Talk

Advanced search

baby monitor recommendations

(9 Posts)
browntrout Thu 11-Jun-09 21:38:02

this has probably been done a million times so apologies in advance....

I am looking for a baby monitor for DC2 when s/he arrives. Last time around I had the most basic model from a friend which made the most annoying buzzing sound, so much so I gave up after about 2 days.

I see that there are lots of high tech video type ones available now. Are they a waste of time/money or have people found them to be useful? Not really got a budget, would rather pay for the right one, but don't want to fall foul of the 'I saw you coming' scenario and end up getting fleeced. I am slightly taken with the video ones but wonder if they are no better than the ones which just have sound?

anyway, and guidance greatly appreciated.

charliejess22 Fri 12-Jun-09 21:14:45

I borrowed a tomy walkabout platinum digital from a friend and when she needed it back i tried a few of the cheaper ones and they were all rubbish, lots of buzzing and interferance and couldnt hear my baby upstairs! I ended up buying a tomy walkabout platinum for myself for about £65 online. Its just fab! No interferance or buzzing, has the temperature and a night light, a feeding timer and talkback facility. Also read reviews on one called lights and sounds i think that was very good and a lot cheaper but i havent actually tried it myself

sammysamsam Sat 13-Jun-09 23:13:11

i have a tomy walkabout classic advance digital (one step down from the 'platinum' as above!) its fab, no interference, has a digital temp display and light display. i love it. dont bother with high tech video ones, don't need them..or those with movement pads which you place under mattress..there's nothing worser than making a new mummy paranoid!yep, the tomy's are my number 1 too.

Dalrymps Sat 13-Jun-09 23:16:42

Tomy here too, have the walkabout classis advance. They're 20% off on amazon at the moment. Really good sound, can hear ds breathing smile

fairimum Sun 14-Jun-09 06:57:45

We have an angelcare one with sensor pad, never made me paranoid helped me get more sleep as when woke in the night i could just hear the ticking (can be turned off!) and know DD was ok (ie still breathing) so didnt get out of bed to check on her, which I would have done otherwise!

meep Sun 14-Jun-09 07:52:04

we got an angelcare one with dd2. We didn't buy it for dd1 as were told it would make us paranoid - in hindsight it waould have saved us hundreds of trips upstairs to "check" if she was still breathing and saved our sanitygrin. We have the ticking switched off and there is a little light that flashes to show they are breathing. The only annoying thing is when you forget to switch it off when you pick up teh baby for a middle of the night feed and the alram goes off.

nicolamumof3 Sun 14-Jun-09 08:37:29

as long as you get digital shouldn't have any interferance or buzzing. we have the bt one it was about £50 from boots has lots of features and still going strong 3yrs later(used for third baby)

browntrout Sun 14-Jun-09 18:45:08

thanks so much. I think a digital one it is and I'll shop around for the best price. I am glad I dont need a video one - it did all seem too much like spying on the poor child!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 14-Jun-09 18:49:07

Don't get the Tomy walkabout basic model it's crap, we're on our second one after the first one just lost its sound all of a sudden! we got given a second one otherwise we would have gone for a different model. Lots of interference too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now