Talk

Advanced search

Birkenstocks.- trendy or square?

(56 Posts)
massivepants Wed 27-May-09 22:52:04

They remind me of some Scholl sandals my Mum had in the 70's but everyone seems to have some. Any wearers out there??

thisisyesterday Wed 27-May-09 22:54:21

yes, i have some cos they're super comfy and lovely.
but I am totally uncaring about all things of style and just wear what I like. so i have no idea if they're trendy.

ds1 has some too, and they're very fab

massivepants Wed 27-May-09 22:57:16

They just remind me of funny toe nails, it's probably just a childhood memory!
I nearly bought some last summer but chickened out, and bought wedges instead.

horsemadgal Wed 27-May-09 23:00:09

I can't wear them, they kill my feet. (Think I have flat feet!!)

daisy99divine Wed 27-May-09 23:01:16

they are wonderful and there are many many different styles. Try. You will be converted and there are a pair out there with your name on grin

CarGirl Wed 27-May-09 23:01:23

I have flat feet and they give my arches and knees the support they need! I usually have to wear orthotic soles in shoes/boots.

muffle Wed 27-May-09 23:06:01

Yes I love them. they are big enough and wide enough for my hobbit feet and I like how they look. And you can get loads of funky colours and styles.

I think they are kind of trendy and square - just like crocs are (or were) trendy and hideous.

doc98 Fri 29-May-09 03:39:40

I had a pair of the Birkenstocks. They were wide enough to fit, but they hurt my feet so they went "bye bye".

Shells Fri 29-May-09 05:24:11

I love them and don't ever want them to be stylish.

alurkerspeaks Sun 31-May-09 19:36:35

They are fab. Look at footshopping.com

Some are very square, others are middling and some are downright trendy.

I don't care as long as I'm comfy.

CandleQueen Sun 31-May-09 19:39:35

I've got two pairs.
They last ages, are trendy but don't go out of fashion, come in lots of colours and styles and my chiropodist said they were some of the best shoes you could wear (she also said Crocs give good support too)

snickersnack Sun 31-May-09 19:41:32

I have a silver pair, I love them. I think they are fairly trendy. I would be careful about wearing them all summer though - they give fantastic support to your feet, but there is no absorption at all in the soles, so if you're doing lots of walking on pavements, you're at risk of getting a very painful (but fortunately temporary) condition called plantar fasciitis. Ouch. So if you do buy some, alternate with other shoes....

poopscoop Sun 31-May-09 19:41:49

They look comfortable but i always associate them with hairy au natrelle type folk. sorry.

forkhandles Sun 31-May-09 19:43:10

They are so comfy, once you've worn in the footbed a bit, and some of the colours and designs are great. I've got the narrow size which is a blessing if you've got narrow feet. Great if you like wearing flip flops in the summer but want some support.

Unicornvomit Sun 31-May-09 19:44:06

i have a pair, v v comfortable ,in a bronze colour

19fran76 Sun 31-May-09 19:46:34

I don't think that they're trendy, (though they had a recent peak in popularity a few years back) but they have a certain cool for being so unashamedly practical (comfortable & durable) & simple in styling (thinking madrid & gizeh). I am devoted to them because I walk everywhere.grin

Weegiemum Sun 31-May-09 19:49:06

I don't care if they are trendy or square, they are the most comfy shoes/sandals etc I have ever had.

They also save me wearing my bright orange crocs in public, which is probably a good thing

forkhandles Sun 31-May-09 19:53:58

no jewels on yours Lulu ?!

Unicornvomit Mon 01-Jun-09 07:10:28

grin sadly not, save those for DD wink

Blackduck Mon 01-Jun-09 07:18:43

HAte them - toe post is the most unforgiving plastic...(ouch!) Give me my Rikkers any day

cocolepew Mon 01-Jun-09 07:58:49

I wear the madrid, I have black, white,bronze and blue. I have plantar facillitis (sp) and these are the only shoes that help hmm they are vvv comfy and I am vvv trendy grin.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 01-Jun-09 08:08:39

i was just looking at some as a birkenstock virgin - was looking at these here but how do i know if they are blokes or womens? also worried will look like my mum!

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 01-Jun-09 08:13:54

yup seems they ar emens blush alo thinking of fit flops instead perhpas?

OrmIrian Mon 01-Jun-09 08:15:37

Neither. Comfortable.

PuppyMonkey Mon 01-Jun-09 08:20:26

Well, BonsoirAnna, who lives in Paris was raving about them on a thread I started the other week. She bloody loves them, she does. But then someone else came along and said they were only for Guardian readers. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now