Talk

Advanced search

Do you love your Wii? Does it get used a lot? Please talk to me.

(20 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Sat 20-Jun-09 12:57:38

We bought a Wii.

After all the massive build up I thought I'd love it more. I mean, it's okay but not really life enhancing.

I use Wii Fit which is not bad. Not as good as going for a run, but something different, and quite useful to get a bit of exercise done while the children are asleep.

We have Wii Sport. Meh...

Dh has a shoot-em-up game which he quite likes.

Are there any good games that our 3-yr-old might enjoy? She loves the idea of joining in and has a go at Wii Fit and Wii Sport.

Are there any fun family games? Something we'd all enjoy?

Are there any thinking games, or is it all baseball and golf and guns?

Having bought it I am keen that we get the most out of it, and I can't help feeling that we're sort of missing the point at the moment...

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Jun-09 13:00:38

Mario Kart

but for adults ps3s are far more fun!

plonker Sat 20-Jun-09 13:02:21

The Wii is played with in fits and starts in our house really.

The games we most play with as a family are Wii Play and Big Brain Academy although Big Brain could be a little difficult for a 3yo.

The dd's love Mario Cart too but again, I don't think that would be suitabe game for a 3yo.

Not much help there was I?! ...

Slubberdegullion Sat 20-Jun-09 13:11:49

Huff, we are in the same boat. I was super excited but am not so thrilled about it now.

Can you tell me does there come a point in the wii fit where, say if you were doing the yoga, you can do some sort of 'class' where there is a different pose one after the other and you aren't having to press the bleeding button over and over to do the next thing?

I'm looking for games for my (almost 4) and 5 yo dds. The disney princess game is just TOO MUCH. I can't bear it, I simply will not tolerate anymore disney, girly pink brain washing shitola in my house.

<and calm>

The peppa pig game looks like it might be fun and do-able for them.

I wil lurk with interest.

bluebump Sat 20-Jun-09 13:13:05

I only have Wii Sports and Wii Fit. I was a bit let down with Wii Sports but I think if I had another remote and someone to play against I would enjoy it.

I LOVE my Wii Fit but then I am not at all sporty and so at the moment I do half an hour a day of various exercises. It is new though so I fully expect the novelty to wear off especially now i've unlocked all of the yoga poses.

gigglinggoblin Sat 20-Jun-09 13:16:00

We use it mostly for game cube games, we bought a couple of second hand game cube controllers and they prefer them to the wii!

HuffwardlyRudge Sat 20-Jun-09 14:17:04

Oh poo. I was hoping to be witheringly told I had completely missed the point and gently shoved in the direction of complete Wii fulfilment.

Not just us then?

I will look for Wii Play.

What is Big Brain Academy? Sounds good.

Will also look for some revolting Princess game or possibly Peppa if I can stand it. What sort of things do they have to do in the young children's games?

<bleakly contemplates throwing more money at the bloomin thing>

TheChewyToffeeMum Sat 20-Jun-09 14:27:50

I just got ea sports active 2 weeks ago and it seems much better then wii fit (for grown-ups though). Much less button pressing and I do actually need the waiting around between exercises to catch my breath sometimes.
DH likes Shaun White snowboarding.

Still not found a good game for 3yr old.

Does anyone have wii music? it looks like it might be good for little ones to join in.

FigmentOfYourImagination Sat 20-Jun-09 14:30:29

We heart our Wii

We have...
PS2 x2
PS3 X2
XBox360 x2
PSP x2
Nintendo DS x1
Nintendo Wii

The Wii gets the most use from us as a family. The games are intuitive and fun. We only have a few games

Wii Sports
We love Golf
Mario & Sonic Olympics
MarioKart
Wii Play
Wii Fit (waste of money imo)
Family Ski

By far the most popular is MarioKart because we can play together at the same time.

Youngest user is 6 in our household.

Bibithree Sat 20-Jun-09 14:32:42

I iwsh we loves out Wii. So far it has been a fantastic waste of money. Not because we don't like it, but because we don't have the time for it. I'm sure in about 15 years we'll love it grin

Seona1973 Sat 20-Jun-09 14:54:08

dd and ds (5 1/2 and 2 1/2) like to play Mario Party 8 and ds can even do some of the mini-games. He likes having a go at bowling and golf on Wii Sports too.

dooneygirl Sat 20-Jun-09 14:59:22

Another vote for Mario Kart. I have a 3.10 year old, and she is able to play. She comes in last a lot, but is getting better, and sometimes she doesn't. She still has a lot of fun. I hate video games for the most part, but love it also, and usually once or twice a week we'll all sit down and play, and it is fun for DH and I, and our 3 and 5 year old. (And the 5 year old is getting to the point where it is hard to beat him.)

HuffwardlyRudge Sat 20-Jun-09 18:12:27

What happens in Mario Kart? Is it racing? How do you race?

FigmentOfYourImagination Sun 21-Jun-09 13:52:39

You have a steering wheel each which the wii remote slots into.

You steer like you would do in a car and the accelerator is one of the buttons on the controller. You keep it pressed down to go and let go to slow down and stop. You race around different race tracks and can have up to 4 people playing at once, the screen splits into 2/3/4 if you are playing more than 1 player.

There are 12 people in each race (the remaining 11/10/9/8 are played by the computer) and you race the other players to win a cup (4 races in a cup and you climb a leaderboard). Along the track you can pick up bonus boxes which contain alsorts of things to help you get ahead in the race, you activate those by pressing another button on your controller (a trigger button on the back of the wheel).

The graphics are cartoony and fun and any crashes etc are child-friendly in that there are no deaths/blood and cuts or anything worse than someone spinning of the track and losing a second or two of their race.

It is great for family fun. Our kids are quite spaced out 17, 15.5 & 6 so it is difficult to find a game that they can play together without a) the youngest being at a disadvantage or b) the older two being bored witless. This game is perfect for all 3 of them. Even my mum loves it !

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 22-Jun-09 10:49:38

Thanks Figment

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 22-Jun-09 11:05:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wishingchair Mon 22-Jun-09 13:38:58

I second mariokart. Plus kids do enjoy the more fun games on wii fit and sports. DD1 (6) loves the Disney Princess game. She really likes Littlest Pet Shop on the DS and think you can get games like that for the Wii too.

DD2 is almost 3 and all of these are totally beyond her.

vonny67 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:47:31

I love my Wii. I have 2 DC's 12 and 8 and they both play on it a lot. Endless Ocean is a really good game that everyone can play. In it you're an undersea diver and get to swim with lots of differnt types of sea life. It's a gorgeous looking game and educational too. I also have wii fit which I love but i don't use it as much as I should!

GossipMonger Mon 22-Jun-09 14:51:17

I cannot believe how many consoley things some of you have! shock

Not being a judgey pants at all but when do you have time to play all these things?

We have none of 'em! No Nintendo DS - nothing and still there is not enough time in the day to do things.

Boys watch some TV but not loads so when do you do these gamey things.

<GM realises she sounds like an old Granny and apologises!>

tribpot Mon 22-Jun-09 15:00:05

Our Wii gets a lot of use, probably more than it should but DH is disabled so looking after ds (4 today - my baby!) is easier in the house.

We like:
- Madagascar 2
- Endless Ocean
- Cars
- Harry Potter
- bowling on Wii Sports

Ds can't play on his own for the most part and gets frustrated with things like golfing which he can't understand how to play (even though he does reasonably well!)

Ds does like deliberately doing it wrong as well, so will play ski jump on the Wii fit and deliberately not stand up so he goes rocketing off into a snowball (ditto the header game where he lets the football boots and panda heads hit him because he likes the noise it makes!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now