Talk

Advanced search

Most back friendly baby sling- recommendations please

(26 Posts)
HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 21:22:22

I have problems with lower back and pelvic pain during pregnancy and when carrying a baby in a sling.

I have used a Baby Bjorn front carrier and I couldn't use it beyond a couple of weeks.

Also, I'm wondering whether using a sling would be good for breastfeeding the new LO as I'll have a toddler to run around after too.

HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 21:35:01

bump

diedandgonetodevon Sun 07-Jun-09 21:43:01

I have back problems too and find the Babyhawk the best as far as being comfortable and not straining my back. Not sure about bf'ing in it though as I used a Babasling for that but it did pull on my back a bit.

CMOTdibbler Sun 07-Jun-09 21:48:36

A stretchy wrap sling like a Moby would be best for you - you can bf in them and they spread the load out very well.

Important things with slings for comfort and tight and high - you want the baby right up on your chest. I note that virtually everyone I see with a BB doesn't have their baby in the right place. This also means you miss out on vital head nuzzling opportunities

Tangle Sun 07-Jun-09 21:49:25

Most wraps, Mei Tais and Soft Structured Carriers will give you MUCH better back support than a Baby Bjorn, but which one will work best for YOU and your baby is a harder question to answer.

For a newborn my personal preference would be a stretchy wrap, and you should be able to BF with one as well. I had a Hug-a-Bub for DD, and found it really comfy (although I never mastered BF in it) - as a comparison, when DD was 3 months I managed 10 minutes with a BB, but would carry her for a couple of hours in the wrap with no problems.

Can you get to a slingmeet? That would give you a chance to try a variety of different slings with some experienced ladies to help show you the knack. If you don't mind buying 2nd hand, its worth keeping an eye on UKbabywearingSWAP and Natural Mamas - you can get some real bargains, and if it doesn't work out then you can sell it on.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your new LO

littlelamb Sun 07-Jun-09 21:50:59

Stretchy wrap, without a doubt. I used a Kari Me. Later, an Ergo is brilliant. I have been able to easily bf in both, and I can still bf ds, who is 1, in the Ergo

mollymawk Sun 07-Jun-09 22:12:11

I liked my Wilkinet - puts the weight on your hips. I could carry mine in it up to about 9 months. Can't BF with the baby in it though.

Loopymumsy Sun 07-Jun-09 22:45:23

Message withdrawn

Dalrymps Sun 07-Jun-09 22:58:14

Another vote for stretchy wrap one. I have a hugabub and it's great on my back, you can get cheaper versions which are the same..

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sun 07-Jun-09 23:09:45

Wilkinet all the way here...was still using it last October/November when Dd was almost 2yo(on my back). It keeps baby really close to your chest, so supports the weight properly. I had no back ache at all whilst carrying Dd in it. It's like it makes baby part of you instead of an add on iyswim.

omgidbi Mon 08-Jun-09 09:21:38

The Moby Wrap gets my vote. The fabric spreads really widely across your back so distributes the weight very evenly without causing any strain. My osteopath recommends it to all her postnatal clients after seeing mine. Honestly, you really won't regret buying a Moby, they are just fabulous.

HeinzSight Mon 08-Jun-09 21:04:16

Thank you all for your replies. Is the Moby quite easy to set up?

Also, DH has a paralysed arm and a very weak shoulder joint, it's got stronger but for a while it was subluxed (partially dislocated). Would this sling be good for him to use?

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 21:26:02

It does have a bit of a learning curve, but you can just tie it once in the morning, and then pop the baby in and out. Loads of vids on YouTube. Hopefully someone will come along and link to the hunk wrapping his adorable tiny baby soon grin

Theres very little strain on the shoulder joint with a wrap, but obv your DH would have to take it carefully.

A one shoulder sling like a ring sling might be more suitable for him, but it would impede his good arm a little

Where are you ? Getting along to a Slingmeet would give you and DH a chance to try the different types and get hands on help with how to tie them

HeinzSight Mon 08-Jun-09 21:29:47

......hunk ...hunk ....hunk ....hunk grin

I'm near Banbury. I'll def look into a Slingmeet smile

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 21:36:00

I think theres a very active group in Oxford here who have a sling library and would be able to help.

I'm not so very far away, but I carry my 3 yr old, so my newborn slings are long gone !

littlelamb Mon 08-Jun-09 21:37:23

you're welcome

HeinzSight Mon 08-Jun-09 21:44:15

O. M. G. that's probably one of THE cutest things I've ever seen! I thank you littlelamb!

Thanks also CMOTdibbler, where are you then? <nosey nosey>

littlelamb Mon 08-Jun-09 21:49:06

I watched it many times when I was learning to use my wrap wink. All for educaional purposes you understand. He does do it a little bit wrong, he should tuck the baby in the 'inside' bit of fabric first, but hell, he could have put her in upside down and I'm sure I would forgive him [drool emoticon]

HeinzSight Mon 08-Jun-09 21:51:07

I also will be 'studying' this video wink

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 21:58:54

I live near Worcester, but pass by Banbury a lot as my parents live S of Oxford and I have a big project in Oxford currently. Oh, and with the Cotswold line being closed this summer, we may have to get the train from Banbury..

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 08-Jun-09 22:05:43

Oooh! I watched that vid many times too! grin yummy! I wonder if he knows that women droooooool over him! hmm

CMOT, do you use the Moby with your 3yo? I would love to still sling Dd(2.5), and the last time I carried her was a bit before she was two. I used the Wilkinet which was a bit 'short' for her, but otherwise great and I made a non stretchy one myself too, but I think there was just too much width in it.

Tangle Mon 08-Jun-09 22:14:48

I found the hugabub started to struggle once DD got to about 18lbs. She's now just over 2yrs and 2st and I'll carry her in either a woven wrap (Didymos) or a MT (napsack is favourite at the moment).

Did you try folding your woven wrap in half length ways? That's what the Didy instructions tell you to do for a lot of carries.

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 22:19:31

No, I use either a Toddlerhawk, a toddler TaiTasi, or an extra wide SBP ring sling (my new thing for cuddly short carries)

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 08-Jun-09 22:54:44

Oooh, thank you! will have a look on you tube for those. Can I make any of those do you think? no money to purchase anything, so home made is the only way for me atm.

wheeler Tue 09-Jun-09 16:38:44

i also got sore after baby bjorn for a few weeks. had dreadful back thru pregnancy, saw a physio etc. on recommendation from a friend i got a 'kari-me' and i have loved it. never a moment's pain. used it til he was almost 18mths it was that good! good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now