Talk

Advanced search

Baby Back carriers... HELP!!!!

(16 Posts)
FIZZCAT Tue 03-May-05 09:31:50

Please can somebody help, where do I start with baby back carriers, I have whitted it down to either Bush Baby or Lighterlife, light life or something, both look good.

Has anybody had experience of either.

I am soon to be living in Dorset and want to do coastal hikes with my 1 yr DS, who weighs in at about 26lbs.

Can you help me by preventing back ache and visists to endless physios!!!

Let me know your views

Thank you

Fizz cat

leahbump Tue 03-May-05 09:34:04

baby bush- great comfy and easily adjusted for either dh or me. We love it.

Also available on ebay for good price (ours was from there and is in great condition...may even buy another for ds2!).

No expereince of the others.

I would avaoid however the ones with metal bars that run down your bum/hips....ok for a skinny man (dh) but not a hippy gal.!

Marina Tue 03-May-05 09:48:00

We have been very pleased with our Bushbaby and used it up to the age of 19 months with ds and dd. It is adjustable so that more than one person can use it (helpful on longer walks when you might want to split the carrying).
We've used it loads.
Little Life weren't on the UK market when we got the Bushbaby but I hear they are also very good.
As well these products might be, at the price. Ours cost more than our second buggy

AuntyQuated Tue 03-May-05 09:53:34

we had a macpac---it was excellent and very good resale value. very comfortable for me -5'6" and DH -6'3".

pacinofan Tue 03-May-05 17:12:33

We have a BushBaby and I too would recommend it, provided of course that you will get plenty of use from it, as they are rather expensive. That said, the resale price can be good, so I have kept ours in pretty good condition.

The only thing I would say about it that is slightly negative is this: although BushBaby state that their carriers can be used until a child is 4, this seems unlikely to me. DD is 2, she weighs 30lbs (pretty average I'm told) and DH struggles to carry her (he is avergage weight/build). I really feel that the shelf life of these carriers is much less, say until toddler reaches 2 1/2, 3 if you're lucky.

FIZZCAT Tue 03-May-05 18:22:14

Thank you so much, I was leaning towards the Bush Baby, so know I will go a nd try a few oiut in the shops. Yes, I am a hippy sort of girl, so wil avoid the metal poles down the side

I have to say I wondered about the up to 4 yr old claim, as our little monkey is only just one and already 26ib, I dread to think what he will weigh at 4, I will be bent double

Thanks again

fizzcat

shrub Tue 03-May-05 18:47:34

i've got the bush baby carrier, it is lightweight for a framed carrier but i found a soft/fabric one called an 'ergo' carrier much easier for long treks. i think you can but them on bigmamaslings.com or co.uk

throckenholt Tue 03-May-05 18:49:33

another vote for the bush baby here too.

Actually I am selling mine - have a look at the for sale section (probably 2 weeks ago).

bensmum3 Tue 03-May-05 19:55:22

I don't want to upset a sale here, but I've got a Bushbaby and an Ergo carrier, We don't have a car, so walk or cycle everywhere, and I use my Ergo 98% of the time. The only time I use the Bushbaby is if I need to carry lots of stuff in the big pockets.
The Ergo is not only cheaper, it's much more comfortable for me and ds. It doesn't have the raincovers of the Bushbaby, but ds can snuggle into my back, so as long as he's got his waterproof on, he's much more sheltered.
The only negative side of the Ergo is the rucksack attatchment is smaller and it takes a while to get confident about putting it on with baby on your back.I've recommended it so many times I should be on commission

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 20:15:40

We've got a bush baby and love it - like someone else said, it's very easy to adjust for dh or me (he's 6' 3 and I'm 5' 6 so it does need adjustment!) and it's very comfy to carry. Not sure I'd carry my 4 yr old in but def carry my 2.5 yr old and my 8 month old (not at the same time obviously!!!)

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 20:16:11

It's also great as there is loads of space for carrying drinks, nappies etc so you don't really need a bag as well as the backpack.

jennifersofia Tue 03-May-05 23:36:57

Have a bushbaby and got on well with it. Liked the big back pocket for longer treks. Worked well with short narrow shouldered me and broader DH.
Haven't used the Ergo.
HTH

FIZZCAT Thu 05-May-05 21:58:32

Hi
I am now going to take all my notes and pop to the outdoor pursuits shops to try a few on. Armed with my new found knowledge I wll be a formidable shopper

Thank you to everyone who answered, really helped me get my head around this stuff

Fizz cat

Blondeinlondon Wed 18-May-05 06:19:37

Fizz cat
How did you get on?
I am looking for a carrier too but don't know what shops to try - where did you look?

lapsedrunner Wed 18-May-05 06:57:22

Try www.kelty.com, their back carriers are fantastic.

Chuffed Wed 18-May-05 09:26:13

Blondeinlondon, go to Covent Garden, places like snow and rock, field and trek have a range of different packs so you can compare them easily on the spot. We got our macpac from field and trek and love it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: