Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please please help me get rid of mice....

(34 Posts)
Eaney Fri 29-Apr-05 21:02:14

I have been trying ultrasonic repellent devices along with traps with some success but I can hear noises coming from inside our walls. This evening we saw one running outside in the garden towards our house.

I suspect we have a nest living in the wall between our neighbours house and ours.

Any tips gratefully received.

Xena Fri 29-Apr-05 21:05:46

I would get some proper mice poison and put down the back behind your kitchen cupboards thats where they are likely to run through and they will go back to their nest and fall asleep (dead)

sparklymieow Fri 29-Apr-05 21:07:22

want my cat......??? he just brought one in so is good at catching them!!

Posey Fri 29-Apr-05 21:30:09

When we had them, the pest control bloke said get a cat. Either borrow one for the weekend, or better still get your own. So we did and the mice just went away.

morningpaper Fri 29-Apr-05 21:33:54

Moved into a squat which was about three foot deep in mice and as soon as I brought my cat over, she took about a week to clear the place. It was brilliant.

You may have problems with footballs etc.

colinsmommy Fri 29-Apr-05 22:04:08

3 cats. We never had a problem in our house, but live in a rural area and saw one in the yard every once and awhile. Now we haven't seen one in months.

lilsmum Fri 29-Apr-05 22:11:14

i think the answer in a nutshell is get a cat lol

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 22:38:11

I could hear mice in my cavity wall a few weeks back. I'd rather eat my own head than get a cat (sorry cat lovers) so got some mice poison from the garden centre. No trouble since.

bossykate Fri 29-Apr-05 22:40:10

we tried an ultrasonic repellent plus traps without success. unfortunately, it was poison which proved effective.

Eaney Fri 29-Apr-05 22:49:53

Thanks guys. I thought about a cat but I have a three month old baby so not sure about getting one just yet. I aim to get one as soon as baby is a bit bigger.

My fear about poison is that they will die somewhere I can't get to and I will have a lovely stench. Did you have to search for bodies when you used poison.

bossykate Fri 29-Apr-05 22:51:33

no, modern poisons work in a way which (i don't understand/allow myself to think about) means you don't have search for the bodies or worry about the smell of decomposing mice. you do have to keep the poison out of the way of kids/food etc.

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 22:53:08

Well I didn't search for bodies...but come to think of it there has been a funny smell in our master bedroom recently. I was wondering if baby ds had widdled on the carpet and I hadn't realised...but now I'm thinking maybe it's a mousey corpse [dawning realisation emoticon].

No...it's probably stale widdle on the carpet. I'm just going to pop downstairs to check what it says on the box of poison re searching for bodies...back soon

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 22:54:57

Yes it says 'search for rodent bodies' on the packet

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 22:56:04

That was quick wasn't it - 49 seconds to get downstairs - check the box - and back again, plus post. I hope you are impressed by my athleticism.

misdee Fri 29-Apr-05 22:56:55

buy a football.

and a cat.

soapbox Fri 29-Apr-05 22:58:18

We've been plagued by rodents in the last couple of years - mice then rats now more blimming mice!

I am getting very close to giving in and getting a cat, but TBH the cat poo threads today have put me off again

Is the poo situation really that bad????

CatAttack Fri 29-Apr-05 22:58:38

Don't just buy a football on a whim, though. A football is for life, not just for mice.

dropinthe Fri 29-Apr-05 22:59:34

We have tried alot of things-glueey traps that caught about three. Poison that didnt seem to work then did! We still are riddled and I hate the buggers although when found one dying on our kitchen floor,nearly burst into tears!

bossykate Fri 29-Apr-05 23:00:50

crikey, hmc, we have never searched for any bodies and haven't had any problems... dh is a bit of an old hand when it comes to rodent infestation (academic = many, many years as a student), i'm sure he told me about the dessicating effects of modern poisons...

Caligula Fri 29-Apr-05 23:01:32

Soapbox, the poo situation is only bad if you live next door to the cat. If you actually live with it, it's fine!

Caligula Fri 29-Apr-05 23:02:35

Call me Lucrezia Borgia, but poison is the most effective way, apart from a cat.

What stuff have you got, HMC? Mine says the bodies dissolve quickly. Yuk.

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 23:03:26

Caligua - don't make me run downstairs again to get a brand name for you!

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 23:04:26

If you don't want a cat, you could always get a jack russel terrier. Excellent at chasing and killing rats and mice.

Catbert Fri 29-Apr-05 23:07:48

Oh! MICE! And there was me about to relay my bolognese, burger, chilli, and moussaka wisdom ...

bossykate Fri 29-Apr-05 23:09:55

oh go on, hmc, perhaps you can beat 49s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now