Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Good blackout blinds or similar

(15 Posts)
usernametaken Sat 06-Jun-09 21:58:27

DD is waking earlier and earlier at the moment, mainly because the sunlight is coming into her room.

We need some very good blackout blinds or similar. In the past we've had blackout blinds but they never fitted overly well...chinks of light coming in at the side or top, not matter where we try to fit them.

Any suggestions please! Thank you.

PacificDogwood Sat 06-Jun-09 22:02:20

I have struggled with this (damn you, early Scottish summer mornings!).

In the end, the only solution was to double up: cheap black out blinds, I think ours came from B&Q, cut to size, and nice black out curtains.
This seems to have done the trick.

CarGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 22:04:36

we attached our blinds to the wall so they rolled down and minimised the chinks. Also painted the window wall a dark colour helped.

Phoenix Sat 06-Jun-09 22:04:47

We've got a travel black out blind on ds' window mainly because we couldn't find a normal blind to fit it. It fixes to the window with sucker pads. Baabaa blinds

usernametaken Sat 06-Jun-09 22:06:10

Yummmy, tasty looking link!

Doubling up...good idea! Thanks.

bodiddly Sat 06-Jun-09 22:06:39

You can get blackout blinds that run in channels so you don't get any light bleed at all - they are all made to measure so not all that cheap I am afraid! PacificDogwood's suggestion of doubling up is probably the less expensive option.

sazzerbear Sat 06-Jun-09 22:07:01

These are great, we have big odd shaped window so you cut these to fit and stick all around the window frame with velcro which you peel off in the day - definitely helped!
www.easyblindsonline.co.uk

PacificDogwood Sat 06-Jun-09 22:13:45

boddily, we looked at the tracked blinds, they look absolutely fab, but would only have been an option if those pesky Euromillions had come through wink!

usernametaken Sat 06-Jun-09 22:15:06

The BaabaaBlind looks excellent. Looks very portable...could use on holiday too, ooooo, we may get an extra 10minutes lie in on holiday!

Thank you!

libbypops Mon 15-Jun-09 10:16:25

hi i have just put blackout blinds in all my kids rooms as the early mornings and late evenings are just keeping them awake

I went to www.incrediblinds.co.uk and bought coloured blackout roller blinds from their carnival range

spicemonster Mon 15-Jun-09 10:19:15

I just have to rave big time about baabaa blinds. Not only are they brilliant to take when you go and stay with other people but they are much better than regular curtains/blinds because they stick to the window so they really do block out all night. My DS slept till 8.30am on Sunday morning which is a record!!

Now my only issue is what to do when we go camping. I'm wondering about constructing a black out tent over his readybed

JRocks Mon 15-Jun-09 10:20:41

We've always used the argos blackout blinds, but found that chinks of light still came through. Inadvertently I have discovered that Ikea do some curtains in a dark blue (and purple I think) that block out so much light DP and I are constantly oversleeping, thinking it's still night. smile I can't remember the name of them, but they are only about £22 ish. I think them and a basic balckout blind would put you in pitch black for sure! (Or buy blackout lining material for curtains)

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Jun-09 13:40:55

I've just bough the Gro Anywhere blind, which is the same as the Baa Baa blind, but it has been rebranded recently since Gro (as in Gro Bag) took them over.

It is fantastic.

nicky6 Wed 17-Jun-09 13:47:41

just bought the easy blinds and they can just be cut to fit around your window and velcro so no light gets in - hopefully this will turn daughter back into late sleeper rather than early riser. grin

rjc11 Wed 24-Jun-09 17:02:26

We went with an easyblind at home, which is proving its worth, but decided on both a 'baa baa gro blind, and a 'go anywhere blind, for trips away. We weren't sure which one to buy so thought we would hedge our bets by having one of each. We have only tried them at home so far, kind of a test run, the 'go anywhere' is eaier to use than the 'baabaa gro blind' and blocks out more light if you take time folding in the edges. Kept the room cooler as well, not sure about the baa baa black fabric. Niether of them worked as well as we had hoped for but we have now spent our money. In truth there doesn't seem to be any other productsout there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now