Talk

Advanced search

LAPTOPS is there any make that needs avoiding, or any that are particulrly good ??

(29 Posts)
NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:13:22

Because I am getting a headache looking.

I had one on order from Tesco, a bargain but they have cancelled because it is out of stock sad

Particular opinions on Dell and Acer ones would be good, as have seen good deals for both.

Thandeka Tue 23-Jun-09 14:16:22

No to Advent- the trackpad goes nuts!

Quite like Dell and have had reasonable service from mine (4 years now) but is serviced through work and has had to go in about once a year for silly things like battery going nuts.

timmette Tue 23-Jun-09 14:20:46

Not Acer, or Medion.
I love my Packard Bell - also had a good Toshiba and a good Sony - both of which have been passed on to relatives and are still going strong.

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:21:11

Thanks smile

Dell do have on on offer until tomorow, which has about £100 off it and a larger memory upgrade or something lol.

I wish I knew what I was talking about grin

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:22:14

Ah yes Toshiba have been mentioned to me a few times. Alot of people seem to have Toshiba ones.

Hadn't looked at Hewlett Packarxd, so will do that now.

Bucharest Tue 23-Jun-09 14:23:03

I love my Sony Vaio, but I don't know any different!

timmette Tue 23-Jun-09 14:23:38

It kind of depends on your budget and what you want it for or to do - dh is a computer geek - I hear a lot about them.

orangina Tue 23-Jun-09 14:23:42

I hate my Dell and would never buy one again, if that's at all helpful.....?!

orangina Tue 23-Jun-09 14:24:44

Would go for Sony or Samsung next time around....

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:27:30

Oh blimey ok, maybe not dell then lol.

Hmm think Sony is over my budget. Max budget is £400 but would prefer it to be nearer £300 and it apprently needs to 2gb or more.

timmette Tue 23-Jun-09 14:29:29

Yes Sony is more expensive I got a show model with 30 % off so was lucky.

Dh suggests Packard Bell do one with everything in for under 400 that I belive he thinks he's getting soon.hmm

IDidntRaiseAThief Tue 23-Jun-09 14:32:41

nutty, i am toying with the idea too. (pirate) Have also heard that Toshiba are good. Yet they are failry £££ anren't they?

chevre Tue 23-Jun-09 14:32:45

acer are fine if you check the model on the web - battery life not so good.

dell are a good relieable company but i think they are overpriced.

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:33:16

Lol tim, thanks.

Cheapest Sony I have found so far is £428

chevre Tue 23-Jun-09 14:34:34

depends what you need it for. if you are all about watching movies etc sony are good for sound and visuals. for browsing the internet and watching the odd catch up thing acer are fine.

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:34:38

Toshiba aren't too bad pricewise pirate, have found some for about £320.

What i ned is for someone to say 'buy that' lol.

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:35:23

It will be used for browsing and msn and watching stuff on iplayer and that is about it. I am keeping the main pc for the dc to use and will continue to store photos etc on that.

IDidntRaiseAThief Tue 23-Jun-09 14:46:52

see, my problem is this nutkins, how do you use the laptop, if you have a pc, is it cos you has a dongle or something!!

I know nothing more than you. Please enlighten me. grin

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:49:53

I have a wireless connection pirate so can use it with that. Tbh I have no clue how any of this works as my brother sets it all up. I just pay for it lol.

Is your current internet connection wireless ??

NervousNutty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:50:18

Got to fetch monsters now but will be back to fret over this more later lol.

orangina Tue 23-Jun-09 15:24:45

I have had my dell for just under 2 years... I upped the spec on all sorts of items to suit me and after about a year, the battery was nearly completely knackered, even though I more or less use it like a desktop and always have it plugged in. I then looked into replacing the battery, only to find that they cost something like £150 +VAT (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and I also came across a whole forum of disgruntled DELL users, all complaining of the same battery bollocks.

This is just ONE reason why I'd never get a DELL again....

Jacksmama Tue 23-Jun-09 15:29:53

Avoid the Toshiba satellite A70. That model is known for problems with the AC adapter in the back - it eventually comes loose and then the battery won't charge because the plug-in and the port don't connect tightly enough.

Acer are great.

But if you can afford it I'd recommend buying a Mac over everything else.

IDidntRaiseAThief Tue 23-Jun-09 16:58:02

nmo but i have a wireless and talk box form orange still in it's box, has been for 3 years!

not a clue what it's for.

Snorbs Tue 23-Jun-09 17:29:55

At work we've gone through Toshiba, Sony and Dell. The business-model Dells are the most consistently ok out of those three. The Sonys were fragile and they took ages to get repaired. Some Toshibas are great, some are deeply flawed. The Dells were generally more reliable. I'm not sure what their consumer-grade stuff is like, though.

I'd recommend having a look at Lenovo, too. They're the company that used to make IBM's laptops (and are heavily rumoured to make laptops for several other companies) but are now going it alone.

NervousNutty Wed 24-Jun-09 13:46:32

Ok, could someone cast an eye over this Acer one for me please and tell me their opinion.

http:/here

Reviews for it are very good, stating good memory size, battery life etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now