Talk

Advanced search

icandy pear - pros and cons please!

(15 Posts)
babybillandsplodge Tue 23-Jun-09 10:29:53

I'm sure this has been done to death, but have some specific questions and wondered whether any of you knowledgeable people could help me out! smile

We are expecting DS2 in October, DS1 will be 16 mths, so we need a double buggy/pram.

I would like it to be a parent facing one - are there any other parent facing doubles on the market cos I can't find any?! blush

I would also prefer the kids to be one behind the other rather than side-by-side, simply cos it makes the buggy narrower and easier to get round shops, narrow pavements, etc.

The other thing I like about the icandy is that once DS1 wants to walk I can convert it back to a single buggy - any others do this?

However, the icandy looks big to put in a boot (we have a Zafira), any one know how compact it folds? How easy is it to fold?

I've been told that the baby may grow out of the carrycot v quickly but the seats are only suitable from 6 mths - this doesn't make sense!

The seat for toddlers looks quite snug and my DS1 is a big boy - is he going to grow out of it quickly?

Are there any alterntatives?

The only one I've seen is the P&Ts but that's forward facing and I really don't like the baby compartment.

TIA smile

babybillandsplodge Tue 23-Jun-09 17:15:54

bump smile

LadyClaret Tue 23-Jun-09 17:44:41

My second child is due in July and I have ordered the pear- after much research and soul searching. I don't have a great history with prams- DS1 has had 4 prams (including 2 strollers) and he is only 2yrs old!! I just want the pram to be the best.

I too liked the idea that they are behind each other. I tried DS1 in the larger toddler seat and he is big for his age and he fitted. His legs are longer than the lip of the seat but he could rest them on. I pushed him around in it and it was not too heavy.
I have had the Icandy cherry and liked the design.

I was going to buy the P&T vibe but a friend's baby grew out of the cocoon at 3 months and then they are expected to be sitting up. Therefore she has sold that and bought the 'City jogger'- but that is side by side.

I did compare the carrycot with the cocoon and the carrycot on the smaller seat unit is bigger.
Unfortunatley you can only get a large and a small unit to fit on the pear, so I would just try your toddler in both of the seat units.

I did alot of shopping around for price because they are expensive- got the pram, 2 seat units and a small carrycot cover for £605. It is worth ringing around bec websites are not allowed to display the price!
Hope the message is not too long!
Good luck with your decision making!!

babybillandsplodge Tue 23-Jun-09 18:05:32

thank you ladyclaret, that is really helpful - and you're obviously a bit of an expert!

like you say, it is sooo expensive and i don't want to make a mistake when spending so much money blush

thanks again smile

whereeverIlaymyhat Tue 23-Jun-09 22:10:57

First wheels is rear facing and you can have a carrycot as is the easywalker duo.
hth

5inthebed Tue 23-Jun-09 22:43:14

Icandy are bringing out a smaller version of the pear, called peachblossom and I think they look better than the pear. Bigger seat up front for the toddler as well as some pretty nice colours. Due to be released in August I think.

HTH

LadyClaret Wed 24-Jun-09 09:56:10

I had thought about waiting for the peach but have been suck in a cycle of waiting for an Icandy pram to be released with the Cherry.

They have delayed the release date already and I would not be surprised if it does not come out till sept. There are some threads about the peach- one of the testers talked about it and said it was good. However, with all great prams I think it comes with a big price tag!!!

I would think carefully about buying the first round of prams because I did with the cherry and sufferred some teething problems. But there could be no issues with this pram and that is why there has been a delay.

Since your baby is due in Oct I would certainly have a look at the peach- I hope I don't get pram envy. DH says the pear is the last pram no matter what grin

babybillandsplodge Fri 26-Jun-09 15:35:14

Oooh, that peach looks fab - don't suppose anyone knows how much it will be retailing for?

kazbeth Fri 26-Jun-09 15:57:00

"I was going to buy the P&T vibe but a friend's baby grew out of the cocoon at 3 months and then they are expected to be sitting up."

That's not the case .. I didn't even buy the cocoon thing but still had my baby lying down for nearly 6 months. I just strapped her in with a buggysnuggle type thing to make it cosier for her.

5inthebed Fri 26-Jun-09 18:04:24

Not sure on the price, but if you contact Icandy, or a shop that sells Icandys, they might be able to tell you.

lola2008 Tue 07-Jul-09 22:03:48

I visited The Golden cot when we were in Bath last weekend, they showed me the icandy price list with Peach on it. There are actually 3 different peaches depending on whether you need single or double, they even make a twins version. Pictures are on the makers website too. wink

LauraN1 Wed 08-Jul-09 15:52:21

I only tried the pear in the shop and even without load I found it difficult to tilt on the back wheels (like when you need to go up a pavement). I have a P&T and find it much better balanced.

And as my daughter did not like lying down, I had her in the seat from 3 months. She liked it and I don't think she will have any health probs because of that. Anyway, I often have her in a sling and use the back seat for shopping storage :-)

babybillandsplodge Wed 08-Jul-09 20:21:33

Thanks Laura, that's interesting - I had heard the P&T could be v heavy and cause back problems?

I'm seeing a friend at the weekend who has an icandy so will test the pavement thing!

lola, it's the peachblossom I think?

irene2 Tue 14-Jul-09 21:02:23

I have pear now, a trick with it is to take the handle to max height just before going up a pavement, this reduces the weight your lifting my miles, (Mark recons it almost halfs it) when up the curb just let down the handle to your usual height - it takes only seconds.

lola2008 Tue 14-Jul-09 21:11:20

try this link for full pear v Peach test.

http://www.madeformums.com/hot-stuff/icandy-peach-vs-icandy-pear/941.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now