Talk

Advanced search

Laptop is dying! Recommendations for a new one please?

(20 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Fri 05-Jun-09 22:17:39

Argh my laptop is dying! The bottom half of my screen isn't working and I doubt this can be fixed so I may need to get a new one. I currently have a Dell and it's 3 years old. I only really use it for the net and for uploading and storing photos. Can anyone recommend a cheap but half decent laptop? Thanks!

I am about to buy my DH a new laptop, having done some research I am going to get him a Samsung r510. As you are only going to use it for basic functions you can probably get away with the 2G RAM version. You can always add more (I think it has a spare slot but you might like to double check).

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 07:07:59

MacBook. Apple all the way.

WinkyWinkola Sat 06-Jun-09 07:12:39

Apple all the way here too. Not only is the MacBook a superb piece of kit, it's very beautiful.

They are also very expensive!

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 07:20:20

Libras - yes, it is, but its worth the investment. Fo example, no viruses, so no virus protection needed, or its built in (something like that!).

hmm personally I think Macs are a lifestyle choice thing and you either love them or hate them. You can get just as good specs cheaper. Also AVG provides a free virus scanner for windows and there are other security freebies as well which means no cost outlay for windows.

Apple recommends you use anti-virus tools.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 07:35:28

all laptops are a lifestyle choice hmm.

Well I think to buy a laptop for several hundred pounds more for the "look" of it rather than what it can do is more of a lifestyle choice
I like Macs but I find their cost prohibitive especially as the OP specified cheap!

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 06-Jun-09 20:18:27

Hi, thanks for the advice, I've only ever used a mac once years ago but I'm so used to PC's that I'll stick with that! Thinking of netbooks too, any difference between that and a laptop other than the size? Thanks libra I'll check out your recommendation

kif Sat 06-Jun-09 20:24:51

Macs are lousy. I'm using one now - but I'm back to PC when it finally dies.

I've had to have two new power cables (thankfully not the spontaneous combustion trouble that some people get shock ). The customer service was good - replaced once free in warranty and once (as a gesture of goodwill) free out of warranty - but still irritating. Battery completely dies after 14 months. I can only use it plugged in.

Incredibly irritating to swap docs with people using PCs. Word and Pages don't work together well.

A could of internet thingies that don't work on Mac (e.g. IKEA and MAgnet kitchen planner tools).

And it isn;t cheap!

My DH calls it a Fisher Price computer. That is, it's a console for people who are afraid of real computers.

I like Dell.

dietstartstomorrow Sat 06-Jun-09 20:28:12

I have a dell (inspiron 1525), I love it and it's pink smile

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 06-Jun-09 20:33:00

My current one is a Dell and I've just noticed that there are Dell netbooks in 6 different colours! I am such a girl

burningupinspeed Sat 06-Jun-09 20:34:07

But you wouldn't need to replace a Mac after 3 years so your investment would pay off wink

ilikeyoursleeves generally the spec will be less i.e. only 1G of RAM etc. Really if the laptop is for on the sofa in front of the telly than a laptop is the way forward. If you travel a lot and have to carry your own luggage then a netbook is useful.

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 07-Jun-09 21:18:13

I bought one! I spent AGES in the shop but eventually went for a basic laptop that will do all the things I want. It's got 250GB and 2MB hard drive, for £350 (Advent).

I so nearly bought a netbook as they looked so cute, but saw sense, phew!

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sun 07-Jun-09 21:20:42

I am thinking of a dell too as they come in pretty colours grin

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 07-Jun-09 21:22:19

I was going to buy one of those Dell ones to get it in a funky colours but they looked like they'd attract so many grubby fingerprints!

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sun 07-Jun-09 21:23:45

only looked at them online - called a notebook - are they small then so small screen?

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 07-Jun-09 21:46:56

If It's the Dell 1545 (I think?) then they are laptops (you can also get them in notebooks I think). I decided not to get a notebook cos there is no DVD drive and the spec is smaller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now