Talk

Advanced search

iPods- worth the money?

(23 Posts)
kazbeth Fri 01-May-09 20:29:46

Just wondering if they are worth the moneyor is there a cheaper alternative? I'm not interested in ability to play movies. my mp3 player is some crappy 256mb thing so don't know about decent ones.

thsnks

cocolepew Sat 09-May-09 17:17:18

I have the Shuffle and the sound quality is really good, it was only £31.

sammysamsam Tue 12-May-09 00:55:09

i have the nano (previous model - 3rd gen with screen) deffo worth the money due to its features and sleek looks- also, so slim, will fit into anything! sound is fab too

amazonianwoman Tue 12-May-09 09:40:39

Yes! We never buy CDs now - just download what we want from ITunes.

Take the Ipod in the car and hook it up to play via the radio, so no CDs rattling around the car. Download kids' audio books etc to keep them entertained.

Stick it in a docking station to play at home, or hook it up to the DVD player/surround sound system for excellent stereo sound.

I'm slowly working my way through downloading all our CDs onto our Ipod so I can free up some shelf space grin

Ours is 80gb I think - about £180?? but we got it free with DH's last mobile contract grin

Ledodgy Tue 12-May-09 09:41:57

I have a shuffle coming today. I ave just started running and my old MP3 player is too heavy. I'll let you know!

Molesworth Tue 12-May-09 09:42:47

I love my ipod, but have recently been alerted to the allegedly superior Sandisk Sansa range of mp3 players - look here

They have built in FM radio and a microphone to record notes to self. Plus the sound quality is allegedly better than ipod.

MatthewBellamysMuse Tue 12-May-09 09:43:43

I wouldn't buy anything other than an iPod.

bigTillyMint Tue 12-May-09 09:44:59

Ipods are great!

Amazonianwoman, can you recommend a good website for downloading audio books?

spokette Tue 12-May-09 10:12:28

I have an Ipod and it stopped working as soon as the warranty expired. Using the apple website, I have tried everything it suggests to get it working again (reload software etc). Very disappointed and miffed, especially as it was a Christmas present from DH!

PortoPandemico Tue 12-May-09 10:15:44

www.audible.co.uk very good for talking books!

I have an iPOD touch. I love it.

bigTillyMint Tue 12-May-09 10:33:02

Oooh thanks!

Do you pay for each book, like an itunes track?

MerlinsBeard Tue 12-May-09 10:35:56

yes yes yes!!

pretty much everything is geared for ipods (i mean docking station wise) itunes is easy to use too. my swanky mini nano doesn't work anymore (DS3s drink leaked on it and it went poof) but my ancient 1gb nano does, its the perfect size for running with too!

PortoPandemico Tue 12-May-09 10:44:59

bigTilly, yes, and there is functionality that downloads them into a folder on iTunes.

Molesworth Tue 12-May-09 14:55:26

You can buy a lead that allows you to play your ipod through your stereo system (much cheaper and better sound quality than buying a docking station, although docking station has the advantage of charging your ipod while you're using it).

PortoPandemico Tue 12-May-09 20:38:54

We have one that plugs into the car stereo. Shame DH hasn't loaded all his "oldie" music up yet! grin

QueenLizTheFirstOfScotland Tue 12-May-09 20:50:13

I bought dh the SanDisk SansaClip - half the price of the Nano, 4 times the memory of the shuffle, and includes a radio. Excellent sound quality.

Apple make good but expensive products, and you do pay for the design. There are other very high quality products out there if you aren't desperate for an IPod, and there is access to lots of other music databases, etc - mp3 is a standard format, after all.

Molesworth Wed 13-May-09 00:02:46

QueenLiz, does the radio work well? I'm thinking of getting a Sansa just for the radio facility. They look quite pretty on the design front too.

gigglewitch Wed 13-May-09 00:25:45

i love my ipod [classic] it's fab grin

bought ds1 a little sansa and it is fantastic for him, so i would recommend both, have confidence to go with your hunch and your budget [wnik]

gigglewitch Wed 13-May-09 00:26:17

wnik? ? ? i meant wink

QueenLizTheFirstOfScotland Wed 13-May-09 10:05:46

I think so - bought it for DH, and he's really happy with it. It's quite a funky little thing - not as pretty as the Apple ones, but just so much cheaper.

MatthewBellamysMuse Sat 16-May-09 01:37:57

Apple design is worth the extra, in my book. My laptop is an Apple Macbook and it's so beautiful I smile every time I get it out. worth the extra for sure.

Ripeberry Tue 14-Jul-09 16:50:20

Just got myself a £31 i pod shuffle and i've managed to work out how to use i tunes!
But does the i-pod have to be full up? When i hooked it up to the PC, the i-tunes via Apple filled it up full of ABBA!
How do i get them off! (i do like ABBA by the way), but i want to listen to specific tracks of my own.

Ripeberry Tue 14-Jul-09 20:33:47

Panic over, found out how to get rid of the ABBA grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now