Talk

Advanced search

sun suits/float suits/swim seats etc

(8 Posts)
fairimum Wed 24-Jun-09 11:55:04

My DD is now 13months and loves swimming, we have done some under water swimming, but also loves her swim seat thing for bobbing about. She has now outgrown it and we are wondering what is next, have tried her with arm bands and she isnt strong/big enough to keep herself up - so looking at other options - what are float suits like? can i get a bigger seat? what do you use? Also we are going to wales in a few weeks and planning on lots of time on the beach/pool so looking for a sun suit - are they all much of a muchness? worried will be too tight and she will get hot?

thanks so much

skidoodle Wed 24-Jun-09 11:59:05

I tried a float jacket this weekend with DD (15 mo) and it was rubbish. Maybe a suit would have been better.

She was just bobbing around and had no real control over what was going on.

She also loves swimming, but got bored of a floating swim seat a while ago.

For the moment we're sticking with arm bands, as she can swim around a little bit on her own.

I'll watch the thread with interest...

fairimum Wed 24-Jun-09 12:56:05

Thanks skidoodle - how early was she ok with the arm bands? we tried some on DD when she was about 11.5months and she just couldnt hold her self up and trying to drink the water!!!

skidoodle Wed 24-Jun-09 13:32:30

I first tried them when she was around 13 months. She can't hold herself up brilliantly well and does drink a bit of water, but she enjoys herself and now can swim (about a foot) on her own between DH and me.

I do a lot of carrying her about and towing her gently, so she is moving about in the water supported by me.

We've never gone to lessons with her or anything though, so this is just stuff I've made up as I've gone along.

fairimum Thu 25-Jun-09 10:22:25

Anymore thoughts realy greatly appreciated!

fairimum Thu 25-Jun-09 10:22:25

Anymore thoughts really greatly appreciated!

missusp Thu 25-Jun-09 12:33:30

My friends DS(2yrs old) in his float swimsuit launched himself off from the side and promptly went upside down. Float suit kept him afloat ok but head down in the water and feet up kicking around!! Beware of these. Fortunately his dad was right by him and got him upright v quickly.
I would go for arm bands and just stay in the kiddies pool where they can touch the bottom.

fairimum Thu 25-Jun-09 12:47:44

Thanks this was my worry with float suits so think will avoid them! Problem is no kiddie pool that she can touch the bottom in at local pool or when away (as just a cottage with shared pool!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now