Talk

Advanced search

Portable highchairs

(18 Posts)
accessorizequeen Sat 06-Jun-09 21:39:21

As everyone has been so helpful with advice on buying baby pj's I thought I'd ask about opinions of portable highchairs as I need two for the dt's. Specifically so I can feed them when we're at music group etc, take them to dm's house and so we're not stuck if a restaurant doesn't have 2 highchairs, on holidays etc. They're 8 months and we're doing blw fwiw.
I had one of those fabric highchairs before & thought it was pretty pants tbh, faffy to put on, didn't support baby properly and didn't raise them up at all. I was thinking maybe inflatable-type seats or folding ones? Handysitt would be too bulky and expensive for 2 babies I think.

Any recommendations?

feedthegoat Sat 06-Jun-09 21:47:22

I had this. I quite liked it though it did take a couple of minutes to adjust straps each time to fit the chair. My friend had one of those fabric ones and this is definately better fot height and support but it is bulkier to carry about. It isn't huge though and fit under the buggy easily enough.

CarGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 21:58:57

Litaf do a plastic and aluminium version of the handysitt - much lighter thing it's the hang & sit or something

SweetApril Sat 06-Jun-09 22:25:01

We have same one as feedthegoat. It's great for us but just have the one DD and she's pretty good at sitting still at the table. Plus we didn't start using it till she was quite a bit older than 8 months (not a conscious decision just went abroad on hols to a place where highchairs very thin on the ground).

I've heard that they can seem a bit flimsy if LOs try to launch themselves sideways so if you have wriggly DTs might be a bit stressy if you've got them both in one!

In terms of blw I guess that depends on whether they're messy eaters as this highchair is a nightmare to clean - ridiculous "sponge clean" fabric! But all the blw children I know are incredible tidy eaters so maybe not a problem!

It is very lightweight, squishes down fairly small and easily fits under the buggy or over the buggy handle.

My verdict - I've found it really useful, it was brilliant on the holiday and I would buy one again without hesitation but have a scout around as I got mine much cheaper 2nd-hand.

Can you tell I'm having a dull Saturday night? grin

feedthegoat Sat 06-Jun-09 22:34:32

Second SweetApril regarding having a scout round for a deal. I got mine from TK Maxx for £12.99. I didn't use it till later either. It was one of those at that price I'll have one purchases!

PerfectPrefect Sat 06-Jun-09 22:45:38

Something I would recommend for the grandparents is the ikea Antillop (fits in teh boot of the car along with 2 suitcases, travel cot, pushchair and the kitchen sink!). It is fab for use at home too as it can go in the garen and be hosed down if necessary. No crooks and crevices to get food trapped. They cost less than £15 each so good on teh buget. I don't think they are what you are looking for for out and about round town though.

As for being out and about - I have DTDs and if a restaurant/cafe couldn't accomodate both of them then I would go somewhere else. Not sure that is the answer you are looking for either grin

CarGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 22:51:06

cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IN-BOX-LITAF-HANG-N-SEAT-FOLDING-BOOSTER-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ310114560181QQcmdZView ItemQQptZUK_Baby_Babay_Feeding_Highchairs_Boosters_LE?hash=item483444a8b5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkp arms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1121%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 this is the litaf version of the handsitt.

accessorizequeen Sun 07-Jun-09 19:44:48

Well, thanks all, excellent advice The one that feedthegoat etc have seems as though they couldn't use it now as it's 12 months+ and they're quite wriggly babies. I need them now tbh and perhaps hard to clean which I couldn't cope with. They are v.v.messy eaters, can't see how to avoid that with blw, but clearly my two don't know they ought to be tidy hmm. I'll speak to them about it just after I clean up all of the mess from dinner grin
The litaf one looks good, certainly more affordable than handysitt. I'd prob just take them in the car so doesn't matter if they're a bit bulky. Only one in a buggy if we happened to be going somewhere to eat.
PerfectPrefect, I take your point about going elsewhere but we have 2 other dc's and don't often have a choice about where we're going - we went to The Deep today (aquarium) and really struggled to get hold of 2 chairs.

accessorizequeen Mon 08-Jun-09 23:03:48

This one from Prince Lionheart looks just right, pity it's from 12 months!

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 12:52:16

I think the 12 months is more to do with where they are developmentally tbh ie covering their backs!

mamadiva Tue 09-Jun-09 13:00:41

We have this, it's fab good back support, 2 heights, 5 point harness, easy to clean and it folds quite small to the sides just fold into it so is just the back rest size really weighs next to nothing!

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 14:41:15

I hate the way all the food drops down the side on those style ones.

accessorizequeen Tue 09-Jun-09 19:51:22

thanks cargirl & mamadiva - I have one of those folding style ones at mums already for ds2 (he's 2.6), perhaps I should kick him out and get another!

TeaandCake Tue 09-Jun-09 20:03:40

Handysitts are v good and fairly small when folded.

My local TK Maxx have them right now for £40. Might be worth a look.

accessorizequeen Tue 09-Jun-09 20:11:26

Thanks, teaandcake, but don't see how I can stump up £80 for portable highchairs, yikes. TKMaxx is such a great source of bargains though, I got a car seat & booster seat there last year for half the rrp.

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 20:15:12

check ebay for ones ending near you, saves on postage fees at the very least!

ChocOrange05 Tue 09-Jun-09 20:41:14

I have this one and its perfect for DS to sit right up at the table and its really portable too.

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 20:43:01

I've had ones like those in the past ChocOrange and I liked them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now