Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a toy garage that is great for a 4yo?

(18 Posts)
Dragonhart Wed 17-Jun-09 13:51:59

I am looking for one for hot wheels or matchbox type cars that has loads of ramps and levels.

I have seen this one from argos and from toysrus but it is for ds's 4th birthday so wanted to get something that is more sturdy/better quality and will last.

We have the elc one that he got when he was 1 and it it such good quality. Him and his sister have both stood ontop of it and generally abused it and it still looks as good as new. The one for older kids just doesnt look like it offers much more.

Any suggestions v welcome!

Iklboo Wed 17-Jun-09 13:58:31

Ds has the elc one with lights & sounds. Helipad has helicopter noises when pressed, lift 'bings', exit ramps make car speeding type noises when they sense a car going past.
It's sturdy and he plays with it for hours (although usually it's his dinosaurs attacking it grin)

Dragonhart Thu 18-Jun-09 21:06:42

Anyone?

Dragonhart Thu 18-Jun-09 21:09:19

Sorry iklboo, ment anyone else! grin

I just dont think that the elc one for older kids is that different to the one we have. That is not to say it is not great, just doesnt seem to offer much more. Thanks though.

Dragonhart Sat 27-Jun-09 21:56:10

I am getting desperate now so thought I would try again!

I can find some lovely ones in other countries but they all involve a £20 shipping fee.

Do british 4yos not like paying with cars?!

BexieID Sat 27-Jun-09 22:15:01

This looks quite good. Or this one? Also here without the road bit.

jajoom Sat 27-Jun-09 22:15:15

They all seem pretty similar in my experience. I chose the wooden 'Mikes Autos' garage by Le Toy Van. No flashing lights or sounds, but m son loves it and it looks lovely in the living room!

BexieID Sat 27-Jun-09 22:17:22

I want to get this one for Tom if I ever see one.

Dragonhart Sat 27-Jun-09 22:38:54

BexieID I looked at those but they didnt have very good reviews on other sights.

Do you think of this one? Too young? They also do this one which is cheaper but doesnt look as sturdy.

I like the look of this one but it is not instock. I can get it on a german site but I am paying nearly £80 for the same garage I can get for £43.50 (if it was instock)

Dragonhart Sat 27-Jun-09 22:40:24

jajoom- Showed ds that one as I think it looks lovely too but he was not impressed. He want a plastic fantastic one with loads of ramps and levels. hmm

BexieID Sun 28-Jun-09 08:01:53

Marshall Ward are the same compand as Littlewoods, but they don't even stock it. I'm sure theres another company in the group, poss Great Universal, but am off to work in a minute so can't check for you. When is his birthday?

chocoholic Sun 28-Jun-09 08:29:18

I got the Littlewoods one for my DS for Christmas and it is still in one piece. It is pretty flimsy though, the lift sticks a bit and the ramps do come off quite easily. The road and signs are rubbish.

I bought it with a money off voucher so it only cost about £20 in total so good value at that price. Don't spend lots on it or you will be disappointed.

I'm another fan of the old style Fisher Price one that Bexie linked.

clayre Sun 28-Jun-09 08:40:18

the toys r us one 'fast lane' one will break if he breathes near it, we have the Elc one and ds loves it althou im always putting it back together

Dragonhart Sun 28-Jun-09 10:05:54

I know clayre! His cousin has the fast lane one and he loves playing with it but it is a pita as he constantly wants me to put it together again.

Dragonhart Sun 28-Jun-09 10:07:56

Thanks chocoholic- I had almost decided to splash out on it!

Is that fisher price one available anymore? I dont seem to be able to buy it form anywhere except ebay?

Dragonhart Sun 28-Jun-09 10:10:27

Thanks bexie- His birthday is 26th july so got a bit of time.

BexieID Sun 28-Jun-09 15:18:58

That Fisher Price one is discontinued (always the good stuff that gets discontinued). I keep looking in the charity shops hoping to see one, or i'll get one from ebay but they are quite big.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Sun 28-Jun-09 19:28:07

The Le Toy Van 'Mike's Autos' garage. Very, very popular here. Played with first thing after breakfast every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now