Talk

Advanced search

glass protector plastic sheet stuff - know what I want but dont know where to get it

(10 Posts)
Steaknife Thu 02-Jul-09 13:42:59

LO is starting to crawl and pull up to standing on things, which is great, but we have interior and exterior doors that have long glass panels in. Glass panels at just the right height for her to go head first through.

I doubt the glass is safety glass so I want to find some of that plastic sheeting that you can put over glass to make it shatterproof. Spotty youth in our local baby shop looked a bit blank when I tried to explain what I wanted.

I am currently searching on amazon but get everything from pc screen protectors to sunscreen.

Oh and it needs to be mail order to France too.

Thanks.

Meglet Thu 02-Jul-09 13:49:53

I got some from a baby catalogue (can't remember which one). But I discovered it doesn't stick to patterned glass (which I had), it only works on plain smooth glass. I ended up replacing all the interior porch glass with proper safety glass.

sammysamsam Thu 02-Jul-09 13:56:15

Just asked this q'n to our local glass shop as and they said they do this sheeting which only comes in 50m roll length (60cm width)at £64 p/unit.. but also advised that it may be found in B&Q..

Said all Brit doors are 'shatter proof safely glass etc, but over in Europe laws are not 'as' strict.. good luck with the search

Steaknife Thu 02-Jul-09 13:59:07

found some

Blimey cant afford to replace the glass maybe I should make her a safety helmet out of bubble wrap.

CMOTdibbler Thu 02-Jul-09 16:35:57

Purlfrostdo safety film too

difficultdecision Fri 03-Jul-09 09:46:40

look on ebay baby.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Safety__glass-film_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ20433QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec 0Q2em282

I got some a lot cheaper from there when people bought it and never used it.

ps. having ruined a fair few attempts the trick is LOTS of water between the glass and the film (use a spray bottle with a few drops of washing up liquid) to get the bubbles out and leave it alone over night. It will look awful when you go to bed but great in the morning.

gemmad3 Fri 03-Jul-09 11:24:51

I had some glass safety stuff given to me, as it was surpless. It's from Mothercare, but I didn't use it in the end. You can have it if you want?? Gemma x

Steaknife Mon 06-Jul-09 14:58:25

Gemmad3 that would be very kind if you would send it - how shall I get my address to you and the postage - do you have a paypal account?

SteveSingleDad Thu 06-Aug-09 17:06:13

Acccidents involving glass account for 36% of severe accidents to children under the age of 14. Therefore, it is a serious issue.

Wired glass and single pane annealed glass (non-toughened) are the worst offenders.

Take a look at this safety window film site.

I work there. Call them and they will steer you to the right solution with absolutely no obligation to purchase.

niche Thu 06-Aug-09 23:02:39

We're about to move into an old house with below waist sash windows, have 5dcs under 6.5 and window safety has been a real worry to me.

I've bought large sheets of polycarbonate plastic sheeting to cover the bedroom windows but haven't tracked down safety film for the higher windows yet, so links very useful. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now