Talk

Advanced search

Question for computer buffs?

(10 Posts)
ilovetrees Thu 11-Jun-09 08:12:25

I have a horrible feeling that someone, ie ex-husband, is accessing my laptop remotely. Sometimes when I come to log in my computer tells me that I'm already logged in. This happens quite frequently. Is there a reasonable explanation for this or am is my paranoia getting the better of me. About a year ago, he told me some things that he could pretty much only have got from my computer (although I could be wrong). Is there a log that shows all activity? Is it possible at all?

Would be very grateful for some advice. Thanks v much.

foofi Thu 11-Jun-09 08:17:39

You can get programs like CyberSentinel - (which some people on MN are currently using to 'spy on' their children's computer use). It can be accessed from any computer.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 11-Jun-09 08:19:39

he couldn't access it while it is shut down as far as I know, but it isn't too hard to hack in while it is on and he could be getting info that way. Is your firewall switched on?

ilovetrees Thu 11-Jun-09 08:26:16

Thanks Foofi and Chops. CyberSentinel sounds scary. Can it only be accessed when computer is on? Chops my firewall is switched on but will check.

Can I find out if he is using CyberSentinel?

foofi Thu 11-Jun-09 10:43:25

No, but it just shows 'freeze frame' images of what you've been looking at, lists websites and chat logs etc, it doesn't allow you to remotely USE their computer IYSWIM. You can look at this while their computer is off as it is a log of what they last looked at.

foofi Thu 11-Jun-09 10:46:29

When we installed it on dd's computer, dh said (jokingly I hope!) that he was going to put it onto mine so that he could see what I was doing while he was at work shock. It works 'invisibly', but if you looked carefully you would probably find the files on your computer somewhere - could be any one of dozens of similar type programs though so you'd have to know what all the program file names were about.

naomi83 Thu 11-Jun-09 12:54:15

my DH has a program called something like log me on, whuch allows him to work on the computer remotely, ie-not from the house. he needs permission to get in the first time though. could he have done that once through your computer? if so he could see eactly what you are doing, even move the mouse, open programs whilst you are working, and definately see what you are doing. Search your program files.

ilovetrees Thu 11-Jun-09 19:07:17

Naomi, do you know what program files I should be looking for? Haven't a clue about these things.

Foofi, thanks for that but still wouldn't know what files to look at.

I would have thought that there would be some kind of log which shows all log on activities but I can't find it.

ruksak Fri 12-Jun-09 18:33:00

ilovetrees
cybersentinel would have to be installed on your machine... you could check this by going into control panel, clicking on programs and looking down the list to see if it is there; if it is then uninstall it.

LauraN1 Sat 20-Jun-09 23:00:11

Have you tried posting this on the board "other stuff" > "geeky stuff".
He might not need a special program to log in, just log in remotely using a Virtual Private Network. But I'm not a proper geek. Best to shut the computer down.. and unplug modem cable to be super super sure :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now