Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me some toys for 9 month old boy!

(16 Posts)
BikeRunSki Sun 14-Jun-09 21:53:16

DS is 9 months old and needs a lot of entertaining! He is a very busy boy. When he was born he was given a lots of very "baby" toys and a few bits and bats of hand-me-downs. I want to get him some more age-appropriate, interactive toys which he will enjoy, but have had a few disasters, so is getting pricey!

He has some building blocks which he quite likes playing with and a couple of chunky jigsaws.

As a younger baby, he loved
V Tech Moosical Beads cow cow
Rainmaker
Door bouncer

Actually, he still likes these, but is too big for door bouncer.

I have recently bought
leapfrog drum
I can't stand this because of the accent. D is not really that bothered and it is not that interactive - although it has several modes, all of them do stuff without any input from the baby. Even in the mode that does make a "bang" sound, the bang is almost drowned out by the chaotic americanese muzac going on.

V tech ball - which packed up about 3 days after we bought it.
www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Toys/Learning-Toys/VTech-Move-and-Crawl-Bright-Lights-Ball(0024355)?cm _mmc=Feed-_-Google%20Base-_-N%2FA-_-VTech%20Move%20and%20Crawl%20Bright%20Lights%20Ball

So, what toys did your babies love at this age?

Midge25 Sun 14-Jun-09 22:02:37

Stacking cups!

FromGirders Sun 14-Jun-09 22:04:50

Duplo! At the moment he will just look at it, pick it up and throw it around, but he'll keep playing with it for the next four or five years.

mrsjammi Sun 14-Jun-09 22:07:34

Message withdrawn

Jux Sun 14-Jun-09 22:25:15

A big box and some nice crinkly paper that makes a good noise.

Babbity Sun 14-Jun-09 22:36:54

Tomy Hide N Squeak Eggs have been a huge hit with my two - at less than a fiver such good value for years of play.

pebbles79 Sun 14-Jun-09 23:42:48

A ball pool! We've had one for all my kids and they absolutely loved it!

CherryChoc Mon 15-Jun-09 07:10:45

DS loves stacking cups, and things like rainmakers (I made my own by filling an old water bottle with rice and taping the lid shut) He also loves his jumperoo - but silly to spend out on something that big at this age, unless you are sure you will have more DC. I am surprised the door bouncer doesn't go up to this age, actually.

sleepsforwimps Mon 15-Jun-09 08:52:10

My ds is 11 months and he loves cars and anything he can shake or bang together. Simple things like balls, chunky little figures, maracas and stacking cups/rings can be great fun for a 9 month old. Also give them a bucket/bowl/box they can put things in, take them out of, keeps them amused for ages!

This is a good buy my ds spends ages spinning it and my 2 year old loves it too.

sleepsforwimps Mon 15-Jun-09 08:56:06

Oh and this is the best buy ever, my 2 year old and 11 month old both play with it everyday.

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Jun-09 13:48:42

thank you ladies -

I had forgotten about Duplo - my mum has all ours from when we were little, I wonder what state it is in? Probably full of 30 year old bogies!

He has a box of with things like crinkly paper, pine cones, and other "treasure" in.

We have staking cups but have only used them in the bath, I wonder why? and I have just got balls for his paddling pool. Will try them out when it stops raining!

I really do need to kick my imagination into touch!

SpawnChorus Mon 15-Jun-09 13:50:28

Have a look on here for FrannyandZooey's "heuristic play" baskets. Lots of fantastic ideas.

ohdearwhatamess Mon 15-Jun-09 14:25:48

Ds1 loved stacking cups and cars.

Ds2 just wanted/wants to play with whatever ds1 plays with, so....cars.

Small boys can never have too many cars, ime.

naomi83 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:39:14

Don't get the v tech walkwer, it'll do your head in, just search old mumsnet threads! Instead we got a thomas sit and ride. DS loved it aged 8 months as a walker and to be pushed around. Also has a compartment for hiding stuff in which babies/toddlers love. He's now over 2 and still plays with it every day-riding on thomas, feeding him, making train noises etc.

ohdearwhatamess Mon 15-Jun-09 18:16:39

Agree about the vtech thingy. Ours is hidden out of child reach in the garage!

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Jun-09 21:32:16

Thank you all.

In my search for the holy grail of interactive, interesting toys that won't drive me up the wall, I have found these - Wow Toys - full range in local paper shop oddly - they seem fab. No batteries, no horrid voices, jingly bells, wind up and (judging by teh one I bought) pretty sturdy.

wow toys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now