Talk

Advanced search

cleaning a blackened fireplace

(9 Posts)
Carameli Fri 29-Apr-05 10:59:41

we have alovely fireplace with gas coals. I want to clean it up to make it shine nicely again, but its so so so so so so black and there are probably layers upon layers of dust and dirt frm years of previous neglect.

Does anyone have any great ideas. I have tried so many cleaning products without succeess, even tomato sauce and vinegar as someone told me to try.

any ideas???

sallystrawberry Fri 29-Apr-05 11:01:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anorak Fri 29-Apr-05 11:09:17

Yes WD40 is what the installer recommended for mine, and it brings it up beautifully.

Carameli Fri 29-Apr-05 11:10:48

great I will try that later.

Waswondering Fri 29-Apr-05 11:20:55

My mil swears by baby oil! (On the black bit, not in the grate obviously, or whoooosh!)

Waswondering Fri 29-Apr-05 11:20:59

My mil swears by baby oil! (On the black bit, not in the grate obviously, or whoooosh!)

Carameli Fri 29-Apr-05 11:25:08

so this may seem like a silly question but is the black bit at the back ever meant to look as shiny as the front. After vigorous scrubbing on a small part I have managed to get a slight bit to look like speckled bronze but wondering if I am ruining our fireplace???

assumpta Fri 29-Apr-05 18:40:12

Carameli, is it brass that you are trying to clean? If it is I can recommend dipping half a lemon in salt and rubbing like there was no tomorrow. You may get through a few lemons, but if it is brass it will bring it up like new. I know this as I used it on a really old fender which looked terrible, you should see it now!!

Carameli Sun 01-May-05 12:03:55

thanks will try the lemons as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now