Talk

Advanced search

Pushchair - am I being too picky? Help!

(6 Posts)
alana39 Thu 18-Jun-09 17:22:20

Hope I'm in the right place! All your mumsnet recommendations / warnings welcome. I'm expecting 3rd child, needs are:

- light enough to get over a steep hill
- not too big for a bus (I don't drive)
- reasonable size shopping basket that can be accessed easily (so no Mclarens please, have one of those for later anyway)
- choice of rear and forward facing
- not tyres you have to pump up
- not too big when folded down (other kids' stuff in car boot too, needs to be stored indoors at night)
- adjustable handle height as I'm tall and get back pain
- not one you have to buy with a car seat (have several of those!)

Optional - carrycot - would like one, but happier to compromise on this than other points

Am I asking too much? Price less important than getting the right one - don't have to buy much time but as I don't drive I have used pushchairs most days for 3-4 years with my older 2 so this is my one essential.

CherryChoc Thu 18-Jun-09 17:52:57

Can just tell you what I have The Loola Up. I love it, I think it's fab, it doesn't seem to get recommended much, possibly because the Loola is supposed to be a bit rubbish, but the Loola Up seems to have solved all the problems with the Loola. You could also try looking at the Streety or other bebeconfort pushchairs.

- light enough to get over a steep hill
I live on a steep hill and it's not impossible. I think it is slightly heavier than some other buggies but the wheels turn very easily. I find it much easier to push this buggy up the hill than walk up carrying something of medium weight

- not too big for a bus (I don't drive)
It fits easily on every bus I've tried - I don't drive either. But if your local buses require you to fold it first, it might not be a good one as it's quite tricky to fold/unfold one-handed holding a baby (though if you were using with a carrycot, then it wouldn't be a problem as you could put the baby down, and it is very quick to fold with 2 hands)

- reasonable size shopping basket that can be accessed easily
Reasonable size, yes, also can hang a changing bag on the handle unless the handle is in its highest position. There are carrier bag hangers on the handle too. It is easy to access in forward-facing mode, on rear-facing mode you do have to walk around to behind the seat or reach around the side.

- choice of rear and forward facing
Yes, also has 4 recline positions both ways, you can recline/sit it up with the child in it, it saves the position when folded, and you can switch from rear-to-forward-facing really quickly and easily, almost one-handed!

- not tyres you have to pump up
Tyres are smallish and not air tyres.

- not too big when folded down (other kids' stuff in car boot too, needs to be stored indoors at night)
It folds umbrella-style, also you can remove the seat (one handed) when folded or before folding if you can't fit it in somewhere.

- adjustable handle height as I'm tall and get back pain
Handle is adjustable to 3 positions (you'd have to try this out I think in a shop)

- not one you have to buy with a car seat
It doesn't come with a carseat. You can buy a compatible one, but the pushchair seat part lies 100% flat for a newborn and goes rearfacing by itself, so no need to use it with a carseat. If the car seat you have is maxi-cosi you can buy an adapter to make that compatible too.

- carrycot
You can buy a compatible carrycot, I didn't bother because the seat unit lies flat but the reviews I've seen said the carrycot was lovely and looked very comfy.

Price was around £220 when we bought it which included the chassis + seat unit, (including reversible seat cover) hood and raincover. I also liked the fact it has 2 modes of suspension, one smooth for newborns and one for more easily getting up kerbs etc. You can set the wheels to swivel or go straight. And I love the fact the seat cover is reversible, it feels like I have a new buggy every 6 months wink - the summer side is wipe-clean as well and breathable whereas the winter side is more snuggly. Also as you have older children - you can push it one-handed as it has a bar style handle rather than 2 separate ones.

alana39 Thu 18-Jun-09 21:10:41

Thanks CherryChoc will have a look

pramspotter Thu 18-Jun-09 21:11:48

Cool. I have been waiting for someone to recommend the loola up as a good walking pushchair.

fairimum Thu 18-Jun-09 21:14:24

We have an icandy cherry and which does all the things you want! lovely all round - highly recommend it!!

fairimum Thu 18-Jun-09 21:15:30

ooo re-read and you would need an icandy apple for the adjustable handle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now