Talk

Advanced search

Need a bed guard/rail which will fit a cotbed...

(20 Posts)
SarahL2 Wed 27-May-09 15:17:50

...but whenever I find a nice looking bed guard online and look at the reviews, they all seem to say - "nice rail blah blah blah, but too big to fit the cotbed"

Is there such a thing as a cotbed bedguard? - Preferably one that can be moved onto a single bed at a later stage - or are cotbeds completely pointless once you get to the transition stage?

MissisBoot Wed 27-May-09 15:22:45

I think as cotbeds are so low to the ground that there is no need for one - dd never fell out of bed in her cotbed or her normal bed. Its just another ploy to get you to purchase more stuff unless you have a child with additional needs.

SarahL2 Wed 27-May-09 15:53:09

DS is a wriggler. We often find him the opposite way up to the one we put him to bed in. Plus, his cot bed has a gap under it and a drawer so he is quite far off the floor.

I'd be happier if he had a rail.

MissisBoot Wed 27-May-09 16:34:23

How about putting some pillows on the floor just in case - you may find that once he's in a bed he may move around less.

How old is he?

SarahL2 Wed 27-May-09 16:38:20

He's 2.2.

Would leave him where he is but we're expecting baby number 2 in December and I really need his cot. Want to do it soon so he's used to his new bed before the baby comes so he doesn't feel pushed out. Just want to ease him into the new bed (as a friend had a real nightmare when she went straight from cot to bed) so want to try his cotbed with the side off for a while first. We also need to swap bedrooms so there is a lot to get done in slow, small steps.

I was hoping a bed guard would encourage him to stay in bed by making it harder to get out.

MissisBoot Wed 27-May-09 16:43:27

I'm not sure bedguards encourage them to stay in bed - I think once they discover they can get out they do.

Maybe its worth just taking a deep breath and putting him straight into a big bed - then you will only have one transition (from cot to bed) and less of a memory of the cot bed. You've still got a while before the baby arrives - congrats btw!

SarahL2 Wed 27-May-09 17:23:10

Thankyou

Straight from cot to bed was what my friend did and she's spent the last 4 months taking 3-4 (sometimes more) hours to get a previously OK sleeper to bed and then been up between 3 and 5 every morning!

I can't cope with that and pregnancy tiredness too so we're going to go slower...

Lucyloo81 Wed 27-May-09 17:37:55

We had this problem too and I got exactly what I needed from Ikea for £10 - it fits on cotbed really easily and has stopped ds rolling out during the night if he moves too much.

Definitely worth a look...

SarahL2 Wed 27-May-09 17:41:10

Thanksyou Lucyloo I will have a look

SarahL2 Fri 05-Jun-09 10:00:27

Tried the Ikea guard but DS's mattress sits on top of the wooden slats (not within the frame) so by the time the rail was attached and the mattress was back on, the rail only came about 2-3 inches above the level of the bad which I don't feel is enough to stop him rolling out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions please? We were going to take the side off this weekend!

SarahL2 Fri 05-Jun-09 10:13:40

Has anyone tried the pine mothercare one. It says it fits most of thier own brand cot beds...

SarahL2 Fri 05-Jun-09 10:24:18

Either that or I've read a rolled up blanket/pillow tucked under the fitted sheet works...

Any experience?

midnightexpress Fri 05-Jun-09 10:26:55

We have a mothercare one on ds1's cotbed and it's fine. It is adjustable so we also use it when we go to visit people or on hols and he has to sleep in a full size single bed.

SarahL2 Fri 05-Jun-09 13:32:46

Have bought one midnight Will test it out over the weekend.

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Fri 05-Jun-09 13:40:03

I used the side of an old cardboard box and some gaffer tape if that helps? I found all the bed rails were HUGE....

SarahL2 Fri 05-Jun-09 15:15:17

If this guard doesn't work, I could use the box it came in for your suggestion philanthropist. Thanks

helpYOUiWILL Fri 05-Jun-09 20:05:48

i have a mama and papa cot bed and the one that is perfect is a babydan travel rail - its compact enough for a cot bed but then folds down really small for travelling

helpYOUiWILL Fri 05-Jun-09 20:08:05

i also have a stairgate on the bedroom door to stop any wanderings

lisasimpson Fri 05-Jun-09 20:15:37

We have a Bruin one from Babies r Us and it sits on the slats on the cot bed frame. Have also used it on DS1's single bed, both fine.

SarahL2 Sat 06-Jun-09 16:23:05

Well, the Mothercare one fits and was easy to put together... but it has quite thick (15mm) square legs under the mattress and under a thin cotbed mattress that seems quite wide. We've padded out the space with blankets for now cause it was making his mattress all ripple-y. We tried laying on it and you couldn't feel the bars though.

Changed it all over this morning and this afternoon, nap time was a complete success!! We put him down for his nap and he went straight to sleep - no climbing out, no tears, nothing. Just hoping for a repeat performance at bed time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now