Talk

Advanced search

Sand pits

(10 Posts)
pasturesnew Mon 15-Jun-09 21:03:45

What is your opinion about sand pits? We have just removed a small pond from our garden and might put a sand pit in instead, alternatively it will probably be a flower bed. I am worried that they are often cat litter trays in effect so would like one with a well-fitting lid.

Have found this attractive thingy on line but it is expensive and probably a bit silly too: www.johnlewis.com/230551253/Product.aspx

Any better ideas please?

mumtoted Mon 15-Jun-09 21:18:28

I bought my daughter a sandpit a few years ago. It looks like a wooden table but the top lifts off. It has a bench built in one side, a bit like a mini picnic table. I now have a son (2) who loves it. In fact kids of all ages love to play with it, Well worth the money and looks nice on the patio too. Got it on line but don't remember the name of the company, sorry.

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Jun-09 21:21:35

we turned the large pond in our garden into a sandpit
took 7 tonnes of sand

I have never seen any cat shit in it

we have had it for 7 years and nesxyt door have two cats

the lkids play in it ALOT

pasturesnew Mon 15-Jun-09 21:24:17

Thanks both. TrinityRhino has it got a lid? Or are there no cats near you?

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Jun-09 21:27:22

we are out in the sticks but there are two cats next door (semi detached house) and one cat the other side (small cottage next to us)

It doesn't have a lid as I wouldn't be able to move it on and off, tis large

pasturesnew Mon 15-Jun-09 21:31:40

sounds like my fears may be misguided then, do I need a liner or do I literally just fill the hole with sand?

pasturesnew Mon 15-Jun-09 21:33:34

or, mumtoted, is yours like this one: www.johnlewis.com/230474829/Product.aspx

trixymalixy Tue 16-Jun-09 12:59:51

we have this one

It doesn't have a lid, we have 2 cats and they have never used it as a litter tray (touch wood!).

pasturesnew Tue 16-Jun-09 22:05:50

Thanks, that looks good, 1/2 price at the moment too I see smile

jajoom Tue 16-Jun-09 23:00:04

Just wanted to add that I wouldn't recommend the TP Forest wooden sandbox (or any of a similar design). I bought this last year as I was determined I needed a wooden style instead of those cheap plastic coloured ones. It did look lovely in the garden, but the lid (a nylon-type flexible cover) was always pooling with rain water then leaking. The liner is waterproof so you can't use it without the cover or you'd have a paddling pool. Last month I scooped out 5 bags of moldy sand and sold the sandpit on Ebay!

If you have proper drainage you could use a sandpit without a cover. The sand needs to able to dry out properly between showers. I think I read somewhere that cats don't like sand (?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now