Talk

Advanced search

Firts balance bikes - which one?

(9 Posts)
mejon Wed 24-Jun-09 10:37:55

I know this has been done before but I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to share their opinion.

DD will be 3 in August - she is quite small for her age - and we're looking at getting a balance bike for her birthday. I really like the look of the Puky ones and would probably want to go for the one with a brake rather than the very smallest one. However, the Islabike Rothan is also an option. I'm not too keen on the wooden ones. Could I have your opinions on either/both ? Thanks smile.

OmniDroid Wed 24-Jun-09 10:49:04

We have a Puky without a brake - I think I read that brakes are just an added confusion when they first start, and putting feet down to stop is very natural on a running bike.

The only thing I have against the Puky is it does seem very heavy - DS is 3 and tall, and struggles with it a bit. It's very well made though.

amazonianwoman Wed 24-Jun-09 11:50:51

We have an Islabike Rothan (they have brakes now)

It's fab, highly recommended. Fits both DS 2.3 and DD 5 last week (both are tall for their age)

chevre Wed 24-Jun-09 11:52:48

dd had the wooden one from lidl £12 bargainaramma. i agree brakes are just a distraction and their wee hands are not quite up to the job.

mejon Wed 24-Jun-09 13:23:00

Thank you everyone.

midnightexpress Wed 24-Jun-09 13:29:25

We'[ve got the likeabike Jumper and it's great - very lightweight, not wooden, and no brakes. DS1 got the hang of it almost immediately and I agree that getting the hang of brakes as well might be a bit tricky at 3. DS1 is about average height for his age, and he actually enjoys riding it with the seat really low - he puts his feet up on the crossbar bit and scoots about like that downhill. The seat goes up but not the handlebars, so it's not ideal for very tall children.

peasandbeans Wed 24-Jun-09 13:35:53

Whichever model you go for, check the height of it carefully as compared to your daughter's legs, iyswim. We just got a balance bike for dd2s 3rd birthday, (she is also on the small side for her age) and she is not quite tall enough to reach the ground yet. (Unfortunately for us we bought it online and the blurb about its size was not entirely accurate.)

mejon Wed 24-Jun-09 15:10:43

Ooo - now I'm liking the Jumper one you linked to midnightexpress - another one to add to the mix (quite pricey though?) and I take on board the advice about the brakes - I just thought that maybe it would be something she'd still be riding a few years down the line and would be needing it by then - maybe not? We have seen a Puky in the flesh in a local store so may go and try it for size first as you suggest peasandbeans as she is really quite a little dot.

flowerybeanbag Wed 24-Jun-09 15:13:21

DS has an Isla Rothan. We got it him for his 2nd birthday and the seat is very adjustable so he has it almost as far down as it will go so it fits his little legs fine. He loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now