Talk

Advanced search

Side by Side or one in front of the other?

(28 Posts)
jessicasmummy Mon 16-May-05 22:02:27

Will need a double buggy come october when new baby arrives due to jess being only 14 months when this one is born.... we already have an urban detour double given to me by my friend - brand new, hardly used.
Dh however has said he would rather a one in front of the other buggy - what do you all think? it would mean selling the urban detour and hoping to get enough for it to pay for almost all of the new one we decide on - HELP!

stitch Mon 16-May-05 22:09:49

i had the urban detour double with my two, 19 month age gap. it was absolutely wonderful. couldnt recommend it more . infact i think i should get a commission from mothercare, the number of times i have praised ti.
depends entirely on your lifestyle. if you intend to use the car a lot, then it is a heavy pushchair to get in and out of the boot.

jessicasmummy Mon 16-May-05 22:11:26

i do plan on using it for the car - as short trips ill put babe in the sling.... and if dh is with me we can use the buggy and stroller..... just if im on my own or dh is on his own!

wheresmyfroggy Mon 16-May-05 22:16:32

The marcosky is size of normal umbrella fold and is light and fairly cheap, only catch is baby can only use from 2/3 months

HTH

wheresmyfroggy Mon 16-May-05 22:23:37

Here it is costs about £139

jessicasmummy Mon 16-May-05 22:25:34

not really newborn friendly tho?! thanks for the tips anyway x

janeybops Mon 16-May-05 22:25:55

i had a side by side. age gap of 2 and half years so didn't use it for long. mainly because dd started biting ds when he was asleep. so she had a couple of warnings and then had to walk...

it was Ok but not to good for folding into a car. graco duo light

CountessDracula Mon 16-May-05 22:26:26

blimey I thought this was a thread about 12 bores for a minute!

wheresmyfroggy Mon 16-May-05 22:27:47

pmsl countess

wheresmyfroggy Mon 16-May-05 22:31:36

Here is the perfect double for baby and toddler

jessicasmummy Mon 16-May-05 22:37:32

quite a groovy little thing that is! not sure jess would be too impressed tho!

wheresmyfroggy Mon 16-May-05 22:39:16

Our dd s (18 months and 5 weeks ) both love it.

MarsLady Mon 16-May-05 23:00:23

ugly ugly ugly. All I can think is dog poo, exhaust fumes. Yuk yuk yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (The Phil and Ted)

ScummyMummy Mon 16-May-05 23:32:12

I hate those. Seems so unfair on the poor kid underneath shaded entirly from the world around.

AussieSim Tue 17-May-05 04:08:03

I've bought a 2nd hand Ozzy Explorer - older version of the E3. The side by side being too wide to be practical when shopping or walking on narrow footpaths and the one in front of the other being too hard on your neck/shoulders/back to steer - especially as my DS will be 2.5 when DS2 comes along. I was also thinking about abilitiy to fit it into the car.

basketcase Tue 17-May-05 07:58:21

the e3 isn’t that bad, my friend has one. The child underneath can see out of the sides really well, just has a roof! She puts her sleepiest one in the back and the most alert/one needing the most checking/talking to in the front. It saves her a lot of space and seems really robust.
Much much better than those long lorry type ones or the extra wide "make no friends" type side by side ones.
In our local small shops with little aisle space at all I reckon she wouldn not get through the door let alone round the shop with any other. Worth considering the types of places you will be visiting before buying as size is a massive issue. If you live in rural area with poky shops go for the most compact you can or shop via internet only.

lockets Tue 17-May-05 08:12:53

Message withdrawn

ScummyMummy Thu 19-May-05 08:15:06

Oh that's good, lockets. It sounds like a different animal in the flesh so to speak. Sorry- I can't have been reading properly- didn't pick up on the fact that you and froggy had one for your kids or I wouldn't have been so rude about it.

sweetkitty Thu 19-May-05 09:05:43

With number 2 on the way now and a gap of 18 months I was about to ask the exact same question, I love the E3 but it's so expensive DP would never let me spend that much on a buggy since I already have a Graco Quattro travel system and a Techno XT.

I really don't kknow what to get, saw a double Maclaren the other day and it looked OK.

Nemo1977 Thu 19-May-05 09:10:18

my ds will be just 2 when no.2 is born and ive decided to go for a zooper combi which is a pram with a toddler seat. Suppose it depends on how much your little ones fall asleep in the pram but ds doesnt as much now.
no good at links im afraid

bigdonna Thu 19-May-05 22:14:52

i found a sid by side maclaren was good for me i had 20mth old and newborn i could get into shops no problems.i had a tandem this was very heavy ,i had to put the heaviest and biggest in front small one in back.,this making it very heavy to push up hills or kerbs im sure now they have probably brought out a lighter one.the maclaren folded up nicely in the car too.

loulabelle222 Thu 19-May-05 23:17:13

i think side by side is more practical..getting around shops..and other awkward places. With the ones behind one another the one behind doesn't get to see much either

lockets Thu 19-May-05 23:23:33

Message withdrawn

loulabelle222 Thu 19-May-05 23:29:44

i just feel sorry for the baby behind! they have no daylight!

lockets Thu 19-May-05 23:32:08

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now