Talk

Advanced search

Girls' first bike?

(9 Posts)
fifitot Sat 06-Jun-09 17:33:26

DD is 3 and ready for a bike, albeit with stabilisers. I want to try and avoid all the pink and glittery stuff but has anyone any suggestions for a bike with 12 inch wheels that is reasonable?

Thanks.

littlelamb Sat 06-Jun-09 17:35:17

the grandparents recently bought dd a new bike from Halfords. It had a third off and is really good. It's obviously a girls bike, but is blue rather than pink. Have you been told 12 inch is the right size? A 14 inch one might last a bit longer, depending on how big she is already?

fifitot Sat 06-Jun-09 17:46:34

Thanks. Just going on what I have read on internet. Might take her into bike shop to see. Thanks.

amidaiwish Sat 06-Jun-09 17:53:18

we got the raleigh molly ones for DD1 and DD2, blimming £89 each. rubbish.

curlygal Sat 06-Jun-09 18:22:52

what's rubbish about the raliegh ones?

(have just ordered DS one...)

amidaiwish Sat 06-Jun-09 18:23:50

well it just seems like the stabilisers are hard work, the front wheel is forever going flat and needing to be pumped up, brakes a bit sticky etc... and we certainly don't "overuse" it.

curlygal Sat 06-Jun-09 18:34:08

Hmmmmm oh dear.

He tried one in the shop and couldn;t really pedal so was just going to assemble it without the pedals as a balance bike rather than use the stabilisers.

Hope it is ok.

I was shocked at how expensive (and heavy) the children's bikes were. The raleigh one on the shop was on special offer at £95, I got him a v similar (actually I think nicer) one from amazon for £55 so is definitely worth shopiing around before you buy.

Halfords claimed to have 50% off but prices were actually more expensive than many other bike shops

amidaiwish Sat 06-Jun-09 19:58:07

well we just went into our local independent bike shop and bought them... blush mugs!

i know what you mean about the cost, i thought kids bikes were going to be about £35! obviously i had no idea.

fifitot Sat 06-Jun-09 21:04:43

I looked at the local shop as like to support local businesses. I say one for around £70, online could get it for £50!

However as DH says, at least the local bike shop will tune it up after 6 weeks and if there are probs we could go back with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now