Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for some nice soap. Is Lush any good?

(23 Posts)
Ceolas Thu 18-Jun-09 18:37:04

And do they have any more in store than they do online?

Ceolas Thu 18-Jun-09 19:55:07

Bump

I always find the smell a bit overpowering when I walk past but I wonder if it's just the combination of perfumes...

bran Thu 18-Jun-09 20:01:45

I don't like Lush products at all, they're not as skin and environment-friendly as they imply they are IMO. I found them quite harsh and not terribly effective.

What are your soap requirements? Do you have difficult skin? Do you want a particular smell?

I use this in the shower with one of those nylon puff thingys. It makes my skin less flakey and sensitive. Sometimes I use Original Source Lavender shower gel instead. I don't really use bar soap at all, I use liquid soap for handwashing (usually Waitrose own).

mrsdisorganised Thu 18-Jun-09 20:04:09

Like you I've walked past the shops and though 'ooohhh bit much!' but I've been bought gift boxes and actually love them! Would buy for myself now, there are alot to choose from and they don't use lots of 'nasties' in the products. smile

mrsdisorganised Thu 18-Jun-09 20:06:05

blush after reading your post Bran going to find out exactly what they do out in their products.....I get bad eczema and they haven't affected it although I don't use on a daily basis!

bran Thu 18-Jun-09 20:41:24

Lush has SLS in a lot of their products. It seems to me that what they sell is run of the mill toiletries with extra natural bits added. Since I've stopped using products with SLS in (except for handwash) I've found that I haven't had an outbreak of psoriosis (sp?). I should probably buy some natural handwash because I do get contact dermatitis on my hands from all the washing associated with having a child in nappies.

If you like really good quality natural stuff then Burt's Bees is the bees' knees (pun intended). I use their shampoo and it's the best of all the many I've tried.

Ceolas Thu 18-Jun-09 20:42:39

I was just looking for a few soap bars to put with teachers' end of term gifts. I was originally going for Arran Aromatics but there is a Lush at the shopping centre I'll be visiting tomorrow (and it's cheaper blush).

bran Thu 18-Jun-09 20:48:07

If you're not actually going to use it on your own skin then go for whichever is easiest to buy. grin TKMaxx is often good for fancy soaps if you have one nearby.

RustyBear Thu 18-Jun-09 20:51:29

I work at a school & I buy Lush soaps for the ladies loo - this totally unrepresentative sample of junior school teachers prefers Rock Star, Bohemian and Karma. Chox Away and I Should Coco had generally negative reactions, and opinion is split on Honey I Washed the Kids - they seem to either love or hate it.

Qally Thu 18-Jun-09 20:56:34

The Naked Soap Company are gorgeous. Genuinely what Lush market as being.

hocuspontas Thu 18-Jun-09 20:58:52

Try these gorgeous soaps from Grass Routes. I use the patchouli and orange and the dds use the tea tree and nettle. Yum.

Ceolas Thu 18-Jun-09 21:12:38

That's funny, Rusty. DS' teacher is very young and glam and I was thinking of Rock Star for her. I'll pop in tomorrow and see what they have to offer.

Horton Thu 18-Jun-09 22:38:31

Etsy has loads of really nice soaps and other bath/body stuff. Well worth a look.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 18-Jun-09 22:42:26

The Naked Soap Company - "holistically handcrafted soap".

Sorry, but PMSL. grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 18-Jun-09 22:42:47

It looks lovely, btw, I'm not dissing the product!

Qally Thu 18-Jun-09 23:05:46

LMAO, yeah, it's poncey isn't it? Mum got me some after ds was born, as I have really sensitive skin and it was going nuts - the soap really was lovely. But how you holistically handcraft something, I don't know.

Poppity Thu 18-Jun-09 23:30:13

Isn't etsy an american sight, are there problems with postage/extra charges?

Is there a UK version?

<crosses fingers very tight>

Poppity Thu 18-Jun-09 23:30:41

sight site, oops!

theDreadPirateRoberts Thu 18-Jun-09 23:44:45

Lush soap isn't soap - it's solid detergent bars. [grrr]

If you're anywhere near a John Lewis, you can probably find Australian organics - they do a lovely (real) soap or two.

kiddiz Thu 18-Jun-09 23:48:35

DD loves those bath bomb things from lush. I hate them...always full of bits of dead plants that look like the sweepings from the bottom of a rabbit hutch that then stick to and stain the bath and are a nightmare to clean off. They block the plughole too!!!

theDreadPirateRoberts Fri 19-Jun-09 00:28:03

kiddiz - you can make your own with some soda bicarb and the smallest possible amount of essential oil to bind it - squish into a mould et voila - no more twigs in the bath smile

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 19-Jun-09 00:38:42

Home made bath bombs And if They cart me away for googling "bomb", I'm blaming you lot. grin

kiddiz Fri 19-Jun-09 00:44:25

lol thanks for that. Something for dd to do this weekend. She actually likes the floaty bits ....goes to school with bits of twig stuck in her hair...but I will ensure the homemade ones are twig free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now