Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine recommendations (yawn...)

(16 Posts)
redclover79 Sat 27-Jun-09 08:54:38

Our washing machine is on the blink so we are looking for a new one. Our current one is a bosch classic and has lasted 5 years in a hard water area. I'm not sure what to look for but I would like something pretty basic long lasting! DP has looked at a miele and a hotpoint but is a salesman's dream and almost parted with £700 on his lunchbreak yesterday shock
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? Thanks!

slackrunner Sat 27-Jun-09 08:55:53

We love our Bosch. If I was buying again it would be Bosch or Miele.

redclover79 Sat 27-Jun-09 09:56:30

thanks slackrunner, I like our Bosch and my mum had a miele that lasted forever.

ABetaDad Sat 27-Jun-09 10:31:37

Washing machine manufactuerers have been ramming their prices up a lot in the last few months.

Our view is either buy a Miele and it will last 25 years of trouble free washing or buy the absolute cheapest machine you can get and expect to chuck it away after a few years. The in between solutions are the worst of both worlds.

Lived with the cheap as chips solution for the last 10 years and gone through 3 washing machines but now gone the whole hog and just ordered a Miele washer and a dryer which we hope will last until we die or are too old to care about washing anymore.

hairtwiddler Sat 27-Jun-09 10:35:34

Miele. Recommended by washing machine repair man when last one broke.
Worth the money imo. Ours is regularly used and in it's fourth year with no problems. Previous two (other less expensive brands)lasted two years each.

Qally Sat 27-Jun-09 10:35:49

Agree with ABetaDad. Miele are the only brand that aren't designed to die just out of guarantee. If that's too expensive, cheapies.

This site is ace for recommendations.

sammysamsam Sun 28-Jun-09 00:02:46

i'd second miele too..pricey, but great results- i found these lot as the best priced real life shop preferred to buy from non-web retailers, but with internet prices- (easier to deal with as a lot of website sellers had bad feedback on forums)

kiera Sun 28-Jun-09 00:39:32

I've heard lots of bad things about Hotpoints. I had to buy a new one lately and looked into this in some depth. Went for John Lewis own brand in the end as they are as good as the market leaders (same manufacturer I believe) but cheaper. So if you don't want to fork out the extra for a Miele (we would have done but we are moving soon) I'd recommend John Lewis. I did have links but recently deleted them - sorry.

PrincessLayer Sun 28-Jun-09 01:16:23

Have a look at comet auctions
My washer was nearly £200 cheaper than in the shop. It has a dent in it. I can live with that for a £200 discount. The dent is in the side so you don't see it anyway.

(My old zanussi was second hand and many years old when I got it and still lasted 10 years doing 3+ washes a week)

MrsKitty Sun 28-Jun-09 01:17:15

DO NOT TOUCH a Hotpoint! Have had nightmares with them in the past.

Miele is the way to go - Yes, they're expensive but they will last for 20+ years.

Like hairtwiddler we were also recommended to get a Miele by an engineer (when he came out to repair our Hotpoint angry for the 5th time in the first 6 months of its time with us!)

FAQinglovely Sun 28-Jun-09 01:22:30

We bought a 7kg Daewoo a few years ago and it's used either daily or 2/3 times a day several times a week (depending on how well I'm doing at keeping up with the washing grin).

It's still going strong.

redclover79 Sun 28-Jun-09 15:57:21

thanks everyone, we've decided to go with a miele. Just ordered it from the shop and should be with us on Weds grin

Sam100 Sun 28-Jun-09 16:13:30

See you have already decided - so this not much help to you but someone else may find useful! This site gives some good advice here

sammysamsam Sun 28-Jun-09 19:43:17

redclover did u get it from o'gormans or local shop?

redclover79 Sun 28-Jun-09 20:07:38

sammy we got it from Comet in the sale here

wilbur Sun 28-Jun-09 20:09:48

We have one of the Miele ones that they make exclusively for John Lewis - it came with a 10 year warranty (although I think that was a special offer) and it's fab. Brilliant soak and hand wash options - I can even wash some of my dry-clean only trousers in it, no problem. ££ but worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now