Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Websites selling cheap children's reading books

(18 Posts)
Wills Thu 12-May-05 14:44:32

Amazon doesn't really offer that great a discount once you've put the shipping value on. My dd is reading Ladybird books and we'd like to get her one a week so I'd like to buy a pack of them at discount.

Yorkiegirl Thu 12-May-05 14:45:21

Message withdrawn

Wills Thu 12-May-05 16:03:51

Are they good? Do you have to belong to them?

marz Thu 12-May-05 16:09:40

www.redhouse.co.uk
Have not necessarily got ladybird books but there are plenty others to choose from!

Not a club, ie you buy when you feel like it.
They do charge p+p though

roisin Thu 12-May-05 16:26:45

Wills - yes, the Book People and Redhouse are both great. You don't have to make any commitment to buy a certain number or anything like that, and they have some good offers. Redhouse tend to have newer books, the Book People tend to have the best offers.

I use them both - more than I probably ought

Mo2 Thu 12-May-05 16:40:36

Wills - there are always loads of lightly used books on eBay.

I have bought simply masses so that the 2 DSs have an endless supply.

There are a far few new boxed sets too, which may be cheaper than even the Book People.

merglemergle Thu 12-May-05 16:44:33

1. Re the shipping at Amazon-have you thought of ordering enough to get the free shipping? Then just give her one a week.

2. Do you mind getting the books 2nd hand? If so, the fantastic ABE books may help. You do have to pay shipping BUT for ladybird books will probably be able to find someone doing a box set or something, so will qualify for the additional books rate.

3. Or ebay? Or, obvious I know but charity shops? Or Amazon used?

4. I've started ordering from the US using ABE and also from Amazon.com. The exchange rate is good so its usually cheaper, even with the extra shipping. I've NEVER paid customs, and some of my orders have been over 100 quid. (may just have been lucky). My paranoid brother always calls the seller first, but I've never had problems buying online using credit cards.

5. Are there no mumsnetters with huge, unwanted ladybird libraries? I'm sure we'll be in that category in 12 years time.

Good luck! I can't wait til my son gets to the age where he wants a new book every week.

SoupDragon Thu 12-May-05 16:50:17

Another vote for The Book People Really good value. How old is your DD?

Wills Thu 12-May-05 17:11:48

dd1 is 5. Am off to try sites - thanks

BethAndHerBrood Thu 12-May-05 17:12:54

Do thebookpeople charge p+p? And if so, what is it?? Couldn't find any info on the website!!

SoupDragon Thu 12-May-05 17:17:18

iirc it's about £3.95

SoupDragon Thu 12-May-05 17:18:45

£3.25 for UK mainland.

BethAndHerBrood Thu 12-May-05 17:18:52

Thankyou very much - i knew someone would know!!!

SoupDragon Thu 12-May-05 17:25:13

It's on the webste under "help" "how much will it cost to have my books delivered".

Weatherwax Thu 12-May-05 17:27:13

I always push my book people order up to £25 to get the free p&p. I have a bookworm not a dd1!

SecondhandRose Thu 12-May-05 17:49:23

Boot sales! Don't pay more than 30p.

blueteddy Thu 12-May-05 18:08:06

Another vote for the book people!
I recently purchased a set of 12 oxford reading tree (like used in schools) books for £9.99 instead of £50 something!

Hausfrau Thu 12-May-05 18:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now