Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know where I can get a silent closing stair gate?

(15 Posts)
BettySwollux Fri 29-May-09 22:59:06

Have took side off DS2 cot last night, as he jumps in it, resulting in banging so loud, you can hear it outside at the front of the house (his bedroom is at the back).
Anyway, neighbours had a polite word yesterday, so we have put gate at his door to stop him doing his houdini act. Problem is, I just get him settled, come out and the gate closes with an almighty CLICK! and wakes him up again.
I darent leave it open.
It's hard enough getting him used to staying in bed without the extra distraction.
The gate I have is a Lindam, please does anyone know where I can find a silent closing one (not the fixed non-open soft gate, as I still have probs from SPD and cant climb over)
Thanks x

Yurtgirl Fri 29-May-09 23:05:42

I am a little hmm

Your neighours complained because your ds jumps up and down on his bed

Its a good job they dont live next door to me shock

How old is ds?

BettySwollux Fri 29-May-09 23:20:11

He is almost 21 mo. To be fair, the banging was massively loud and he's been doing it for a couple of months now. Jumping quite high while holding the side rail, which made the cot tip and bang on the floor blush.
Neighbour is elderly, in room adjoining DS, lost his wife last month, so I dont blame them for saying something, and they were very polite.

Yurtgirl Fri 29-May-09 23:23:47

Weeeell given that he is 21 months I would want him to be going to bed on his own tbh

He ought to be able to cope with a few noises, safety gates shutting etc

Thats just me you understand!

Sorry I cant answer the gate question though

BettySwollux Fri 29-May-09 23:33:11

He has never been a good sleeper, havent had an unbroken night yet.
The slightest noise and he would be up shouting and banging. It's not like I tried to be super quiet while he slept, carried on with usual stuff, I suppose he's just a light sleeper.
I was going to wait another couple of months before putting him in a bed, but never mind, it's done now.

Biglips Fri 29-May-09 23:39:11

pmsl about your neighbours...tell them to get a grip!!!! hmm

what about a travel stairgate? as they dont have a click on them at all

thepuddingchef Fri 29-May-09 23:41:47

I have one of those wooden ones which fix by screws onto the door frame, not sure if this is suitable for you, but if your careful you can shut it without any click.

BettySwollux Sat 30-May-09 10:44:50

biglips, I cant climb over the travel stairgate, as I still have pain from SPD, but thanks for the recommendation.

thepuddingchef, I have worked out that if you squeeze the bits you need to open it as I close it, they dont spring out and click so loudly.

I think it's just new for him, so he likes me to stay til he's settled a bit, and the loud click sort of tells him I'm leaving the room.

spicemonster Sat 30-May-09 11:15:35

I have a fairly elderly metal one which has those expanding screw out bits at either end so it can fit different door widths. You can lift up the gate as you close it and it's absolutely silent

Yurtgirl Sat 30-May-09 16:11:50

Sorry betty I didnt mean to make you feel like I was having a go!

What I meant was if you could try to persaude him to go to sleep (or at least be a bit awake) before you leave the room - he wont be bothered about the gate closing, or other noises

Also far less likely to wake up at night if he goes to sleep on his own cos then he will know how to resettle himself

HTH

BettySwollux Sat 30-May-09 20:54:52

S'ok Yurtgirl, I didnt think you were having a go smile.
I've been trying to get him to settle himself, but it doesnt seen to be happening atm. He was ok going to sleep on his own when cot had sides on (have always put dc to bed awake) but now he can get up, he seems to want me there.
Tonight was a bit better as I just stood in the doorway and edged out, but he was knackered, been out all day and only had 20 mins nap.

ohdearwhatamess Sun 31-May-09 13:58:13

I've got Baby Dan pressure fit ones. They don't make much noise at all.

oojimmyflip Sat 21-Nov-15 11:02:59

The people that say the neighbours should get a grip here, really should come and visit my house when my neighbour slams their pressure fit stair gates the booming sound travels right through my walls and ceilings its almost like they are firing a small cannon in their house, it is close to torture at night when your trying to get some sleep.

Artistic Sat 21-Nov-15 11:16:07

We have this. Can be closed delicately to make almost no noise. If any, there is just a soft 'bump' one might hear...

BabyDan No Trip Screw Mounted Gate White ink{https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XTDHW4/ref=cm\www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XTDHW4/ref=c]]m}sww_rsmss_awd_MifuwbRNCB5G2

Artistic Sat 21-Nov-15 11:22:04

I must add that these are non pressure so they have to be lifted a tiny bit & slotted in place to lock. Can be done very gently. We have them at 2 places outside baby's room & she never wakes. She is a light sleeper too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now