Talk

Advanced search

What to buy a sensitive outdoorsy 16 year old boy for his birthday?

(10 Posts)
AttillaTheHan Wed 24-Jun-09 09:07:11

Thats it really. My nephew has just finished gcse's, loves outdoor pursuits, plays guitar in a band, loves music but I have no idea specific bands etc. I want to avoid money or vouchers if poss but I have no idea what to get him.

Anyone got any good general ideas?? I'm desperate...
TIA

MarmadukeScarlet Wed 24-Jun-09 09:10:15

By 'outdoor pursuits' what exactly?

stubbyfingers Wed 24-Jun-09 09:10:33

budget?

And what music is he into? Would he like an NME subscription? (bit pricey tho)

PortAndLemon Wed 24-Jun-09 09:24:29

What's your budget?

AttillaTheHan Wed 24-Jun-09 09:26:40

Sorry, went offline for a mo.
I suppose budget is 10-20 quid, he likes camping, climbing, walking, canoeing, windsurfing etc etc.

Not sure he reads nme but a good idea stubbyfingers.

AttillaTheHan Wed 24-Jun-09 09:43:45

Come back here I need help! grin

PortAndLemon Wed 24-Jun-09 10:26:36

You could try

Gerber Clutch Minitool

Army model Light My Fire Fire Steel

Silva Helios Storm Lighter

madwomanintheattic Wed 24-Jun-09 10:31:02

as he's old enough to go back-country with a couple of mates, why not speak to his mum and ask if you can get maps/ walking guides so he can plan a trip for next summer? lakes? snowdonia? scrambling guides? and then tell him next year he can have the train ticket for his birthday? (he can ask his parents for a lightweight tent for christmas lol)

nb - do check with his mum first blush i loved that stuff, but would feel a little cross if someone did it for mine without asking lol...

Lancelottie Wed 24-Jun-09 11:17:28

Headtorch?
Microfibre towel?
Rucksack?
Fancy drinks thingy (my BIL has a Camelbak or some such)

AttillaTheHan Wed 24-Jun-09 12:00:43

Awww thanks for the replies. Some brilliant ideas there thanks.
I love the Firesteel Portandlemon, I think he's just about responsible enough not to start fires anywhere! I presume a camelback is one of those water bladder type things!!

The trip idea is great too madwoman, actually he already has a tent etc and goes away with his mates but map/scrambling guides etc is a fab idea. Must have a look on amazon.

Thanks again grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now