Talk

Advanced search

Skip Hop Saddle Bags - are they any good and will they work on the P&T Vibe, Bugaboo Chameleon ^and^ Maclaren Quest?

(24 Posts)
norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 16:19:51

An 18 month age gap has meant I've ended up with an embarrassing collection of pushchairs blush DC2 will be here any day now and I still haven't found a changing bag that's going to be roomy enough for two in cloth and not knock the underneath child on the head when I'm using the P&T.

I'm keen to avoid using a rucksack if I can. I've got a clip-on-the-handle bag that I used for DD, it's always been a real PITA so I don't really want another of that sort either...

What are peoples opinions on these saddle bags? Are they likely to be work on all the pushchairs?

tinseltot Thu 04-Jun-09 17:45:25

Try a skip hop duo bag, it is big enough for 2 in nappies, comes in lots of colours and has tonnes of pockets for cans of diet coke and dairy milk bars child related equipment. These have one main long shoulder strap and also 2 short clip straps so you can hang bag from buggys. You can use the 2 short straps to clip it on the side of the p&t frame (sort of off the side of the handle and then the other side clips lower down onto the main frame). the bag is then attached to the side of your buggy. Works fine like this with newborn underneath as not in way of baby at all.

Then when baby goes into second seat the bag either clips and hangs off back of second seat or you extend the main stap on bag to longest setting and hang it off handle so it clears and hangs behind second seat. Round here every second mother has a p&t and they all have skip hop duos used in different configurations on them. Hope this helps!

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 18:36:19

That's interesting tinseltot. Are they big enough for 2 in cloth (about twice as much space needed as for disposables)? They don't look very big in the photos... 'tis hard to tell.

I've never actually seen a P&T in use - I'm in the Netherlands and they don't seem to be at all popular here.

Fayrazzled Thu 04-Jun-09 18:44:01

The Skip Hop saddle bags will be way too small for what you want to carry around with two in cloth nappies. They're really very small.

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 18:45:44

Bugger. Any tips for what might work?

mogs0 Thu 04-Jun-09 18:53:52

Could you get the p&t pannier bags? With one each side of the buggy there'd be plenty of space for everything you need.

littlelamb Thu 04-Jun-09 18:56:14

I love my Skip Hop Duo. I got mine in TK Maxx so worth a look. Ds is in cloth, and dd likes to cart lots of crap stuff around too and it is plenty big enough for it all. It is deceptively small looking but it is pretty big inside

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 19:13:05

Thanks for the help smile

I'm not too keen on the P&T panniers and, more importantly, I want something I can use with the whole pushchair park. TBH I'm hoping to be able to use the Bugaboo (with a buggy board) again in the not too distant future. I much prefer a RF pushchair...

Anyway, as far as the Skip-Hop Duo goes - it's sounding good but I'd have to order online (without seeing one in RL). Is it definitely big enough for two in cloth?

mogs0 Thu 04-Jun-09 19:32:40

I struggle to fit enough things in my skip-hop when I'm just taking one child out (who wears disposables).

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 19:34:25

Which one do you have mogs? The Duo?

TabithaTwitchet Thu 04-Jun-09 19:34:27

I was considering getting one, then didn't in the end as I didn't think it was really big enough for one in cloth.
Although I do tend to carry rather lots of worst case scenario, just in case nappies around with me that never get used, so maybe I need more space than other people.

littlelamb Thu 04-Jun-09 19:34:39

I guess it might make a difference if you bf? I always have stacks of room, I guess because I don't have to cart any milk around

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 19:39:33

Good point littlelamb, I hadn't thought of that! I BF DD so I'm assuming it'll go fine with DC2 too...

larsazlol Thu 04-Jun-09 19:42:18

I am going to go against the flow here but I have used a skip hop saddlebag as my main changing bag for two in cloth. It comfortably holds two motherease one size, a spare wrap and a bumgenius pocket nappy, packet of wipes, muslin cloth and wetbag.
With this combination I can handle most things for a morning or afternoon out.
I also have a larger changing bag that I leave in the car with more spare nappies and change of clothes in it. I add extra from this if out for longer.

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 19:45:06

Ah, really? That sounds encouraging - I was thinking of getting two (forgot to say so in the OP) so it might work after all. Mmmmmmmm.

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 19:46:42

Ooops - forgot to ask, do you think they would work on all three pushchairs?

littlelamb Thu 04-Jun-09 19:47:09

ninja, they really are great bags. And not too girly, they look just like my regular Easkpak bag really, so noone feels silly if they have to carry it for me. It's such a good feature to be able to clip it over the handles too. Ds is in tots bots with a motherease wrap, so not a small nappy, I just bundle them together in a nappy bag, tie it up and swap the clean one for a dirty when it needs changing. Also good to not carry a massive pack of wipes either- I wait til we have a packet that's about a third full and use that as the changing bag pack instead. I have been carrying a water bottle each for the dc and suncream in the last couple of days, as well as a couple of muslins and there's bags of room

mogs0 Thu 04-Jun-09 19:49:18

I'm not sure which mine is! blush

I usually have a toddler or 2 (am a cm) and take drinks, snacks, a change of clothes and 2 nappies each. Plus, I try to squeeze in my purse, phone, keys etc. Everything is usually spilling out of the top.

Today, I just had one toddler and it was still over-flowing! Despite this, I do like the bag because of the way it attaches to the buggy, I just need to be more minimalist with the things I try to pack in it!!

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 20:17:57

Oh blimey I'm getting dizzy - I'm waaaaay to pregnant to make decisions hmm

I use tots and ME wraps too littlelamb, definitely not the smallest option, but squashable, as you say! The washable wipes are a bit difficult to estimate though - depending on how long we're going to be out that's either a major space saver or a massive bulk...

<takes a deep breath>

I think I like the idea of two saddle bags - one for each DC. Mind you, that might only be handy while they are in different sized nappies and DC2 hasn't started weaning. Any opinions?

I much prefer the look of the Duo blush and I suppose it'd be much easier to carry than two separate bags. But, is it really going to work with the P&T? How about with the Bugaboo and buggy board? DDs changing bag clipped onto the handle too and I found it a real PITA once she was in the seat rather than the pram.

Oh, and I'm really not fixed on getting a Skip-Hop one. Anything that's good enough is good enough IYSWIM.

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 20:54:16

Hmm, I'm now finding two different bags listed as Skip-Hop Duo. Were we talking about the tall one or the wide one?

mogs0 Thu 04-Jun-09 21:02:23

The tall one is for a single the wide one is for a double buggy. I have the tall one. There is another one again but will have to go and look for it's name!!

mogs0 Thu 04-Jun-09 21:07:08

The other one is called dash and I've just seen the saddle bag is different again!!

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 21:11:27

Yeah, they seem to make quite a few. I now realise why I 'forgot' to get a changing bag, I'll have to get it sorted though DC2's due on Tuesday.

tinseltot Fri 05-Jun-09 14:28:50

I find the skip hop duo really good. I decided against the p&t panniers cos when they are full the buggy is twice the width (therefore defeating advantage of it being an inline buggy!). Also the view for a toddler in the second seat is spoiled by the bags on the side blocking some of the view.

Even if you could not quite fit all the cloth nappy stuff you need in the skip hop you could always shove a few bits in the basket of the p&t, it is a decent size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now