Talk

Advanced search

What kitchen work surface do you have?

(12 Posts)
ediemcreedie Sun 15-May-05 12:24:31

And do you like it? I am considering wood, plastic or granite, but I cant decise wheich is lowest care option.

Tissy Sun 15-May-05 12:31:11

we have teak, and it's fine- hardwearing, easy to clean and look after, no problems, really.

ediemcreedie Sun 15-May-05 12:44:50

Does anyone have granite? Is it very streaky? I am also after opinions on Durapal.

ediemcreedie Sun 15-May-05 13:00:29

ediemcreedie Sun 15-May-05 14:01:28

oh dear, does no one have one?

Chandra Sun 15-May-05 14:17:47

Granite is the most wonderful resilient thing that needs absolutely no special care, oiling, etc. The only disadvantage is price.

ediemcreedie Sun 15-May-05 15:38:35

yes, does it show water stains Chandra?
AND is wood very hard to maintain and does that show oil drips?

Chandra Sun 15-May-05 15:59:21

We had wood and we found it difficult as we needed to oil it from time to time and then we couldn't use the surface for some time, you need to clean spills immediatly or the wood may get staind or in extreme cases it can warp (though I expect teka to be much better as it's extensively used outodoors). If you are like us who are a bit absentminded about where we place hot things, you may end up making burn marks to the wood. It is easier to scratch. Sure, that could be easily sanded but still, it takes time and it's extra work.

Granite is another story, any stain stays in the surface so is easily wiped off. Some kitchen cabinets may need to be reinforced to support the weight of the granite.

If you go for stone other than granite ask if it needs to be sealed off and the mainteinance it will need. The only thing that I can suggest you is to avoid marble at all costs as it is very porous and you will get permanent stains if you drop wine, oil or citric juice and there's no way to remove them.

Nome Sun 15-May-05 23:24:21

We have Caeserstone and it is fab - it's an amalgam of granite and quartz and comes in a range of colours. We choose the lightest possible so you can't see water stains or limescale. I couldn't be done polishing it everyday!

soapbox Sun 15-May-05 23:48:19

We've got granite. We got given an e-cloth for it by the kitchen installers and that brings it up like new every time we wipe it. Just water no cleansers or anything else required!

ponygirl Mon 16-May-05 00:18:25

We have granite. I just wipe and then dry with kitchen tiwel - no smears. I love it.

hunkermunker Mon 16-May-05 00:22:21

You could try concrete. Seriously. If I was having a new kitchen, it's what I'd have.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: