Talk

Advanced search

Lightweight buggy/pushchair for airport for 3month old

(21 Posts)
ceb80 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:07:45

We are going to Spain and France on a combined fly drive holiday and need a buggy/pushchair (ashamed to say I don't know the difference!).
It needs to be suitable for a 14 week old, robust enough to withstand enthusiastic baggage handlers, small enough to fit in titchy hire care with luggage and comfy enough for him to spend relatively long periods in.
oh and of course not cost the earth as won't use it a great deal apart from holidays as already have a Nipper 360 that I love!
Was thinking a 2nd hand Maclaren but think they are only suitable from 6 months?

spicemonster Wed 01-Jul-09 14:13:22

I'm not sure you can get really lightweight ones for babies that young - they have to be able to lie flat and that mechanism is what's heavy. Why don't you just carry him in a baby bjorn or similar? would be much easier

lastboxoftampons Wed 01-Jul-09 14:30:43

I'm not sure which models, but I know that some Maclaren's lie flat for newborns. Won't have the option of facing you of course, but if it's just for a holiday, then I think you'd be fine.

I couldn't see using a sling for an entire holiday.

girlylala0807 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:40:32

I have used a maclaren 4 seasons since my son was born 12 weeks ago.

Itsa grat buggy but mey not be light enough, lies flat though.

girlylala0807 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:41:05

*great buggy not grat

ceb80 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:41:28

I have a sling but it's going to be hot and he's a hefty boy (almost 16lbs already!)

ceb80 Wed 01-Jul-09 15:02:22

girly that fulfils all requests except price! grin

buggylovinmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 15:45:01

The maclaren xt goes from birth, maybe you could pick up a second hand one but they are not very light and are still fairly big when folded.

I have a bjcm (baby jogger city mini) which goes from birth and are fab, really easy to fold and are fairly compact when folded. They have a brilliant hood which almost covers baby completely from the sun but i dont know how much you want to spend, they are £160.

muddleduck Wed 01-Jul-09 15:50:34

I have a maclaren xt which we used in exactly your situation with ds1. It has been fab.

If you would consider 2nd hand then tell us where in the country you are and someone may be able to help smile

NumptyMum Wed 01-Jul-09 15:53:27

I'm still a bit puzzled about the 'lying flat in a buggy for young babies' take that manufacturers have. Yes, on their back to sleep, overnight, when they are in bed a LONG time. But in a buggy, for shortish trips? even a car seat doesn't lye this flat!

I think so long as there is a buggy that can recline well, so that their head doesn't loll on their chest, and you don't intend to have them in it for long periods, you'll be OK. Having said that I have a Maclaren Techno XT... though when I bought it I was discouraged by the pram centre from buying the Silver Cross Pop because it didn't lye flat enough. DS was 3 months old at that point. I'm sure it would have been absolutely fine, in retrospect...

NumptyMum Wed 01-Jul-09 15:54:54

lye? opps, lie!

buggylovinmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 17:38:07

numpty that is why they advise you not to have them in car seats for long periods as its not good for them either.

CarGirl Wed 01-Jul-09 17:43:01

I would recommend a graco citisport, folds very small and compact, lies flat, huge basket and decent hood.

moshie Wed 01-Jul-09 17:50:48

The Graco Mirage lies flat, but it folds in half, not umbrella fold. I also found this which seems a bargain.

iwantitnow Wed 01-Jul-09 18:17:56

obaby v cheap lies nearly flat bought one for london bus journeys

naomi83 Wed 01-Jul-09 19:59:32

folds in half might be better as some rental cars have small-ish longways boots, and you can't fit a maclaren in them

On the other hand this is a great buggy, at a great price...

drinkyourmilk Wed 01-Jul-09 20:05:20

Many companies will hire buggies too.

Could you find out if that is an option? Then just sling it at airport.

ceb80 Wed 01-Jul-09 22:03:52

Wow that's really helpful thank you so much. Am dog tired so am actually going to go to bed rather than MN - a novel idea!
Will have a nosey in the morning smile

Loopymumsy Wed 01-Jul-09 22:07:46

Message withdrawn

ceb80 Wed 01-Jul-09 22:27:50

Ooops still here! muddleduck I am in Suffolk, near Ipswich if that helps anyone who has something suitable to sell.
Right BED!

nicolamumof3 Wed 01-Jul-09 22:30:54

maclaren ryders (currently the spitfire and 4seasons) would but also quest is from 3m and does recline quite far but no flat. xt does but it is much bulkier

you can hire xt from www.rentabuggy.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now