Talk

Advanced search

Chiminea - are they all the same? Or what should we look for?

(6 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Jun-09 23:19:44

Want to buy a chiminea. Have seen a very good value black cast iron version and was all set to buy when DH suggested we check out +ves & -ves of different types. I know, it's only a chiminea, but hey, let's keep him happy.....
So, if you have a chiminea, do you have any recommendations? Things to look out for/avoid? So I can tell him this has been fully researched! Thanks

higgle Mon 01-Jun-09 23:40:29

We have a black cast iron one, and it has a griddle thing you can barbecue on. It looks nice in the garden, cooks well and is lovely to sit around when it gets colder. Much better than the pottery type one we had before. You can make it look good agin each year by polishing outside with the stuff that used to be called Zebrite that you do black leaded grates with.

sweetheart Tue 02-Jun-09 16:11:11

There are 2 main times really:-

metal or clay.

We have a clay one which we have had for about 5 years and it has been cracking for a while but is still useable. We brought it damanged for about £70 so I think we have had more than our monies worth. We only ever treated it once when we first brought it and perhaps if we had treated it every year it wouldn't be cracking now.

My mum and dad have just brought a cast iron one and are pleased with it. It has a little grill on it which is ideal for the two of them to grill meat in the summer. I have heard that they are VERY prone to rusting though so if you went with a metal one you would proabably need a cover too.

lilolilmanchester Tue 02-Jun-09 18:21:11

very useful feedback, hadn't thought about the grill - will look out for that. Many thanks both of you

Northernlurker Tue 02-Jun-09 18:22:52

I quite fancy one of these but dh keeps bleating 'but what is it for' - so apart from looking nice what is the purpose? Can you cook much on it?

sweetheart Wed 03-Jun-09 09:55:59

Our's doesn't have a grill as it's clay but we have had so much use from it. It's been a great hit with our friends too - the men ALWAYS gather round it to poke the fire! Something primitave within them I guess.

I think my mum and dad have used their grill this to cook a couple of steaks in the summer to have with salad or chips but other than that there's not much room for cooking.

Ours has enabled us to sit in the garden for much longer on many spring and summer evenings. We have also used it in winter for things like haloween and bonfire night to warm people up whilst watching fireworks or having sparklers etc.

Once ours finally gives up and cracks completly dh and I will be straight to the shop to buy another one.
I guess it really depends on how much you use your garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now