Talk

Advanced search

Experienced cooks, your frying pan expertise needed please ..

(10 Posts)
clumsymum Thu 02-Jul-09 13:22:41

Once again I'm throwing out a frying pan cos the non-stick stuff has all fallen off, partly cos I'm rubbish about not using metal utensils in it, partly cos it has to go in the dishwasher (don't even suggest we don't dishwash it).

For years, we have just grabbed a cheap frying pan in the supermarket when we need one, used it for 6 months or a year until the non-stick is damaged, then sling it and buy another cheapy.

Hubby now suggests we invest in a good one, he thinks a good quality pan, NOT non-stick, would be a better idea.

What would you do, and can you recommend a good pan?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 02-Jul-09 13:30:47

I have just splashed out £30 on a pan from Lakeland I love it. I too was sick of cheap ones.

It definitely SHOULD NOT go in the dishwasher but it really doesn't matter as it is so easy to wash and I put everything in there normally.

Eve4Walle Thu 02-Jul-09 15:24:49

We have this one. Pricey but will probably last you forever.

This

nightshade Thu 02-Jul-09 15:46:59

i never buy non stick anything. at least if it is stainless steel you can give it a good scouring.

TKMaxx always a favourite for cut price quality cookwear. i prefer a deep pan so as to make spanish omelette stir fry etc. go for a heavy base so as it will take the heat.

clumsymum Thu 02-Jul-09 15:52:36

Eve, thanks, but I'm too feeble to manage le creuset

damnhayfever Thu 02-Jul-09 16:45:05

from working with i chef i learned one way of 'proofing' a non stick pan,giving it a surface which stops food sticking-
heat the pan up(very hot) with oil and a fair amount of salt before using and then wipe it out with kitchen roll. works a treat ,coating washes off with detergents ,so then repeat process .....

mrspnut Thu 02-Jul-09 16:47:21

I second TK Maxx, I bought a couple of Stellar omelette pans from there recently for under a tenner each and they will last for ever.

CountessDracula Thu 02-Jul-09 16:49:43

Tefal ones are fine, they have a coating that should be ok with metal utensils

If you must dishwasher them then grease with oil again afterwards
I just wipe mine clean unless there is something on it like sauce in which case I rinse in warm water and re-oil.

MadameCastafiore Thu 02-Jul-09 16:54:00

Get one of the Pampered Chef ones - or we have one that is non stick but not sure whp it is by - you can melt plastic in it and it will not stick but you can;t stick it in the dishwasher or use a scourer on it - but you don;t have to.

I will endeavour to find out who made it - it has a 25 yr guarantee and if you crak the lid (which is glass) they send you a new one free - it did cost £90 though!

sweetnitanitro Thu 02-Jul-09 17:07:45

I've got a couple of John Lewis ones that have lasted me ages, I can't remember exactly how much they were but they can't have been that much or I wouldn't have bought them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now