Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a Quinny Zapp and Maxicosi carseat?

(27 Posts)
SabsBigPants Mon 29-Jun-09 20:54:50

I am 27 weeks pregnant with my first baby and we spent this weekend looking at cots, carseats and pushchairs.

We decided to buy a maxicosi carseat and a Quinny Zapp pushchair.

Just wanted to know peoples experience with the two, and also if anyone has a Vauxhall Astra and how easy is it to fix the carseat in the car?

JRocks Mon 29-Jun-09 20:56:51

Zapp okay, but doesn't recline (unless they have changed it since) It's also quite rattly, so I only ever used it as a stroller.

Congratulations btw!

CarGirl Mon 29-Jun-09 20:58:20

Sorry to tell you this but

1. it is not good for a baby to spend long periods of time in a car seat, they need to be laying properly flat as much as possible. Car seats can give them breathing problems.
2. The maxi cosi on the zapp is fairly unstable you cannot hang ANYTHING on the handle bars due to toppling risk. I have seen one fall over and the baby fall out - Mum put her hand bag over one of the handles,
3. You need to check which car seats fit your car best both britax and maxi-cosi give ythis information on their websites.

cheekster Mon 29-Jun-09 20:58:49

I have all 3

The maxicosi car seat, quinny zapp and vauxhall astra! grin

Carseat fitted perfectly, bought the base for the carseat too which made it so much easier.

The quinny zapp is a fab buggy , although this is a recent buy, so didnt attach the car seat to the quinny so cant advice you on that.

SabsBigPants Mon 29-Jun-09 21:19:00

thanks to all for your comments.

I wouldnt be using the car seat for longer than 2 hours..would only be travelling for half an hour max when the baby is 0-6 months.

Zapp still doesnt recline jrocks

interesting about the instability of the pushchair which we hadnt considered

we have our hearts set on it but need to think about safety of the baby more...

please keep the comments coming in!

CarGirl Mon 29-Jun-09 21:31:59

TBH I would consider getting something 2nd locally/cheaply to use for the first 4 months or so as well as the zapp that way you'd be sorted. Something with a carrycot can double up as a moses basket downstairs during the day.

Bibithree Mon 29-Jun-09 21:36:39

We have both, but due ot having twins have only used the zapp as a pushchair not with the car seat on top. Quite flimsy and easily toppled BUT very small, lightweight and a dream tp push even dd1 around in. We've got a Peugeot 107 (not for all 3 kids!) and the app even fits in the boot of that.

MatNanPlus Mon 29-Jun-09 21:38:53

Zap isn't the most stable pushchair out there.

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 21:43:51

That's quite restrictive in terms of how long you can go out for. If you are going to keep the baby in the car seat both in the car and then when using the pushchair, not putting him/her flat in a proper pushchair or carrycot at all, you will only be able to be out of the house shopping or whatever for a total of 2 hours including travelling there and back, if you want to ensure the baby isn't in the seat for too long.

Just based on my own experience, that would be too restrictive, but obviously you know your own lifestyle better than me!

Gooseiscooked Mon 29-Jun-09 21:44:01

We used this combination (without the Astra) for DS from birth and it was brilliant! You can get additions for it on the web (eg. string basket/bag thing that attaches behind it for bits of shopping - the weight distribution is further forward than if you just hang the bags from the handles which makes it more stable). Also, it folds up magnificantly small and is really light - and Astra would fit this in its boot with loads of room to spare.

We were initially concerned about the fact that it didn't recline, but it was never actually an issue - if DS wanted to sleep, he did!

clemette Mon 29-Jun-09 21:45:30

I had the Zapp for DD and when DS came along we used it with the Maxi Cosi carseat with no problems at all. We did use a fixed base so the carseat could just slip in and out.

However, it became not so practical when I wnated to go shopping without the car because you can't attach anything to the Zapp without it tipping up. Also, once DS outgrew his carseat (at 8 months!) we couldn't go out for long trips in the Zapp because he would fall asleep and his head would loll forwards. We have since bought a second hand Buzz for £100 from ebay and it was worth every penny.

You could go for Zapp plus car seat but would probably also need a cheap stroller that can recline and has a shopping basketty thing underneath...

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 21:49:38

Just in terms of background, we have a Buzz that we used when DS was smaller. We'd use the chassis plus the car seat only for short trips to the DIY or whatever, but when going out for any length of time, we'd transfer him into the carrycot when we got there so he was only in the car seat for the journey and could lie flat the rest of the time.

Once he outgrew the carrycot we'd put him in the Buzz pushchair bit, reclining if he needed to sleep.

Now he has a Zapp, which we've had since he was about 18mo, and is absolutely fab for running around town, especially as he is obviously heavier now.

JRocks Tue 30-Jun-09 09:02:31

I wish I'd gone for the buzz in the first place, instead of having the speedi sx, and then the zapp. Think they would have bridged the gap a bit better between each other, IYSWIM

Ponymum Tue 30-Jun-09 14:49:22

Hi and congratulations.

We have the maxi cosi car seat and it is brilliant and feels very safe. We bought the easy base to go with it which is totally worth the money. It makes it SO EASY to take in and out.

We bought the Quinny speedi to make up the travel system with the maxi cosi, and we are really happy with the combination. Very good quality too. Just before DD was born we had a wobble about her spending too much time in the car seat travel system (as discussed above). The speedi goes nearly flat but I would not put a newborn in it. So I went on ebay and bought the pram attachment as well. It was a great decision and we used it quite a lot when DD was very young. It fits into the brackets just the same as the car seat as it is all the same system. (Actually, there's a photo on my profile if you want to see it.)

If it is any help, buying the car seat / buggy / travel system was the hardest purchase decision we had. Best of luck and enjoy your PFB! smile

SabsBigPants Tue 30-Jun-09 22:53:19

thanks to all for your comments. Its really helpful to us a new parents who are a bit clueless blush

I think I will definately still buy the maxi-cosi car seat, but will rethink the pushchair.

The reason the quinny zapp appealed to us so much was because its so light and folds up so small as we live in a 1-bedroom house, but the thought of it toppling over scares us and also the fact that you cant use it from birth

Would appreciate names of alternative pushchairs that is quite stylish, not very expensive, can be used from birth, yet light and can fold away quite small (maybe i should start a new thread!)

Doozle Tue 30-Jun-09 23:01:30

Think you'd do well not to go with the Zapp.

I don't like ours much, it doesn't have a shopping basket at the bottom and so we don't use it a lot. It is good for folding up small though for when you have to travel somewhere. But I'd only get one as a back up travel buggy.

What is your max budget?

SabsBigPants Tue 30-Jun-09 23:10:08

Probably around 200 quid for the pushchair...

Doozle Tue 30-Jun-09 23:23:42

My friend had the mamas and papas pilko one. I remember being impressed how it folded up umbrella style. It also had a lie flat option for newborn stage. I think it's nearer £300 though.

MamaG Tue 30-Jun-09 23:29:32

You could look at 2nd hand of course. I'm about to sell a M&P pliko with carrycot and carseat [hint]

naomi83 Wed 01-Jul-09 07:24:33

I'd get a M&P pliko with carrycot off ebay or mumsnet as they are great for newborns but very heavy for toddlers, so they don't get used much past 6 months. Don't get the carseat that goes with it, it's pants! Then I'd buy a new maxi cosi car seat to stay in the car and a new maclaren quest (on sale in mothercare/kiddicare.com to use after 6/9 months. This way you'll avoid going through lots of expensive new prams, and you only have to spend decent money on the buggy you'll use for 2/3 years.

scattykatty Wed 01-Jul-09 08:17:43

I agree with the car seat comments. We had a Maxi-Cosi to go with the Bugaboo Cameleon, bought the adaptors too but then I just couldn't use it. Something about the DS being pushed around in his carseat just didn't feel right at all. So I used the carry cot that came with the Bugaboo right up until 6 months so I knew that he was always laying flat. When he was 4 months I got a Maclaren Techno XLR which I used for shopping (as you cannot reach the Bugaboo basket in carrycot mode at all!) but that reclined totally flat.

People have said they think the car seat on buggy frame method works really well but I personally agree that you should look for something like a 2nd hand Pliko that you can just use like a real pram until they are 6 months and can go in the Zapp ( I love the new Zapp colours and how light they fold!)

MamaG Wed 01-Jul-09 09:19:49

I found the M&P car seat to be fine, BTW

Ponymum Wed 01-Jul-09 11:21:08

Have you had a look at the Petite Star? We are just about the buy a Petite Star Zia 3 as a second buggy as it is very light and folds up very small. But they also do a Petite Star 4 which I have seen in the showroom. It is slightly heavier than the zia 3, but that's because it is a complete travel system. It is still really light and folds small compared to other travel systems. It might be a really good option for you. It is about £103 for the buggy or £209 for the complete travel system including car seat and carrycot. (Only problem is I don't think you can use the maxi cosi car seat with this system.)

SabsBigPants Wed 01-Jul-09 22:47:16

pony we saw the petite star in babys are us, and we're thinking of getting that instead, as it looks a lot like the quinny but can be used from birth. But would I have the same problem of the pushchair toppling over?

Ponymum Wed 01-Jul-09 22:59:41

I don't know sabs. We have just got the Zia 3 (picked it up today!) and we are not intending to use it with the car seat - it's a light second buggy for us. My gut feeling is that the petite star is not as stable as the Quinny speedi (which is VERY stable) but I have no experience of the Zapp which I think is the one you are looking at. If I were you I would just try then both with car seat in place and see how stable they feel in the shop. Don't be shy about putting it through its paces until you are satisfied - it is a big decision. All the best! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now