Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth getting my 2 year old a training/balance bike?

(18 Posts)
messageinabottle Fri 05-Jun-09 15:30:19

or best to wait until he is 2.6 - 3 ?

DS' 2nd birthday tomorrow so no pressure!

He is obsessed with bikes and scooters; he has a trike (with parent handle) but I thought it might be an idea to get him a bike. Looking into it, trainer bikes make sense to me (as opposed to bike with stabilisers) and I was thinking of getting him the smallest (LR M is it?) size puky bike. Trouble is DP doesn't really understand trainer bikes and so doesn't see the point in getting him one but also thinks he is a bit young. He is average size. DS that is, not DP.

Anybody here given their DC a training bike so young and had success? Or are we better off waiting until he is 2.6 - 3, the age that a lot of the trainer bikes start from?

TIA

belgo Fri 05-Jun-09 15:33:25

I think they are better then bikes with stabilizers. I've heard lots of good things about them. You should get him one, it may be a few motnhs early, but not that early.

messageinabottle Fri 05-Jun-09 15:39:56

thanks Belgo

Yes that's what I'm thinking - it may be a leeetle early but at least DS may get some use out of it this summer and as I say he is obsessed with bikes so it would be nice for him to have his own.

sobanoodle Fri 05-Jun-09 16:29:32

One of the best things i bought for my kids was a likeabike. I think ds was 2.5 but no harm in getting a Puky now - it's an ideal sort of birthday pressie and no harm done if he's not quite ready.

Ds then moved on with total ease to a bike with pedals and no stabilisers at 4.4.

zanz1bar Fri 05-Jun-09 16:50:56

Puky bikes are fantastic.

Both my DC have them from 2 years, they can go every where, over any surface, esp good over rough grass.

We live along way from any pavement and next to a busy road, so needed something Dc could use on grassy footpaths, muddy lanes etc.

They transfered from puky to proper bikes in.....5 mins!
No stabalizers needed, balance perfect.

They still use the puky bikes at 5 years just for fun, call them scooters with seats.

belgo Fri 05-Jun-09 17:28:07

Right you've all convinced me - having spent the last three months trying to teach dd1 to cycle the conventional way (ie. tricycle, bike with stabilzers then bike without stabilizers)- she's aged five and can now finally cyclesmile I think I shall also buy a balance bike for dd2 and ds.

messageinabottle Fri 05-Jun-09 18:07:15

thanks all

Going to show this thread to DP when he gets in

I think he's sort of convinced but just doesn't quite understand - he keeps saying shall we just get DS a small bike with stabilisers and I'm trying to explain yes, we can but it's just not the same thing (i.e. it is basically the same as DS riding a trike, which DS already has)

No matter I have found a local bike shop that has the smallest puky in stock, so we can at least have a look tomorrow wink

lol at scooters with seats zanz1

fantastic idea aren't they, I can't wait til tomorrow!

Clary Sun 07-Jun-09 00:05:33

A pal of mine has one that all her DC have used.

None ever had stablisers on their pedal bikes and all rode them early.

Example: her DS3 is almost 4 and has been riding his regular pedal bike for, well almost a year I would say, ceratinyl at least 6 mo.

So I would say, yes, get a like a bike or whatever now. Stablisers are so bobbins.

So are those parent-handle trikes btw - for parent useage only IME)

UniS Sun 07-Jun-09 00:29:02

Balance bikes are fab. they fit in teh car VERY easily, you can take them on teh bus. Boy had his Isla bikes Rothan at 2, was riding it confidently and fast by 2.3, for transport ( 1.5 miles each way to toddlers) at 2.6, He's now 3.3 and can ride a bike with pedals when he trys his older friends one, no stabilisers.
We will be getting him a "proper" bike in teh next month. Havn't used the pushchair for months as we use his balance bike instead.

mamadiva Sun 07-Jun-09 00:34:42

Was thinking about one fo these for DS who will be 3 at the end of the month but DP says they won't be any use.

Do you think I've left it too late? He has a rike but can't seem to grasp the pedals and can scoot but very slowly hmm

UniS Sun 07-Jun-09 00:38:06

Still fine and usefull at 3 and 4 or even 5 for a child learning to ride. Just get one that fits, not a tiny one for a great tall child.
all the stuff about easy to transport is still relevant at any age. You can;t just hop on a bus with a bike with pedals, chain and stabilizers like you can with a balance bike when they run out of energy half way home.

SuperBunny Sun 07-Jun-09 00:38:27

mamadiva, it is totally worth it.

DS got a Puky balance bike when he was 2.5 and was fab. He rode a proper bike with pedals and no stabilisers by 3.5.

Definitely get a balance bike (and Puky are really good).

mamadiva Sun 07-Jun-09 00:40:41

Just the money that puts me off there are no stockists so would have to order online and not sure about sizes which is a pain!

SuperBunny Sun 07-Jun-09 00:47:24

Hmm, not sure what to suggest. I'm selling mine but since I'm in the US, that won't help you.

FWIW, it;s this one: www.puky.net/homepage/produkte/laufraeder/4056.htm It was perfect for DS from 2.5 - 2.5. He's on the small side though.

UniS Sun 07-Jun-09 00:54:43

Islabikes.co.uk have good sizing info on their site. For bike saddle heights (inseam) measure floor to crotch with child wearing shoes.
http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/kidstuff/puky/learner-bikes.htm have puky sizes with minimum saddle height, no mention of max.

mamadiva Sun 07-Jun-09 00:56:28

Have bid on this one I really don't know where else I could find one but good feedback and the size does'nt matter too much I guess because he will probably be draggin along most of the time anyway

UniS Sun 07-Jun-09 19:34:03

looks like a large (or at least medium) as teh small doesn't have kick stand and has differnt looking wheels AFAIK. Should fit an average sized 3 yr old no problem.

NeedaNewName Sun 07-Jun-09 19:51:05

Yes yes yes yes yes!

We bought a Rothan trainer bike from Islabikes (cheaper than likeabike) and DD1 loved it and easily changed to normal bike without stabilisers.

Need to get it out again now for DD2 2.5 - left it a bit late but she adores her scooter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now