Talk

Advanced search

Balance Bikes

(13 Posts)
syed Sat 27-Jun-09 21:59:25

Hi I'm looking to get a balance bike for my 2yr old but was told by someone that the bikes were not good for the child's back as they had to lean forward quite abit which put pressure on their backs. I tried searching the net for anything but found nothing. Does anyone know if this is a problem.

Also which is better Puky or Likeabike.
thanx

HaventSleptForAYear Sat 27-Jun-09 22:00:59

There are loads of threads about this but I've never seen anything about back problems?

I've seen worries about how fast they go on the bikes (ie dangerous out near roads).

syed Sat 27-Jun-09 22:08:32

Thanks haventsleptforayear is there any other alternatives you can recommend I get for my son for the outdoors?

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:11:42

I'm convinced that stabilisers have got to be much much worse for childrens backs as they tend to balance on one side or the other.

Balance bike every time - whatever's best value. They learn quicker and get onto proper bikes anyway.

Stabilisers are the devil's work.

PigeonPie Sat 27-Jun-09 22:19:35

DS1 (3.6) has the middle size Puky and loves it. He had it for is 2nd birthday and will be handing it over to DS2 once he gets a new bike with pedals (but no stabilisers!) when I can get my act together to decide what he needs!

plonker Sat 27-Jun-09 22:27:14

I have been looking at balance bikes for my dd3's 2nd birthday. This Islabike Rothan is the one we have decided to go for.

It seems to get great reviews smile

We have decided to wait until Christmas for dd though as she is quite small for her age. The Rothan needs an inside leg measurement of 30cm and dd's inside leg measures at 27cm ...so I'm hoping she grows before Christmas grin

Never heard about the back thing though ...

syed Sat 27-Jun-09 22:28:02

Thanx

Pigeonpie - is the saddle and handle far apart that they have to lean forward quite abit?

does anyone know the best place to buy the bikes?

PigeonPie Sat 27-Jun-09 22:39:29

I don't remember DS1 having a problem at all. In fact, I've just looked at old photos to remind myself and he seems to sit well and is nicely proportioned. The seat and handlebars also lower nicely and easily.

The only way to tell for your child, though, is to get them to sit on the bike in the shop and take the advice of the sales person as I think that the bike shops who sell balance bikes will generally know their stuff - I wouldn't go to Halfords etc for this!

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:42:07

Plonker -
I was goiign to recommend Islabikes as well, but a word of warning, don't leave it till Christmas to get your order in. Pick up the phone and discuss latest timings with the lady in October/early Nov.

syed Sat 27-Jun-09 22:43:01

Thanx Pigeonpie. Can you suggest any stores around the Enfield or London area that sell them?

PigeonPie Sat 27-Jun-09 22:49:57

Try the Puky Direct website www.pukydirect.co.uk/puky_direct_dealers.php and put in your postcode. However, you might want to make the search quite wide as when I did it first nothing came up in my area.

plonker Sat 27-Jun-09 23:07:13

Thanks for the tip catinthehat - will order nice and early smile

syed Sun 28-Jun-09 10:46:48

Thanks for the link Pigeonpie

Does anyone know any stores around London/Enfield that sell the Islabikes apart from their main website?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now