Talk

Advanced search

How long should toddler shoes last do you think?

(14 Posts)
maxybrown Sat 30-May-09 10:31:33

I know as they get older it's not as long but my brain is all fuzzy and I cannot remember! I know when he had his pair before (froma fantastic shop) they said at least 12 weeks at this age (18 months ish.) I HATE having his feet measured, they always get it wrong, drives me nuts.

Any advice please!

monkeybumsmum Sat 30-May-09 13:17:42

Hi maxybrown smile

I think it should be around 2/3 months, but you can test the shoes yourself to see if there's still enough room in them. Make sure they're undone, and that your ds has his toes at the front of the shoe. You should be able to comfortably fit your index finger in behind his heel. If not then you might need to go for some new ones!

I get fed up shopping for new shoes for my ds as there always seems to be a massive queue. Take ages! Last time I bought the next size up too, so that should save us a trip smile

Good luck!

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 13:20:58

My toddlers have lasted 6 months each time so far, but then my Ds used to wear his shoes for 6 months too before needing the next size...Slow growing feet perhaps? but the shops do usually say 3 months.

Overmydeadbody Sat 30-May-09 13:21:59

Until they grow out of the shoes?

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 13:27:49

dds last pair laster her 3 months but the pair before lasted 6 weeks, they always tell you to go back in 6 weeks here.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 13:31:07

How on earth can anyone pay out £30 a time at 6 week intervals?

crokky Sat 30-May-09 13:35:31

It really varies. My DS went up half a size sometimes as quickly as 4-6 weeks, sometimes it took 2-3 months. My DD has had her shoes for ages though (she is younger) so I think it depends on the child. She's had these current ones for at least 3 months and they still fit her. Unfortunately they are pink, but that's a whole other issue...

Anyway what I do for the fit (because they are always telling you different stuff) is initally to go to 3 different shops on the same day and get measured (this is easy for me as my nearest shopping centre has them really close to eachother). From this, you can hopefully determine the width fitting that your child is. If they are measured 2-3 months later, you expect the width to be the same but perhaps the length to have increased half a size. If the width is different or the length has increased more than half a size (or decreased!) then I ask for a remeasure by the manager or whatever. Both my DCs have E fitting widths so shoes are a pita for us to get - an assistant once tried to tell me my DS was a G fitting!! So I just said politely, how strange, he's always been an E fitting could you get one of your colleages to have a measure as well so we can just check it's right. Of course it wasn't right!!

If your child is a quite ordinary width, you can get shoes anywhere you like I think. I can't because my kids are both only just an E, bordering on a D.

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 13:35:43

ive bought her doodles this time, £15 grin dd is nearly 2 and has had 4 pairs of shoes, it does add up and ive only got 1 dc.

crokky Sat 30-May-09 13:40:14

SOLOisMeredithGrey - the couple of pairs my DS outgrew in 6 weeks were still in really good condition. I paid £28 for them and got £10 for them on eBay (put them on immediately as he grew out of them, they are still current stock etc and have hardly been worn). Or you can get measured in the shop, pick the pair of shoes you like and then go and buy that exact shoe in the size you got fitted off eBay knowing it will fit etc. I have had to let some of my DS's go for 99p on eBay - buyers were pleased with that!

You can often find good shoes on eBay because some people have more than one pair of shoes at a time for their toddlers - I have seen people selling toddler shoes "worn twice" etc. Personally I only ever got one pair in their current size!

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 13:41:51

if you have brantano shops nearby they sell older style clarks for £15 by us.

maxybrown Sat 30-May-09 14:09:01

thanks everyone. He's had them 6 weeks, but the thing is, the little shop where I TRY and go if I can is brill. They refuse to sell me shoes if they think he'll be out of them soon and to wait for next size. I'm a bit peed off at 6 weeks to be honest.

In the shop they kept going on about how they looked big on him too, I said I don't think so, he has this size already! They said oh these will last him all summer though. Mind readers too......sheesh. They aren't too small, but def not long left that's for sure.

Brantano eh? hmm.....don't know where there is one I''ll look, just not keen on clarks TBH.

DS is a H sometimes G fit so have same problem with getting shoes as narrow fit.

Everytime they have measured him (and in different shops, apart from the little shop I mentioned) they always measure him with his feet scrunched up and I have to say to them about it - EVERY time! Grrr. I appreciate toddlers are a PITA to measure but even so.....

maxybrown Sat 30-May-09 14:10:01

I meant as people with narrrow feet not that a g/h is a narrow fit??!!!

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 14:13:28

I gave away Dd's Pepino sandals from last year in really great condition and wish I'd sold them on e bay instead as I can't afford to buy her any for this Summer. I don't like the Doodles sandals, I can't see any support in them at all...

I'd happily buy some from e bay, but they are either not what I'm looking for or the bidding goes way beyond my means.

spiderlight Sun 31-May-09 16:34:30

My son's feet seem to grow in fits and starts, so it really varies. He had a couple of pairs that only lasted about nine weeks, but he's been in his current shoes since November and we've just had them checked in Clarks and been told they're fine for another six weeks! I should probably be pleased, but I'm really fed up of them and want different ones now! Got him some doodles baseball boots with diggers on, but he prefers his boring old ones hmm

Didn't know about Brantano selling old Clarks shoes - that's well worth knowing about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now