Talk

Advanced search

First Bike for a soon to be four year old

(10 Posts)
curlygal Tue 02-Jun-09 20:37:29

I've just had an exhausting and confusing day trying to purchase a bike for DS who will be four soon.

I think I have established that he needs a 14" frame,

We were in halfords and the only bike they had was allegedly "half price"........... It was £95!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a bit shock as was expecting a bike to be c£100 therefore had gone in to the shop expecting to pay c£60 or so due to all the promotions.

After an extensive websearch I have found what I think is a very similar bike for about half the price.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the differences are btween this raleigh bike costing £54.99

www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-Planet-Play-Boys-Bike/dp/B0026RI7QY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1243970 248&sr=8-2

and this one that I was clearly told in store was half price at £94 but appears to actually cost £114 which is not as bad....

www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_236251_la ngId_-1_categoryId_165602#dtab

Maybe the "50% off thing is a total scam then hmm

Any other suggestions would be very welcome smile

shhhh Tue 02-Jun-09 22:04:28

ADVICE TO ANYONE READING THIS THREAD..........

Don't click on the links....Its just taken me 10 mins to stop the flash up of links..hmm. Not sure if you are aware of the problem CG..Maybe why no replies.!

To answer your question...not to sure what your question is...I wouldn't say its a scam on price, different places charge RRP, Below RRP and over RRP. The bikes are different bikes and tbh personal taste.

Like anything, you can buy a 3 wheeler car or a top of the range merc.

I would get whatever is within your price range and that your ds likes.

DD was 4 last month and we got her a bike, from toys r us and was disney princes. She loves it.

Not sure where it is in the range but know its the height we wanted and was what dd wanted.

Remember arms/knee pads and helmet.

sazm Tue 02-Jun-09 23:43:32

nothing popped up when i clicked the links?

yep personal taste, i would buy the dearer one because its cool lol

argos do a good set with a helmat and knee pads too, it's only about £55

MollieO Wed 03-Jun-09 00:09:01

I got ds this one. Very well made and light frame. The shop I bought it from (not this link) said they would do a part ex for ds's next bike too.

Clary Wed 03-Jun-09 00:12:01

I would buy the cheaper one cause I'm a cheapskate.

Better yet get a 2nd hand one. Chances are he'll only use it for a year or so, and unless your life/street/driveway is different from mine, it won't be every day.

We used to have to drive to the park with bike in the boot to get a decent safe flat space to ride hmm

It's better now that they can go a resonable way on them (youngest child now 6)

Flutterbye Wed 03-Jun-09 09:09:11

I got ours second hand from a bike shop, should be £110, we got it for £30, it's a 16 inch one, each 16 inch one is diff, need to try the kid on the bike.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 09:28:46

this is the one ds has

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 09:30:24

very similar to the second link you posted
ds loves it he has just turned 4 and is perfect

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 09:33:55

try here

curlygal Wed 03-Jun-09 17:21:55

Thanks everyone, sorry sshhhh don;t know what happened with the links. blush

I just clicked on them both and they were fine so not sure what I did.

Called Halfords and apparently the guy I spoke to was wrong - it is *up to 50% off bikes so the one that I was looking at had £20 off and was infact only £115 not almost £200 which makes more sense

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now