Talk

Advanced search

Good books to introduce DS1 to soon-to-be DC2

(7 Posts)
SarahL2 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:16:59

DS1 is 2 years old. We've got 6 months left to ease him into the idea that he's going to be a big brother...

We've got lots of changes to make including bedrooms to swap.

DS loves to read. I was thinking maybe a book about having a new baby might help him understand.

Does anyone know of a some good ones?

SarahL2 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:00:22

Anyone?

hongkongzoe Sat 13-Jun-09 11:24:38

My new baby and Waiting for Baby I used these 2 picture books with my DD who was 20 months at the time of her brother's arrival. They worked well as you could make the story up to fit your circumstances iyswim. If he's 2 he might prefer there's a house inside my mummy HTH Good luck with the rest of your pregnancysmile

SarahL2 Sun 14-Jun-09 21:18:56

Thanks hongkongzoe I've ordered the "house inside my mummy" one. Wasn't sure about the lack of words in the others but I will keep an eye out for them in the library...

Got a Topsy and Tim one that had some great reviews on Amazon too

charmander Sun 14-Jun-09 21:20:47

mummy laid an egg is sex education forsmall people. By babette cole. Very very funny

neolara Sun 14-Jun-09 21:31:06

IMO, one of the best is "Za-Za's baby brother" by Lucy Cousins. Za-Za's mum has a baby in her tummy, granny comes to stay when mum goes to hospital, baby is born, Za-Za has to deal with mum and dad being busy and tired, but it all turns out OK in the end. Which was pretty much exactly how it was after the birth of my second child.

I didn't find "There's a house inside my mummy" particularly helpful for my 2 1/2 year old. I think it would be much better for a 3 or 4 year old. It's too verbal and doesn't have enough pictures to explain what is going to happen. (My dd had very good verbal skills, but it was still far too complex.)

"The baby catalogue" by Janet and Allan Ahlberg is not about what happens when a new baby joins a family, but has lots of pictures of typical baby things / experiences e.g. feeding (all kinds), playing, toys etc. It's a fantastic book and thoroughly recommended even if you weren't about to have a new baby.

SarahL2 Mon 15-Jun-09 13:15:05

Had a look for "Za-Za's baby brother" neolara - it got panned by some of the reviewers on Amazon!! I think I might have a look for that one at the library too before I buy it. We go almost every week so I'll keep an eye out...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now