Talk

Advanced search

Bike for 2year old, any good ideas?

(15 Posts)
Gingerbics Wed 01-Jul-09 21:25:46

My dad has offered to buy my little'un a bike for her birthday next week but told me to choose one, not sure where to start, any suggestions really appreciated, cheers!

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 00:47:45

balance or running bikes are good.

My DS has an early rider and i have heard that islabikes are good.

mummymash Fri 03-Jul-09 22:54:02

My ds got a 'Specilized' 'Hot Walk' for his 2nd birthday. He's now 3 and he is really confident on it, scooting around everywhere. Its similar to the 'Islabike' thats been recommended. Maybe worth doing a search to see about the different sizes of frames as suit different children i.e. body/leg length. Balance bikes eliminate the need for stabalisers as child develops the correct cycling balance rather than relying on support of stabalisers.They then go straight onto a 'big' bike:-)Good luck.

giddykipper Fri 03-Jul-09 22:57:57

We got this for DS's 2nd birthday. He loves it. Can't pedal yet but he puts his feet on the pedals while I push him along. I didn't want to get a balance bike as I thought it would have limited use, I was worried he would push himself into the road.

weepootle Fri 03-Jul-09 23:02:57

Definitely get a balance bike rather than one with stabilisers. Dd1 got a Likeabike at 2 and was riding a pedal Islabike at 3 without ever having stabilisers.

Take a look at the Islabike Rothan.

giddykipper Fri 03-Jul-09 23:04:17

But when do you use a balance bike? Do you feel comfortable using it on a pavement?

mawbroon Fri 03-Jul-09 23:14:49

My ds has a balance bike and we go everywhere on it. But it sat in the cupboard for the first 6 months or so because he didn't like it. We bought it for his third birthday, and it's only been the last couple of months that he has really got the hang of it.

My ds really seems to have a need to be in control and the balance bike is great because it's his feet doing the stopping and starting rather than pedals and brakes. He whizzes along so fast that i can't keep up with him!!

He is a reluctant walker, so the bike means that we can cover more distance. We go everywhere by foot or on the bus, and we just bring the bike on the bus too.

I will say, however, that it would have been a waste of time and money for his second birthday, but as always, kids are all different.

mummymash Fri 03-Jul-09 23:21:13

My ds goes everywhere on his. I think we take the same precautions as we would with him on a 'normal' bike. I'm happy for him to be on his bike whilst I'm pushing pushcair behind. Ds took about a week to build confidence up to 'scoot' rather than walk with bike. I think main thing with pedal bikes is the child focuses too much on using pedals than building own balance skills. Have a look on 'You Tube' for clips of bikes in use. Which ever you choose, your dd will love it don't worry too much

blithedance Sat 04-Jul-09 00:09:49

Isn't 2 a bit young for a bike? A tricycle with a parent handle might be better, they aren't great to push but a 2yo won't have stamina/road sense to operate on her own.

We have a balance bike, now on second child, but really they were 3 before they got the hang of it and enough sense to operate safely on pavements.

blithedance Sat 04-Jul-09 00:14:53

Forget that, i've just seen a 24mth old on Youtube on a like-a-bike. Fab!

here

SuperBunny Sat 04-Jul-09 00:26:10

Puky balance bike

weepootle Sat 04-Jul-09 09:10:21

Definitely not too young at 2 for a balance bike. DD1 got hers on her 2nd birthday and within a day was lifting her feet off the ground, within a week she was scooting all the way down the street.

Like others have said though, they're all different. My neighbour's ds has had his balance bike for a year and still can hardly take his feet off the ground.

Gingerbics Sat 04-Jul-09 13:56:43

Thanks everyone, there's plenty to go on there. Loving the Youtube clip! x

nappyaddict Fri 07-Aug-09 16:47:16

One that looks exactly like this is only £39.99 from here It's not on the website so you'd have to ring up and order it.

This motorbike version is only £27.99

Kettler 10 inch

Kettler 12.5 inch

nappyaddict Fri 07-Aug-09 16:47:46

Sorry wrong thread blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now