Talk

Advanced search

would you buy a laptop from ebay?

(16 Posts)
CountessDracula Sat 14-May-05 18:33:18

If seller had 100% good feedback etc. Warranty with Dell, same laptop direct from Dell would be £200 more...

bonym Sat 14-May-05 18:36:28

Depends how many transactions the seller's made I think - ie. 100% of 2, probably not, but 100% of 50 or more, should be ok.

lemonice Sat 14-May-05 18:48:06

I wouldn't but there was a thread on here recently where somebody had and was very happy with it

SaintGeorge Sat 14-May-05 19:02:37

It was lou33 I think.

starlover Sat 14-May-05 19:05:22

CD... is that a buy it now price? If the auction still has time to run then price could go up.
is it brand new?
and as bonym says... check how many transactions the seller has had.

DP in background here "if things sound too good to be true, they probably are"
such a pessimist!

hoxtonchick Sat 14-May-05 19:19:19

dp has just bought me a dell laptop on ebay for my birthday. it's ace. slight problem with the delivery (it got stolen from parcelforce's van ) but the computer itself is great. apparently this guy was selling a few of them.

CountessDracula Sat 14-May-05 19:29:00

It is new - he has 82 transactions (mostly laptop sales) and no bad feedback - is the buy it now price

lemonice Sat 14-May-05 19:36:28

He probably sells Dell non fulfilled orders which they also do at a discount compare on their site where they do the cancelled orders and if still worth it sounds to me like a ok deal

starlover Sat 14-May-05 19:37:18

sounds ok then CD... I'd go for it!
oh, check his returns policy etc... see if he says anything about what to do if there is anything wrong with it.

pixiefish Sat 14-May-05 19:39:09

my dh trades pc's on ebay so i'd say it's ok to buy pc's. dh says- be very careful with dell warranty as they're not always transferrable- they can be funny about it.

he also says that some traders use ebay to get rid of laptops that they can't sell through their shops because of a (possibly minor) fault- sometimes the battery is poor

pixel Sat 14-May-05 20:27:25

I'm typing this on my laptop I got off ebay and it's great!

Nemo1977 Sat 14-May-05 20:54:07

ermm depends i think. I bought a camecorder on ebay for £400 and was a bit nervous about it but paid via paypal so I knew i would be able to claim my money back.

pacinofan Sat 14-May-05 21:29:36

My hubby bought one of the latest 'notebook' type computers on ebay for about half the usual retail price. I was really nervous, but it's great and he's chuffed to bits with it. Like previous posters have said, it's all down to the seller and how trustworthy they are. We too paid using Paypal, just in case, but all went well.

Good luck!

sansouci Sat 14-May-05 21:30:09

Die, thread, die!

JulieF Sat 14-May-05 22:36:00

Yes,we have had a few laptops from ebay. Dh got them from sellers who trade in ex display/surplus/second hand models and they have always been fine so far.

fatmomma Sat 14-May-05 22:39:14

My dh has bought two. The 1st was just some bloke selling a 2nd hand laptop and it went bang within 2 months. The second one was a reconditioned model from an e-trader - it came with a 1 year parts warranty and is still going strong.

We have been buying and selling on ebay for 6 years and the 1st laptop is the only problem we have every had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now