Talk

Advanced search

ok, if money were no object which all in one buggy would you buy and why?

(28 Posts)
eleanorsmum Fri 05-Jun-09 18:44:43

I may be able to buy what ever I want grin but had set my heart on a second hand chicco buggy carrycot and (new) carseat cos it's what i had last time and was fab! Not so keen on the newer design but am open to suggestions. I want a carrycot for the first 6 months or so, a car seat with autofix base which can go on chassis and a buggy bit for the later years. Small folding is not an issue, have really big car! but easy of use and adjustable handle height is essential! I'm 5'2" and DH is 6' +.

So can you help, links would be great!

NormaSknockers Sat 06-Jun-09 09:03:39

Quinny Buzz grin

The Dreami carrycot is just lovely & nice & high up. The Maxi Cosi can be popped onto the chassis & also has an easy fix base for the car. Seat unit is both rear & forward facing & nicely padded.

Adjustable handle, easy to use & manovre & looks funky.

Loved mine so much....so much so I've had 3 as always regretted selling it!

Quinny Buzz

Bugaboo cameleon without a doubt. I used to be one of those people who scoffed at yummies pushing them, all style and no substance! thought I. How wrong I was!!

It truly is the best 3 in 1 combo out there imo and esp with your huge height difference it'll work a dream for you.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 09:07:18

Bugaboo, the one with the carry cot. Can;t remember its name.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 09:07:45

Chameleon, thats the one.

i would have that. In red.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 09:07:59

No, probably in black actually.

weepootle Sat 06-Jun-09 09:12:56

I have a bugaboo cam too, I love it as the handle can go so low since I'm even shorter than you.

bump09 Sat 06-Jun-09 09:58:17

Message deleted

PerfectPrefect Sat 06-Jun-09 10:07:36

I wouldn't.

I would buy a Techno XT and a seperate carseat.

travel systems are potentially damaging (restricts breathing and in some infants - including my own - has been linked to reduced oxygen levels in blood) - so I wouldn't buy a travel system because it is a travel system. I would buy the pushchair I wanted and the carseat I wanted and if they didn't work together as a travel system so be it. I don't know what car seat I would buy as I don't know the current market, but it would probably be one of the ones that lays back the furthest without being a fully flat one.

claret1980 Sat 06-Jun-09 10:48:52

Bugaboo cam

Gentleness Sat 06-Jun-09 17:11:32

ok - I'm a newbie here so bear with me...

Tell me about this breathing restriction thing with travel systems. How does it happen and why?

slyandgobbo Sat 06-Jun-09 17:13:58

Bugaboo. There is a v good carseat you buy separately that works with it (not made by Bugaboo - I forget the brand)

bump09 Sat 06-Jun-09 17:29:43

Message deleted

PerfectPrefect Sat 06-Jun-09 17:33:05

here is a fairly basic summary of the breathing thing

All the links at the bottom are (I believe) all peer reviewed scientific and medical journals. There are also many which are not cited. Much research is based upon low birthweight and/or premature infants - but there is much more research coming out based on otherwise healthy normal birthweight infants. Off the top of my head I believe that in one study ALL infants tested suffered reduced oxygen levels after 20mins in a carseat. Approx 10-20% of those tested were at a level where it would be considered a medical problem.

Basically the main published reason is that their heads tend to fall forward which can constrict the windpipe. IMO the lungs are also scrunched up from the abdomen when in a sitting position.

A carseat is designed and intended as a safety device for use when travelling in a car. And it is absolutely vital that it is used when travelling in a car. However, IMHO a car seat should not be used where necessary. IMO examples of where it is not necessary include
1. Unnessarily long journies before 3m
2. Use as a travel system
3. Leaving baby in carseat because they are asleep when you get home.

As I say I feel passionately about this as my DD did go blue on a couple of occassions when sat in her carseat - so I have first hand experience. There are times - as descibed above when it is necessary to use a carseat. There are many many times where it is convenient but not necessary.

PerfectPrefect Sat 06-Jun-09 17:34:48

*should not be used where NOT necessary.

You also have to remember that in the comparatively enclosed environment of a carseat (especially if they have a coat on) there is also a risk of overheating.

lockets Sat 06-Jun-09 17:40:03

Message withdrawn

Gentleness Sat 06-Jun-09 18:31:11

Thanks Prefect - makes sense. I felt a bit suspicious in some shops when they tried to sell me the concept of using the carseat on the buggy when you were short of time - after telling me no longer than 2 hrs in a car seat! Maybe for a quick 15min supermarket dash tho...

Does worry me a bit about the carseat as my parents live 3-4hrs away!

Don't know if this is reasonable, but the carseat is the reason we decided against the M&P Switch as a system - just looked the wrong angle to me...

Lockets - I am confused about the bugaboo chameleon after the mothercare lady told me the seat converted into the carrycot. I thought they were separate units?

jeffers61 Sat 06-Jun-09 18:38:02

Icandy Apple - Have had it 3 years and upgraded to Pear for a double. Now use it again as a single. Being modular really easy to lift and fit in car. Great movement. Faces us. Looks as good as new and get stopped everywhere asking where we got such a beautiful system. British. Great service. If we needed another one now though might go for Icandy Peach which is being tested by a friend who just looooves it. Icandy is definitely the best

Gentleness Sat 06-Jun-09 18:48:29

(oh another question about a recommend on here)
The bugaboo bee - suitable for newborns or not? Which report says not..

lockets Sat 06-Jun-09 18:48:32

Message withdrawn

FruitynNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 18:49:44

Bugaboo Chameleon.
I love my old Frog but would love to update to a Chameleon smile.

FruitynNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 18:50:14

Bug Bee looks far too narrow

weepootle Sat 06-Jun-09 18:50:31

Gentleness, the seat and carrycot use the same frame- that's all.

The car seat which you can use with the Cam is the Maxi Cosi Cabrio.

weepootle Sat 06-Jun-09 18:51:11

oop, lockets got there first!

PerfectPrefect Sat 06-Jun-09 18:56:15

Gentelness.

All of our family live 1hr+ away.

The risks are greatest for first 3m. So basically we did not travel (with the exception of an emergency trip due to bereavement at 11wks) to relatives for first 3m. We let them come to us.

After that just make sure that you take regualr breaks where you get baby out of carseat and lay flat for a while.

The other thing to do is look for a carseat with a shallow angle. The Graco and M&P do (or at least did 3yrs ago when I was last in the market for a carseat) have a comparatively steep angle. The maxi-cosi had a mush more laid back position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now