Talk

Advanced search

OMG DD just fell head first out of bumbo

(24 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Wed 06-May-09 14:15:19

shock

she is 5 months but sat really well on our knees for a while, we sat her in on the floors, shes been in it for a feww weeks.

We heard a thud and the'd gone out to the side face down onto the wood floor shock angry

Wusually have the tray on too

Disenchanted3 Wed 06-May-09 14:15:54

sorry, kyboard batteries dying ...

FabulousBakerGirl Wed 06-May-09 14:16:04

Is she okay?

Disenchanted3 Wed 06-May-09 14:17:11

Yes she cried a bit but seems fine now.

Am just very shocked, as so many people recommended them hmm

Marthasmama Wed 06-May-09 14:19:15

DD did that today too. She is 7 months and definitely did it on purpose. DS could escape from 6 months. They aren't great once dc can move about a bit. Is she ok? She probably just scared herself a bit.

Wigglesworth Wed 06-May-09 14:21:03

My DS (9 months) can get out of his, I found out he could do this when I left the room for a couple of seconds to get a drink of juice. When I returned the bumbo was empty and I heard a rustling in the corner of the living room, he was chewing his way through the newspaper shock.

JackBauerKillsPigs Wed 06-May-09 14:23:41

DD1 was fine in hers, DD2 got out of hers at 5 months by arching her back until she 'popped' out.
TBH, now she has worked out how to get out, I wouldn't put her back into it.
I am sure she will be fine though, they have bloody hard rubber heads at this agesmile

2Shoots Wed 06-May-09 14:24:49

My dd2 fell out of hers too so I stopped using it. Her little legs weren't chubby enough for it

Disenchanted3 Wed 06-May-09 14:25:12

I think it shit me up more.

DEFINATLY have tray on all the time now,

it is really handy but lost my faith now.

FabulousBakerGirl Wed 06-May-09 14:38:18

We had a bouncy chair from M&S. This was pre Bumbo and much better in my opinion.

Hope you are both okay. Chocolate and a stiff drink is on its way.

Eve4Walle Wed 06-May-09 14:39:14

I bought a Bumbo for my DS when he was about the same age, but he learnt to get out of it the same week and we weren't able to safely use it again.

Was a waste of money IMHO!

sazm Wed 06-May-09 15:38:04

yup im glad i bought mine cheap from a friend lol,as my lo has hated it from day 1 lol
tried in it from 3 months,now he is 4 months and still hates it!
he might like it one day lol

HensMum Wed 06-May-09 15:45:14

Eek that must have been scary! Is she OK? No bumps?

I loved our Bumbo but DS never worked out how to get out of it. I was still using it when he was 11months old. Really handy when I had to hang out the washing and the grass was too wet for him to sit on.

Disenchanted3 Wed 06-May-09 17:10:10

Hiya,

yes shes ok, no bump.

Shes back in there happily with her tray securely on!

naomi83 Wed 06-May-09 17:44:31

Waste of time IMO, either thty are skinny enough to wiggle out or too chubby to fit in. Bouncy seat in upright mode for age 4-5 months then lots of crawling time and sitting propped up by cushions. If you need to go to the loo etc use a travel cot filled with toys.

bambipie Wed 06-May-09 17:58:18

DD loved her bumbo. She learnt to get out of it at about 6months - TBH I'd be more worried if a baby didn't learn to get out of it at some point. She still sits in it now at 14 months when she has her elevenses and loves putting teddies etc in it!

mumbobumbo Sat 06-Jun-09 17:05:50

Had exactly the same experience as you - DD escaped > head first!

She was OK though, not far to fall.

Had only had it a month. Like one of the other posters, learned to arch her back and flip out of it.

We have laminate flooring, so falls of course are very worrying. I invested in a crash hat called a Thudguard, which has been a far better investment than the Bumbo. She falls over roughly once every 20 minutes, so its great.

kitkatqueen Tue 09-Jun-09 23:23:31

My Sister absolutly raved about her bumbo, so we put our dd in it aged 4 months and she climbed straight out - arched her back pulled her legs out one at a time and rolled sideways.

it happens.

icedgemsrock Wed 10-Jun-09 12:55:43

ooh mumbo i was interested in the thudguard, but heard their heads get really hot, suppose that's better than a fractured skull though. Does she wear the hat all the time in the house?

mumbobumbo Wed 10-Jun-09 18:49:00

icedgems...

She doesn't wear it in the playpen, but everywhere else yes, because of the hard flooring.

Its got ventilation holes in it, so her head doesn't get too hot.

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Jun-09 21:55:58

My DS has been able to get out of his Bumbo since he was about 5 months old. I thought at first that maybe he was too small to get "wedged in" properly, but no. I have to say, I don't think much to it. I got it from Ebay and picked it up locally. I would be very hacked off if I had paid full price for it!

Qally Thu 11-Jun-09 02:19:12

A woman in JL with a baby 3 weeks older than ds told us they were great, and then added, "I pop her up on the kitchen counter in hers, she loves it!"

shock

I decided there and then that I wasn't buying any item that woman thought was great.

shhhh Thu 11-Jun-09 20:56:32

but bumbo isn't really a chair for them to sit in alone iykiwm. It actually tells you not to leave then unattended and iir they used to have a pic on the box of a lo sat in the bumbo on a table..while saying "don't place on a table" !

Our ds and dd had one and tbh both eventually managed to get out..no idea how but often we would nip out, back within seconds to find them on the otherside of the room hmm.

Hope your dd is ok..smile.

mumbobumbo Sun 14-Jun-09 11:50:23

Qally

Some people really are stupid. I was talking to a mum at baby clinic, whose dd was 5 months. Was saying what a strong little girl she was, and the mum said "oh yes, its great - I can leave her alone on the sofa now!" shock

shhhh

Yes it does say that about bumbo, i.e. not to leave them alone in it. But it says that about EVERYTHING from high chairs to play pens. Which covers the manufacturers... but in real life we have to, from time to time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now