Talk

Advanced search

How long did your DC fit into the Phil & Teds cocoon? DS isn't a big chap but I can't really see it lasting him to 3 months let alone 6...

(25 Posts)
norktasticninja Tue 23-Jun-09 21:44:25

I was very dubious about getting a P&T but with an 18 month age gap a double seemed essential and it was the only practical option so I went for it...

DS is now two weeks old and not particularly big at all (was 7lb 2oz at birth) but, if I lay him feet-to-foot in the cocoon there's only about 8cm left above his head. Bugger. Surely he's going to grow out of it loooong before he can use the doubles seat?

Am most worried. Do babies actually grow much slower than I remember hmm I've DD's from birth pushchair and I could use it with a buggy board but that is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Can anyone give me hope?

Metatron Tue 23-Jun-09 22:01:17

If he grows out of it you just pad up the seat for comfyness and leave him in the main seat. It will be fine. The cocoon is really just a convenience so you can lift him in and out in it.

MegBusset Tue 23-Jun-09 22:09:06

DS2 grew out of his cocoon by 5 weeks. I don't know anyone who has been able to use it past 6-8 weeks.

Now (8 weeks) he goes in the bottom bit without the cocoon -- it's a bit of a pain getting him in and out but otherwise it's fine.

daisydancer Tue 23-Jun-09 22:18:52

My little one grew out of the cocoon quickly too. I bought the Phil and Teds cosy toes which is like a sleeping bag. I used it on the bottom of the P&T, after the cocoon, for ages. He had lots of room and was very cosy. I'm sure you could find a more reasonably priced sleeping bag thing for the Summer months. DS2 needed it during the winter. I found my P&T invaluable.

norktasticninja Wed 24-Jun-09 06:30:14

Thanks all! Sorry not to get back sooner - DS had other plans.

'tis a shame it wont fit for long, oh well. Is DS not in danger of sliding out the front if he's not behind the 'step' that holds the cocoon in place? There are so many straps and fixing in the underneath part under where the cocoon sits, wont it be really uncomfortable?

I've still got the Bugaboo footmuff from DD, did you just lay your DS2 on top of the footmuff as if it was a mattress daisydancer?

turtle23 Wed 24-Jun-09 06:37:29

Bugger. Didn't realise this and have just bought a P+T with cocoon for new baby. Bugger.

norktasticninja Wed 24-Jun-09 07:21:30

I had no idea either - BUT despite my reservations it is a fantastic wagon! We've not been out much yet but there have already been several situations where I'd have been really stuck with a side-by-side double...

Which one did you go for? We ended up with the Vibe.

belgo Wed 24-Jun-09 07:42:32

DS was 8.7 when born and on the 75th percentile for height. The cocoon lasted until he was 6/7 months, and his head was right up against the end. It is a very good pram.

norktasticninja Wed 24-Jun-09 09:14:34

That's good to hear belgo! Did he just fold his legs up or you need a shoehorn to get him in? Was it not too hot?

I must admit I'm a bit paranoid about DS getting too hot - DD was born in November so this small-baby-and-warm-weather thing is all new to me blush

hairygodmother Wed 24-Jun-09 10:46:42

My dd2 was never partic big but I think I used it until she was at least 6 months (staggered I can't remember more clearly, she's only 15 months now!), her head did come up to near the top but she was perfectly comfortable and it really helped her to sleep if she was underneath like that. Not sure about the overheating thing, I think you just don't cover them up too much? She always seemed to be v toasty in there so I'd say maybe not overdress your ds? I think in summer I just put a muslin or something under her so she was comfortable. I do remember having to wiggle cocoon a bit to get her in but nothing too difficult!

On another note, and something I always mean to check, once dd2 was out of the cocoon, I put her on the top seat and dd1 (who was 2) in the bottom. I have a feeling this is probably not the way you're supposed to do it (is heavier one supposed to be in front?) but they both seemed q happy with it.

Good luck anyway, and don't be dubious about the P&T, I absolutely LOVE mine and am so glad I got it. Esp as I had a c-section so had to walk everywhere for the first few weeks. I still use it now as a single pram as it's much easier to push than my other one, esp when having to grab dd1 and so push pram one-handed!

belgo Wed 24-Jun-09 10:49:20

He just fitted in, I used it until his head was right at the top. No he wasn't too hot.

HuffwardlyRudge Wed 24-Jun-09 10:52:29

Quite a few of my friends and I have a P&T. We all put some money in a pot and bought a cocoon between us. So far about 5 babies have had a couple of months use out of it and no one feels too out of pocket.

norktasticninja Wed 24-Jun-09 11:13:39

Thanks all, it's good to hear there's some chance of him fitting for a reasonable length of time! I'm not sure where DS falls on the centile chart for length, they don't 'do' centiles here and he's not actually been measured yet...

hairygodmother - I think the heavier DC is supposed to go int the top/front seat but I've heard plenty of people (on here) say they've put them at the back/underneath.

traceybath Wed 24-Jun-09 11:20:59

Ooh i've got the vibe ready and waiting for arrival of dc3 in a few weeks.

Quick question - with the toddler seat - i've set it up so its in the lower position with baby underneath but then how does the safety bar fit on?

DH is adamant that the toddler seat should be in the higher position whilst baby is in cocoon but i'm so small i'll barely be able to see over the pushchair if thats the case.

Am also worried as to how long cocoon will last as currently one of DS1's teddies is in it and seems to fill it up.

Kayzr Wed 24-Jun-09 11:21:33

About 2 months!! But he was a very very big baby.

Meglet Wed 24-Jun-09 11:28:19

dd lasted 4 1/2 months, I kept her crammed into it as it was still the snowy winter. Once we got to the end of feb she had to come out.

TBH I don't think they need the cocoon in the summer, those things are warm.

We have the sport and once dd was in the back seat i reclined it so she wasn't at all upright.

MegBusset Wed 24-Jun-09 13:01:40

DS2 is quite happy in the bottom bit without the cocoon -- he lies on a blanket so it's more comfortable. No way he could slide out. It's also cooler too -- he got really hot in the cocoon.

SparkyMalarky Wed 24-Jun-09 13:08:50

traceybath don't think the safety bar fits on the vibe when the toddler seat's on top - certainly when we were shown how to use it, she only put it on as a single

We currently have the toddler seat in the lower position, but i think you can have it either way - I don't think it makes any difference to position of the newborn - just depends how long elder child's legs are!

I luuurrve my vibe btw.....and i have the cocoon

porcupine11 Wed 24-Jun-09 13:21:00

DS lasted four months in the cocoon, and he is very big - 8 lbs 10 oz at birth and always in the 'next size up' for length. Then I transferred him to the flat or 'nearly flat' position for sleeping with a folded blanket underneath him. He didn't notice the difference! The only downside is that it's hard to keep blankets in place on a P&T.

And also that one of the tyres has just gone flat - does anyone know if they are easy to mend with a bike puncture kit?

fairimum Wed 24-Jun-09 13:27:28

Really easy to fix with puncture repair kit, just the same as on a bike - But i highly recommend getting some 'slime' from a bike shop - it goes inside the tyres and then if get a puncture the 'slime' fills the hole as soon as it happens and seals it so tyre doesnt go flat! - is fantastic stuff!

porcupine11 Wed 24-Jun-09 13:29:42

Thanks fairimum, I've never heard of that slime, but will track some down!

Meglet Wed 24-Jun-09 13:49:38

If you are desperate then most bike shops will mend the puncture for you. I had a bad run of punctures at the start of the year and the blokes in the shop put new inner tubes and tyres on for me. Costs a couple of £ extra, but gets the job done quicker than I would! They put the slime in the tyres too.

gussymooloo Wed 24-Jun-09 13:53:15

My YD was in it till she was nealy a year, she loved to sleep init in the cot, think she felt snug and safe, i found it was too hot to use with the pram once the weather warmed up and just used a blanket.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 24-Jun-09 15:40:14

4 months for ds2 and he's quite short (9th centile then iirc).

daisydancer Thu 25-Jun-09 15:09:26

Sorry for late reply!

I put DS2 in the P & T's sleeping bag just as if he was in the cocoon he seemed fine. I don't think he slippd around. You could stuff the foot end though.

I also have the Bugaboo, which, now DS2 is 2, I use all the time. I still love it! I'm sure you'd be able to use the bugaboo cosy toes bottom as a matress in the P &T. Just a little sheet on top would be fine in this weather!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now