Talk

Advanced search

re: Breakdown cover - really annoyed with the AA, who do you use and would you recommend them?

(13 Posts)
AnguaVonUberwald Sun 21-Jun-09 14:01:18

The AA have really annoyed us, which is a shame as DH has been with them for years.

However, we are moving our business. Who do you use and would you recommend them?

EldonAve Sun 21-Jun-09 14:03:05

gem assist - never had to call them out yet though

moneysavingexpert has price comparison tips

cornsilk Sun 21-Jun-09 14:06:53

gren flag, Called out once on a Sunday - came out really quickly to 'fix' my flooded engine!

cornsilk Sun 21-Jun-09 14:07:21

That's green flag!

AnguaVonUberwald Sun 21-Jun-09 14:12:59

I have just been online - and the "special price!" that the AA offered us, after I complained, is actually higher - than if we just joined online!!! Cheeky little so and so's!!

cornsilk Sun 21-Jun-09 14:14:55

Our's is free with our bank account. I would also get it free with my union. Check the benefits of organisations that you are already a member of - you may be entitled to free membership.

Sidge Sun 21-Jun-09 14:24:44

Corporate Roadside Rescue.

Fab little independent company that use local garages so you never have to wait too long. Great value too.

Thandeka Sun 21-Jun-09 15:00:31

I have autonational rescue and they are amazing- (have had about 5 callouts with them including one on a sunday which they drove me the hour back home then came back for me on the monday morning to take my car to the garage).

I have the platinum cover (pick up from home etc etc.) and it is about £66 per year this year for me to renew (despite all my callouts!) so quite reasonable really. I think the first year you are with them you get 15 months for the price of 12.

My only tiny gripe is once we were stranded on dangerous roundabout- did a callout but then a tall dark handsome man came and towed us to safety and temporarily fixed the car for us but said we would still need it towing home- we called them to say the pickup had changed and they got a bit arsey but then they were fine. Phew!

hocuspontas Sun 21-Jun-09 15:03:49

RAC is free with Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Always pleasant and quick.

VeraChuckandDave Sun 21-Jun-09 19:36:38

Had Green Flag for a while, but found them very slow.

RAC now. Will price match any quote from other rescue services, and very quick to respond to calls (even in the back of beyond). They prioritise you if you have children in the car.

I'm currently with GEM Assist and they've been good, when I've needed them. I've previously been with Green Flag, Britannia Rescue and RAC. The only one of those I wouldn't go back to if the price was right, is the RAC.

karise Sun 21-Jun-09 19:46:09

Britannia Rescue- can get it independently or through the Civil Service Motoring Association. They use the rescue trucks of independent garages so can get to you incredibly quickly! They even make sure you can get home after leaving your car wherever you want to take it.

ByTheSea Sun 21-Jun-09 19:48:39

I get RAC as part of my bank account. They have been fabulous each time I've need them - quick, polite and helpful. I used to have AA and was never really that impressed at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now