Talk

Advanced search

Renault Scenic Drivers- Which group 1 car seat do you have?

(18 Posts)
peasadler Mon 08-Jun-09 22:34:28

We will soon need to buy the next size car seat for our little girl. It is a minefield as the Scenic has isofix, yet underfloor storage compartments (therefore the support leg on isofix babses is a no, no!)I'm also interested in getting a rear facing car seat if possible. It would be really helpful if other people with a Scenic could tell me which Group 1+ car seat they have, in order to help me with my decision. I can't understand how such a seemingly family friendly car can be so restrictive when it comes to car seats!

Thanks

pigglemama Mon 08-Jun-09 23:07:03

We have a kiddi infinity pro, which we've been using for the last few months, so far so good & top of the Which? report.

MrsBonJovi Mon 08-Jun-09 23:14:01

I have used my first class Si forward facing in my friends scenic and it fitted ok ...of course you should always get it done by a professional who will also be able to tell you if its ok rearward.

Its not isofix but still a really good car seat.

PerfectPrefect Mon 08-Jun-09 23:16:43

Isofix does not relate to the support leg. Some seats have them some don't. I am not sure if there are any stage 1+ seats which have a support leg - but I could be wrong. Stage 1+ seats don't have bases either. The isofix is attached to the back of the seat chassis.

Go and have a look in Mothercare/toys r us and get an idea of what you are looking at and take it from there.

Rear facing stage 1 seats are hard to find in the UK but I believe that there are one or two which are available (although you may have to order from abroad).

nicm Tue 09-Jun-09 08:53:36

hi there are some which we can use rf. i have the britax 2 way elite and love it as does ds. you can also get the britax multitech, the brio zento and possibly the besafe. i got mine from the in car safety centre who were really helpful. hth and anymore questions just ask. good luck and it is such a pain with the underfloor storage!

peasadler Tue 09-Jun-09 08:58:00

Thanks- I have written all suggestions down so far and now I have some research to do! Also, just wonering if people bought just one seat at Group 1 and moved it from their car to partner's car and back, or did you go for 2 seats?

peasadler Tue 09-Jun-09 08:58:58

Oh, and where is the In Car Safety Centre?

LIZS Tue 09-Jun-09 09:05:17

We used a Britax Freeway (which has been rebranded as a Fisher Price model) and an Evolva 123 Ultra. Most Britax seats fit Renaults well ime. Friends have used Maxi Cosi Prioris in theirs.

lollyheart Tue 09-Jun-09 09:16:13

I have a maxi cosi priori xp, i think it is fab it's not isofix but has a belt tighten thing, and is really easy to fit so only takes a few mins to transfer to another car.
I also have a britax eclipse si, i think it is also a great seat.

nicm Tue 09-Jun-09 09:20:16

i have just the one seat and move it between dps car, my mums, dads and sisters cars. so have a list of cars it fits in! the hardest part is fitting the tether straps but have got a set in dps car so you just have to clip them and tighten them. it's really easy to fit once you know how. i went to the in car safety centre in belfast but they have a branch in milton keynes and also do mail order. simon was really helpful. they haven't got the zento or besafe on their website yet but they are just waiting on them apparently. am off out for a while but will check back soon

nicm Wed 10-Jun-09 08:52:34

hi well have you decided which one to go for? it took me weeks top decide as i was so limited because of the support leg! wink

peasadler Wed 10-Jun-09 09:11:23

Thanks for all the advice! nicm, I think I am going to try to find out where is good for fitting in my area- I live in Cheshire. WHat are tether straps? Do they go into the boot or something? Also, with a rear facing seat, how do you find the leg room for your wee one? Several people who I've spoken to about rearfacing seats, look at me like I've gone mad or something and think I'm depriving my little one of being able to see out of the window or something!

nicm Wed 10-Jun-09 09:46:51

the tether straps go around the base of the seat in front and hold the seat tight iykwim. you could go on to the website www.rearfacing.co.uk and ask if someone on there was near you and would let you see theirs, or there's a list of stockists.

i am a childminder and have had a 3 and a 5 yo in the seat rf and they have enough leg room as the 2 way elite changes postion for older kids. the 3yo actually asks to go in ds's seat instead of her maxi cosi priori(had these before i knew about rf). they can see loads out of the back and side windows as it's as high up as a regular gp1 seat just facing the other way! i've got an easyview mirror too that allows me to see ds. people probably think i'm mad too but it's so much safer i don't care what they think!

nappyaddict Fri 12-Jun-09 15:54:40

Ideally children should stay rear facing until they are at least 2.6, but really the longer the better, so I would see if any of these will fit as they have been tested up to 25kg.

Brio Zento, Nordic Secura, Nordic Multitech, Britax 2 way Elite, Britax Hiway and
Maxi Cosi Mobi

There's a non-isofix one called the Be Safe Izi Kid X1 that goes up to 25kg aswell but I can only find the isofix version which seems to only go up to 18kg.

In the UK most 5 point harnesses only go up to 18kg and booster seats only go up to 36kg. In other countries 5 point harnesses go up to 36kg and booster seats go up to 45kg.

nappyaddict Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:47

There's also the Akta Graco Cosmic Comfort S but I heard this one is only up to 25kg if used in the passenger seat. If you use it on the back seats it is only up to 18kg. I don't know if that's true for definite though so would be worth checking out just incase.

Another one suitable for up to 25kg (approximately 6 years) is the Britax Nordic Freeway.

peasadler Fri 19-Jun-09 14:54:56

Hiya- thanks so much for the advice. I am working my way through looking at the seats. I really am convinced that I want a rear facing one now, but my choice is limited to non-isofix even though my car has it due to the stupid underfloor storage! I think it's the final nail in the coffin for my car which has been nothing but problematic since I got it! I think it has to go!

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 14:57:33

Britax 1st class here, as it's birth to 4 <<cheap>>

nicm Fri 19-Jun-09 22:18:36

oh peasadler mine too!! has had loads fixed, the turbo, the battery, the seat belts, the airbag, the turbo again and now the windows and think this turbo is going now too!! would not have another renault if they were paying me! angry but the two way elite is a really good seat. good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now