Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations on how to Cool baby's nursery????

(16 Posts)
rrrayray Mon 01-Jun-09 09:16:44

Hi all...

Need some recommendations...

My 4 month old Daughter's nursery get sunshine ALL afternoon. The past few day even with the window open ALL afternoon AND the blind down to minimise sun coming in, at Bed time its 24-25c Which of course is TOO warm!

Just looked on Argos (nearest store- first port of call) for an A/C Unit - was surprised to find all the reviews of the products saying they needed ventilation out a window. Surely with A/c The whole point (based on my car) is it only works with the window closed?

Anyone have any recommendations what they have done to cool their Babies' nurseries?!

Any help would be V. appreciated!

xxx

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 01-Jun-09 09:38:02

We used to keep the blackout blind closed all day and bought a good fan that we put on before putting DS going to bed. Used to switch it on in the night if still too hot ensuring it was in the far corner so not blowing directly onto DS.

juleswastink Mon 01-Jun-09 10:13:07

brackens room gets to 27 degrees we leave her window open till after her 10pm feed leave vent iopen on window all the time they are velux ones.
she only sleeps in short sleeved bodysuit and lightweight sleeping bag

norktasticninja Mon 01-Jun-09 10:22:40

I'd probably actually stay cooler if you kept the window closed in the day time (with the blind down and curtains drawn) and only opened it when the temperature drops in the evening..

Sun awnings are really effective, but I don't know how available/expensive they are in the UK.

A lot of babies react badly to A/C so I'd try all other options first if I were you.

fairimum Mon 01-Jun-09 10:27:33

my DDs room is always warm and about 26 degrees at the moment, just putting her to bed/nap in just a vest and 0.5 tog grobag, she is fine, but if was warm would just have her in her nappy and grobag!

My friend live in New York with now air con in their house and it is often nearing 30 degrees, their son just sleeps in a nappy and has always been fine!

Flower3545 Mon 01-Jun-09 10:31:34

We use an oscillating fan in our nursery. They are not too expensive and because they move back and forward they don't chill lo's.

KingRolo Mon 01-Jun-09 10:35:16

The noise from a fan aids peaceful sleep too I find. smile

Rosie29 Mon 01-Jun-09 10:51:54

It's around 30 degrees in my ds's room, usually have fan on in the room at night, he sleeps in a thin sleeveless bodysuit which I find better than being naked as he doesn't get as 'sticky'! We have awnings which really help. keep blinds closed and open window at night. We live abroad, so am not sure about the cost of awnings in the UK. Get a fan and have it on in the room, as other poster said, away from you dc.

castlesintheair Mon 01-Jun-09 10:54:53

Get a fan. Loads in Homebase.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 01-Jun-09 10:56:59

I've been putting the kids to bed later, or as DD says, Spanish time! She means having a nap in the afternoon, and going to bed later which she associates with going to Spain.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 01-Jun-09 10:57:34

Last night DS went to sleep in just his nappy and a vest. When we went to bed I covered him with a cellular blanket just up to his waist so that his legs wouldn't get chilly.

We have the same problem, DS's room and ours are on the side of the house that gets the sun in the afternoon/evening, it's a PITA.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 01-Jun-09 10:58:48

we open all upstairs windows before bed to cause a through wind - we dont live anywhere hot and exotic though!

sammysamsam Mon 01-Jun-09 13:29:38

just a thought with the fans- if you place it strategically (sp?!) on the window ledge-in front of the open window, it'll help by chucking in the cool air from outside, thus making hot nursery cooler..or place the fan the otherway (facing out) and it'll take the warm air out- better circulation..hth

EachPeachPearMum Mon 01-Jun-09 19:34:53

I have heard that you should soak a towel in cold water and place it on an airer in front of the fan to cool the air. I find fans just blow around the hot air otherwise.
I don't open the window or blackout blind during the day. Then open the window between 2am and 6, when it's properly cooler.

meep Mon 01-Jun-09 19:43:11

someone here suggested putting a bottle of frozen water in front of a fan. Tried that tonight - still 28 in my dd1's room.

Our bedrooms are in the converted roof space so with all windows open and curtains drawn all day it is so so hot up there and doesn't cool down until after midnight. And there is no wind tonight so no draft to flow through.

Both dd's will be asleep in just a short sleeved vest - dd1 has a cellular blanket which I will put over her when I get up to feed dd2.

Dd2 is asleep downstairs and i will take her up when I go to bed when it will hopefully be a bit cooler.

i worry about it constantly, but there's not much we can do!

jelliebelly Mon 01-Jun-09 19:57:03

When it is hot and sun is directly on the room, opening the windows actually lets the heat in. We keep window in ds room closed with blackout blind/curtains closed all day which keeps the worst of the heat out.Our two don't see to be bothered by the heat like we are at bedtime - ds sleeps right under the duvet whatever temp his room is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now