Talk

Advanced search

which sling for newborn?

(20 Posts)
mamamila Sun 05-Jul-09 11:51:52

hi appreciate some sling/ wrap/ baby carrier advice

i'm having a c section so probably won't use for first few weeks

i've looked at so many i don't know how to choose. i'm a bit worried by the wrap things, are they really complicated to use?

Wigeon Sun 05-Jul-09 18:58:41

Moby wrap every time. Big long bit of stretchy material. A synch to put on after the first couple of goes with the instructions. Very comfortable. Washable. Baby loved it. DH loved wearing it too. Much more comfortable than my Baby Bjorn.

Friend who had C section also had a Moby and loved it.

Wigeon Sun 05-Jul-09 19:00:39

PS - friend who had the C section didn't buy a pushchair until her DS was 6 months old, and only used the Moby for the first 6 months, and says she'd do the same again next time. She was definitely using it a few days after giving birth (obviously not walking for miles and miles, but still using it).

cyteen Sun 05-Jul-09 19:03:07

I second the Moby - took me a couple of tries to get the tie right but after that it was a lifesaver. Cosy and snuggly, my DS loved it and used to sleep for hours while I had the use of both hands at once grin

My tip would be to tie it on much tighter than you think as it does stretch after the baby's been in for a while.

Lots of the mums on my antenatal thread who had sections also loved the Moby.

Good luck!

chaya5738 Sun 05-Jul-09 19:03:13

We bought a Moby wrap. Our baby hasn't been born yet but I have practiced tying it on and it seems relatively easy provided you don't give up.

peachygirl Sun 05-Jul-09 19:08:46

I have a coorie and will be using it again. Very easy to use.
It's fleece but you can get a thinner one for the summer. A kimmer
here

SummerLightning Sun 05-Jul-09 19:11:12

I used a Close carrier, similar to the moby I think in terms of stretchy fabric but it has rings to tighten it with so that you don't need to tie it. Not used a Moby but both I and DH loved it, I had a c-section too, was definitely using it a significant amount after 2 weeks, to begin with just DH used it mostly but he was small and I tied him high up enough that he didn't kick my stomach, so it was fine.

MrsBadger Sun 05-Jul-09 19:16:10

I had a Calin Bleu wrap (like the Moby) and tbh it defeated me and was hard to get dd in and out

eventually got a simple pouch thus but one with padded rails (eg a hotsling) would have lasted dd longer as by the time she was 18m it cut into the back of her legs

mamamila Sun 05-Jul-09 22:57:03

thanks very much for replies

i've been looking at a lot of these wrap slings today and like the idea of distributing the weight and wearing the baby close, i just wish they didn't have so much fabric

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Jul-09 23:04:28

the bigger they get, the more of that fabric they use, remember. i have a kari-me, much like the moby i think. i'd HUGELY recommend it, but it can be a bit warm in this heat. i think the calin bleu do a lightweight one, but it's less stretchy.

i had a cs with dd2, i really had no pain at all with it. i was on paracetamol from day two, and tbh only took them to keep the nurses happy. went home with dd in the sling just fine. it's a big op, but i felt completely sorted after a week. the scar itself was numb for ages, but no pain. good luck!

FaintlyMacabre Sun 05-Jul-09 23:04:51

We had a Moby and loved it. However, we had a winter baby. If your baby is due soon then it might be a bit warm in a stretchy wrap.
A mei tai carrier (we have a Babyhawk) might be a good idea in this heat. There's only one layer of fabric over the baby, but still very supportive. The only drawback (I think) is that you can't do a cradle hold, only upright. My DS hated lying in the cradle hold anyway so this wouldn't have been an issue for us but yours may be different!

oopsacoconut Sun 05-Jul-09 23:05:07

Moby/kari me are fab - DD spent most of her 1st 6 months in it - stopped loads of nosey germy old people from touching my PFB wink grin grin

thisisyesterday Sun 05-Jul-09 23:09:12

moby moby moby moby moby moby moby moby moby moby! grin

mamamila Mon 06-Jul-09 09:02:57

brilliant, this is why i love mn, a moby it is then!

now if you have any advice on sterilisers and bottles i'm going to ask that question next...

CherryChoc Mon 06-Jul-09 09:35:53

Don't worry about all the fabric, honestly, a shoelace would look long if you took it out of your shoe as well and most people have no trouble with them

The stretchy slings are great with a newborn because you can have them very high up. I used to make sure DS' bum was above my tummy button and his head was within kissing reach, so he really was high up. The secret is to tie it on about as tight as you would wear clothing, and then slip the baby in so that they are really tight and secure.

cyteen Mon 06-Jul-09 10:10:06

Yes, I used to wind the Moby just under my ribcage, much higher than I initially thought - DS was kissably near and there was plenty of room for sag.

omgidbi Mon 06-Jul-09 14:03:03

Yep another vote for the Moby Wrap, and I have a discount code from Baby-Bean.com which still works for 10% off - just put SMILE in at the checkout.

mamamila Mon 06-Jul-09 20:35:59

thanks omgidbi, that was very nice of you! i've ordered my moby and have a half price bottle of apricot oil too, no postage either. i'm very pleased, that's something else ticked off the list!

Wigeon Mon 06-Jul-09 20:53:03

Good luck with the Moby! You will get lots of adoring comments from strangers!

By the way, my DD was born 18 June last year and I used it all through the summer.

cyteen Mon 06-Jul-09 22:41:44

Oh yes, be prepared for lots of people to say things like "he/she looks very snug" or "that's the way to travel!" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now