Talk

Advanced search

Rearfacing Car seats

(17 Posts)
pigleychez Wed 24-Jun-09 20:22:21

Thinking of getting a Britax first class for DD. She is currently 8.5kgs at 11mths.

The seat says forward facing from 9kgs.. does this mean she HAS to be in ff from then or could she stay in it RF for longer.

Id prefer her to be rear facing for a while yet/.

EldonAve Wed 24-Jun-09 20:29:32

www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/first-class-plus/ says it is RF til 13kg

pigleychez Wed 24-Jun-09 20:36:08

Ahh fab!

Ive been looking at so many lately I must of got muddled

nicm Wed 24-Jun-09 22:09:20

britax have loads rf if you look on www.incarsafteycentre.co.uk under rear facing seats

they rf to 18 or 25 kgs so you can use them far longer. i have a 14 mo ds and a 3 yo mindee in the 2 way elite. either that or look on www.rearfacing.co.uk and you'll find loads of seats.

i wouldn't ff at such a young age.

oopsacoconut Wed 24-Jun-09 22:15:53

Our local Volvo dealer has a the Britax freeway in and htey let me take my car (not a volvo) in and check the fit before I buy it. They said RF to 18kg then can be FF I think.

oopsacoconut Wed 24-Jun-09 22:17:10

fixway not freeway

mama01 Wed 24-Jun-09 22:26:54

Go for a RF seat definitely. I emailed Britax asking why they didn't have the Two-Way on their UK website as we are thinking of getting one. They said "This because it is a seat that is made for the Nordic market because of the regulations there."and referred me to rearfacing.co.uk.

Surely if you can buy it in the UK it should be on the UK website............... and why are Nordic babies different from British ones.....

nicm Wed 24-Jun-09 22:38:05

they may be different because they parents are smarter!!??...i rang maxi cosi to ask why the mobi was not available in the uk, they said it was too hard to fit!! hmm i asked them if swedish parents were smarter then and we were stupid? they weren't very helpful.

however, i don't find the 2 way elite harder to fit than i did my mc priori!

Tangle Wed 24-Jun-09 22:38:27

pigleychez - I'd seriously consider getting a proper Grp 1 RF seat if you want to keep your DD facing backwards. We bought a Concord Ultimax (the 1st Class was too big to go in our car) as she outgrew her infant carrier at 7 months and planned to keep her RF till she reached the weight limit. But by the time she was 15 months old she HATED it. We've now got a BeSafe Izi Kid, she's nearly 2 1/4 and still happy as larry telling us what's going on behind.

mama01 - one of the mysteries of the modern world . Talking to UK retailers, they cannot buy Britax RF seats direct - they have to reimport, which is one reason why they are so expensive.

nicm Wed 24-Jun-09 22:41:05

their

Tangle Wed 24-Jun-09 22:46:56

Another answer I've heard is that "UK parents prefer the colour options on the FF seats." I don't know whether that makes me more or angry!

nicm Wed 24-Jun-09 22:52:19

it is a bit of a joke! i don't know why they can't even sell them direct to the customers who request them! britax were much more helpful though on the phone but simon at the in car safety centre was really helpful.

i would have liked the maxi cosi though as i had the priori's in the past and was really happy with them. this was before i knew about erf though.

mama01 Wed 24-Jun-09 23:04:51

I also mithered Mothercare asking about RF seats - to be fair after their first vague response they emailed to say I could get a Britax import from rearfacing.co.uk and that they are looking to "investigate this sector" in the near future.

pigleychez Wed 24-Jun-09 23:07:13

The BeSafe Izi Kid looks good but abit expensive for us at the mo.

Do you think the first class would be ok then?

Or can anyone point me in the direction of other cheaper RF. Nightmare that they are so expensive!

mama01 Wed 24-Jun-09 23:26:38

My dad's giving me the money for ours, £200 for the Britax there or thereabouts. I just told him I couldn't afford it but safety-wise the best option.

Have you tried the emotional blackmail with parents/PIL?

nicm Thu 25-Jun-09 08:38:35

my two way elite was 186.00 from the in car safety centre.

NaccetyMac Thu 25-Jun-09 17:50:43

It's madly expensive. DS2 is 8.8kg at 5.5 months. His infant carrier goes up to 13kg, but I am going to have to get a group 1 RF much earlier than I budgeted for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now